Mike Satur Wheel Hub Adaptor Fitting - How To - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 17:16 Thread Starter

Car: TF160 + Freelander
Mike Satur Wheel Hub Adaptor Fitting - How To

There was a fair bit of info about the Mike Satur hub adaptors around, but no 'How To' that I could find... so I thought it only right to do one when I fitted mine yesterday

1. Jack the car up and insert axel stands in the correct locations.

2. Remove the wheel.

3. Clean the hub face to ensure there are no bits of grit or brake dust left behind which will interfere with the adaptors.

4. Insert 4 of the bolts (supplied) into the slot on the adaptor and place the existing wheel studs. Fix in place with 4 of the (supplied) nylock nuts onto the existing studs. These bolts need to be tightened, but not necessarily torqued yet. Depending on the wheels you want to fit, the length of the cut-off required may be different to mine. I needed to take my studs down to flush with the face of the adaptor as there was no room for them behind the new wheels.

5. Measure each stud to make sure you don't have a rogue length (I measured all 16 of them individually just to be on the safe side, remember measure twice - cut once ). I needed to remove approx 12mm from each of mine and marked this using PTFE tape.

6. Take the angle grinder and remove required length from each stud covering any hoses/bodywork etc to protect against tiny bits of moulten metal as you see fit. The ends of the cut studs will need to be either tapered or filed to remove the burrs and to make sure you can still thread on the new nuts.

7. Once all 4 studs have been cut to the required length, the adaptors can be fitted and the nuts on what's left of the existing studs torqued to 65 ft lbs.

8. All that's left then is to fit your new wheel to the new adjustable studs using the correct wheel nuts for your wheels and tightened to the correct torque, then stand back admire your efforts and realise that you have to reapeat the above another 3 times yet

Last edited by Fast Jan; 06-04-2009 at 17:39.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 18:14
CJJ

Car: MGTF 160, TF LE500, Nissan Leaf, KTM 990, Kangoo Van, Freelander 2.
Ooooh. I do like a lady with power tools. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCl_lD63D9o

Nice one Jan. I am still undecided whether to get the adaptors or modify some hubs. Do the new studs slide in the oval hole and allow you to use the TF and standard wheels?
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 18:16

Car: Project F2000 coming soon....
Nice job Jan!!
You realise that real men don't wear gloves though right??

Only thing i'd add to that is to get teh car up on stands on all four corners and mark up and trim all the studs in one hit, then taper the threads so that the nylock nuts start easily on them - can be a real mare getting the threads started otherwise. Then fit up all the adaptors.
Your way works just as well, but i figure while you have the grinder running its more economical timewise to do all 4 hubs in one run

Your lads mates must be in awe of your modding skills - you know more than most guys i know!!

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 18:54 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJ View Post
.. I am still undecided whether to get the adaptors or modify some hubs. Do the new studs slide in the oval hole and allow you to use the TF and standard wheels?
The new studs do slide (with a bit of persuasion) in the slots and it says on the MS site that they allow wheels from 95.25 to 114mm pcd to be used - so in theory yes, standard wheels can be fitted but I didn't actually try it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuCkY View Post
Nice job Jan!!
You realise that real men don't wear gloves though right??

Only thing i'd add to that is to get teh car up on stands on all four corners and mark up and trim all the studs in one hit..

Your lads mates must be in awe of your modding skills - you know more than most guys i know!!
I've only got 2 stands so did one side of the car at a time. In fact I did the measuring & marking and fitting etc but I got my OH to weild the angle grinder as I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Chopping the studs off was without doubt the scariest thing I've ever done to this car

The gloves were on as I had the front calipers off as well and brake dust is a bugger to get out of skinned knuckles

My kids mates (as do my kids) swing between thinking I'm either completely mad or a real cool mum and want me to adopt them
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 19:03

Car: Lexus IS 220d
excellent post jan, i hope both you and chris T doesnt mind, but i have added this thread to the new to the section hinits and tips thread. this how to will be invaluable to a lot of members.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 19:14 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
excellent post jan, i hope both you and chris T doesnt mind, but i have added this thread to the new to the section hinits and tips thread. this how to will be invaluable to a lot of members.
I'm honoured I think I have 2 how to's in there now
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 19:24

Car: MG TF 160 in Trophy Yellow
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 19:27
CJJ

Car: MGTF 160, TF LE500, Nissan Leaf, KTM 990, Kangoo Van, Freelander 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Jan View Post
I got my OH to weild the angle grinder as I just couldn't bring myself to do it.
Oh god. There goes my fantasy of ladies with power tools...although he does have nice hands. Does he moisturise?
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 19:33

