MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Mods: what to tell insurance

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  DeathFromAbove 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

what mods should you advise the insurance?

I understand that, potentially, all mods should be notified (even a change of the stereo unit or a mobile stand :), but what is more at risk then others?

Also, what is realistically checked by an insurance in UK?

In Italy I never heard about anyone being negated the cover since he changed something, or an insurance checking if a car has been modified (perhaps becase is less common doing modifications).

Also, any good company that handle mods, and cheap?

#3 ·
This ^^^^^^^^^^

Of course you could just ignore the fact that you are fundamentaly changing your vehicle to non-OEM - your car, your risk...

Good luck with the fight if the worst happens though.

#4 ·
Changing tyres from what is specified can be classed as a modification, the same with headlight bulbs or a non- oem back box and I don't mean a performance box! but how many people inform their insurance companies of that?

Informing the insurance company about mods, even cosmetic is more about the insurance company being aware of potential additional payout costs if the car is stolen or written off, hence the usual increase in cost as the payout may be more.

Basically if you don't tell them, and your car is stolen, burnt out, written off, they will only pay out on book cost and its tough luck on you for not telling them. It's the same as not having an MOT on a vehicle, technically they could refuse to payout as the car is not deemed as roadworthy without a current MOT, however; they payout but only bottom book costs no matter if the car is show room condition.

#10 ·
Certain mods don't appear to have any impact at all. For example I've recently told my insurance company (Admiral) that I have fitted a dash cam to my Rover 25. Their response was that it wouldn't make any difference to my policy, as it doesn't add any value to the vehicle (although it was still put down as a modification).

As a result, my monthly premiums have stayed at the price I was originally quoted for (£49.95) :)

#15 ·
Ok then how about this scenario.

You purchase a car that has been modified IE exhaust different wheels,and a different stereo.But as far as you know they were a standard fit from new as you know nothing about cars and car specs.

What would happen then in the event of an accident ??
This exactly. How many people buy a used car these days and know nothing of previous modifications by previous owners?

Of course, any mods 'should' be declared, but how on earth is any insurance company going to argue that the current owner did them and falsely did not notify them OR that the current owner was oblivious to the fact that the car had been modified.

As an example, a retrofit boot spoiler for a non-trophy MGF would be considered a modification from OEM spec, but to your average joe shopping for a car may well be totally unaware that the spoiler was a mod. and was just 'part of the car'

You pays your money, you takes your chances. Personally, I've declared my full SS exhaust that I fitted, however, I have done several other mods such as adding colour coded electric wing mirrors and changing door handles - these are things that I have not declared.

#12 ·
The problem is, how does a car buyer know the mods aren't standard items? For example, my standard 135 TF has been cosmetically and mechanically changed to look like a Spark, it has the Spark Alcantara seats with the MG logos, chrome ashtray, stainless handbrake button, chrome door handles, windbrake, chrome rings on the clocks, 11 spoke alloys and 4 pot AP callipers on the front. So, if I was to sell, unless I told a buyer about the cosmetic and mechanical changes they would have no real reason to believe it was not a standard TF. The only items which would tell it apart from the spark is the colour the Mk1 roll hoops and the large bore exit stainless rear box.

Also, many F's and TF's were sometimes not standard on leaving production line/showroom, additional extras for example air con, ABS, EPS (not standard on the early ones) Walnut trim, Chrome packs, different wheels, roll hoops, windbrakes, leather interior and paint could be purchased as extras either from the factory or dealers.

some of these cars are 20+ years old now, how many people out there have the original bill of sale to state what was added, cosmetically or mechanically? Out of the 8 F's and TF's I currently own, only one has the original bill of sale showing extras which include walnut trim, passenger air bag and ABS. Do I declare them as mods or not???

Modifications are a grey area, how many people have put a performance air filter in, had a re-map or notice their F or TF has different specs than others they have seen and feel compelled to inform their insurance company? very few I would assume

#13 ·
Modifications are a grey area, how many people have put a performance air filter in, had a re-map or notice their F or TF has different specs than others they have seen and feel compelled to inform their insurance company? very few I would assume
Absolutely right. I have only declared one mod ever. (V8 in a series 2 Landi) and if you think I am going to declare my SS underfloor coolant pipes, dream on.

#14 ·
All very valid points of course, but sadly ignorance is not an adequate excuse in the eyes of Insurance companies...

The onus is on the owner or buyer to be aware.

Reactions: Man in the Car
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.