My boot popper solution - MG-Rover.org Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By HammyTF

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 16:24 Thread Starter

Car: MG-TF, Mazda Mx5 Mk1, Mk3. Citroen C3 Picasso Exc, C3 Hatch
My boot popper solution

I've been wanting to fit an electric boot release for ages. I've seen the ones on ebay, but they are rather bulky, so, me being a simple guy, of simple means wanted a simple solution.

I like coming up with my own solutions.

First off, I wanted to use whatever is there...so I am using the heated rear window switch - that has the relay already and I kept the 25amp fuse in place. I decided also to utilise the HRW plug in the parcel shelf and took an earth from the handbrake switch.

Fed this up and around and through the boot direct to the lock.

Now for something different. I used my own solenoid - it's a push solenoid, is tiny and has 2.5n of push force when energised with 10mm of travel. There is enough spring force in the latch to push it back when non-energised. I fitted an in-line mini blade fuse on the positive side with a 3amp fuse.

This is hard to photograph... I didn't take any whilst doing it as my back is breaking - it's a flaming awkward place to work on that boot lock - I did climb into the boot once or twice, but this really made matters worse, not being as flexible as I used to be an all

The only thing I have left to do at some point is to modify the heated rear window switch to make it momentary...oh and cable tie a couple of cables... have left them loose so you can see them.

From the outside, apart from those to black and red wires, it looks bog standard

A bit closer...and still bog standard looking..

...a look at the lock and it still looks bog standard, but you can just see in on the righ, in the openingt a little device...

...and this is the best picture I can get.... you can see the solenoid, it fits in the space perfectly. It's bonded in. The plunger I changed for a one with a fole in the end - through this I put a bolt and that bolt sits up against the locking mechanism ready to push it. There are two strips of plastic on the inside of the frame to prevent the bolt twisting left or right. Simple job and only cost me 9

The key still operates as usual as the solenoid is not energised.

Well, that's my solution...
PatM and sundanceuk like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 17:13

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
Neat solution, do you have a link to the solenoid.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 21-04-2017, 15:34
Supporter

Car: TF160 2003
Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkingcars View Post
Neat solution, do you have a link to the solenoid.
id love to see the solenoid so I can take the guess-work out of what size it is. BTW- You garage looks similar to mine with all the push-bikes except I can't fit the MG in it for motorbikes...

Other modes of transport.
Range Rover Sport
Triumph Explorer
Yamaha R1
Honda 400/4
Mobylette V40
Mobylette Cady