Car: MGF
Aha my next job to do thanx for that, Just one thing can you buy the bolts shorter from anywhere (must be able to) as me with a grinder just doesnt go lol also what wheels are best to use offset wise, I think they advise 45 but what makes use that higher offset cheers
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 19:38 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJ View Post
Oh god. There goes my fantasy of ladies with power tools...although he does have nice hands. Does he moisturise?
S'ok you can carry on fantasising... I'm actually very good with most power tools - I just couldn't bring myself to butcher the studs I'd have done it on my OHs car, but not mine

Oh and he doesn't moisturise.. he just has an easy job
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 19:44
Never forgotten

Car: Astra CDX auto, Freelander TD4 & Freelander 1.8, Mini One
Send a message via MSN to MGFmad
Nice one Jan

How do you find the car to drive after fitting the adapters? Just wondered if there is any steering wheel shake at all.
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 19:46 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgf-jordanolly View Post
Aha my next job to do thanx for that, Just one thing can you buy the bolts shorter from anywhere (must be able to) as me with a grinder just doesnt go lol also what wheels are best to use offset wise, I think they advise 45 but what makes use that higher offset cheers

I've no idea if you can buy shorter studs, but you could always take the studs out and get them shortened by an engineering type firm I would imagine

MS quotes on his website that wheels with an offset of 40-46mm can be used. I did email him a couple of weeks back asking if 35mm offfset would work and he said although they would fit, it may cause handling issues and therefore he couldn't recommend it.

These wheels I've fitted have an offset of 45mm.
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 19:51

Car: 2010 MG Motor TF 135, Skoda Citigo 70ps Greentech, Triumph TR5T 500,Oh & a share in a Lightning F6
Quote of the week has got to be "Measure each stud to make sure you don't have a rogue length"

Sorry Jan.
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 19:52 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGFmad View Post
How do you find the car to drive after fitting the adapters? Just wondered if there is any steering wheel shake at all.

There is a tiny amount of vibration through the steering wheel at 70 ish mph, but I know my tracking is out slight anyway (uneven tyre wear taught me that much) so I couldn't say that the adaptors have exasperated that.

It's got 4 brand new tyres on too which need scrubbing in, so again this will be affecting handling a bit.

I'm gonna give it a couple of days before getting the tracking seen to and let the tyres scrub in and then can give a proper judgement on handling
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 19:53 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil.R View Post
Quote of the week has got to be "Measure each stud to make sure you don't have a rogue length"

Sorry Jan.

And so you should be!

This was built by MGR don't forget, who knows which parts bin the studs came out of
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 19:55

Car: MG TF 160 in Trophy Yellow
Quote:
......who knows which parts bin the studs came out of
that one at the back, forth row up...no, left a bit.....yep, thats the one.
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 20:00

Quote:
I've no idea if you can buy shorter studs, but you could always take the studs out and get them shortened by an engineering type firm I would imagine

MS quotes on his website that wheels with an offset of 40-46mm can be used. I did email him a couple of weeks back asking if 35mm offfset would work and he said although they would fit, it may cause handling issues and therefore he couldn't recommend it.

These wheels I've fitted have an offset of 45mm.
My ZR wheels are a 35mm offset i think, and i've noticed no adverse handling. Had the car flat out with them on on the old F and apart from the usual front end lift, they seemed fine.
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 20:06

Car: MGF
Ok thanx Jan, You say yours are 45 offset so what car were they for,sorry to ask again but been looking at quite a few wheels only to find out offset is far too low and if i knew the best fitment to use could just say there for a vauxhall as when trying to explain about adapters and offsets to people it gets awfully confusing lol
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 20:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgf-jordanolly View Post
Ok thanx Jan, You say yours are 45 offset so what car were they for,sorry to ask again but been looking at quite a few wheels only to find out offset is far too low and if i knew the best fitment to use could just say there for a vauxhall as when trying to explain about adapters and offsets to people it gets awfully confusing lol
Vauxhall rims all used to be ET49....not sure if thats still the case no though.
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 20:09 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petevick View Post
that one at the back, forth row up...no, left a bit.....yep, thats the one.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuCkY View Post
My ZR wheels are a 35mm offset i think, and i've noticed no adverse handling. Had the car flat out with them on on the old F and apart from the usual front end lift, they seemed fine.
Mike didn't say I couldn't use 35mm, just that he couldn't recommend it as the adaptors are designed to work with 40-46mm...