Number Plates - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 02:28 Thread Starter

Car: MG TF
Number Plates

I have Carbon Gel number plates on my MGTF and it just failed the MOT because they were not Black on White and Black on Yellow. The manufacturer states on their site they are UK Legal. Has anyone had the same issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 03:06

Car: 25X, 25 1.6, 25 2.0D Rep:■■■■■■■■■■
A legal plate is plain and as it is issued from the factory, modded font,
colour and 3d effect technically do not classify as legal, I personally
like the plain boring ones, a fresh set of plates fitted with self adhesive
rather than screw look great and freshen up a car.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 05:27
Think before you type!

Car: Flame Red '95 MGF, 64 Suzuki Swift SZ-L, 13 VX Astra, 07 C1 & 59 Fiesta.
Unfortunately the manufacturer can claim whatever they like, but they are not the one testing your car.

I would suggest you take it up with them and try to get a refund.

For .org forum only search results in Google, add "site:mg-rover.org" after your search criteria

Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 06:50

Car: Lotus Elise
As my car was registered before the 2001 new style number plate, I’m legal to have the fonts from 1973 to 2001 (pre EU flag space on the left) so opted for the pressed aluminium plate and stuck on the car with double sided tape

the one that came with the car is the top one, the pressed aluminium, bottom one,

and as it’s pre 2001, no need to display the address or postcode of the number plate supplier on the plate
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 09:50

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
There is some confusion as to what is legal and what isn't.

Whilst it is legal for a pre- 2001 registered car to have its original plates without any markings other than the registration number, the law is that any replacement plate manufactured since then must comply with the new regulations. Proving the actual plate is a recent replacement is difficult, so it is possible to get away with that one.

On more recent plates, the rules are clear cut - the number must be in the designated font, of the correct size and spacing and on a plate with a retro-reflective background without any special effects (such as a honeycombe pattern), and must comply with the requirements of BSAU145d and must marked with the BSAU145d number. They must also be marked with the name and post code of the registration plate manufacturer or licenced supplier.

I would think the OPs MOT fail is purely because of the carbon effect on the lettering of the registration number. As I understand it, this type of lettering is perfectly acceptable to the regulations provided that the carbon effect is not such that it causes them to scatter reflected light and disfigure the number (remember, the rules are all about making sure registration plates are readable by ANPR cameras). If supplied by a reputable licensed supplier, they should be legal.

I would suggest contacting the supplier for advice - they may provide you with written evidence to show to the MOT tester concerned, and I would certainly go back to the MOT tester and directly ask for exact clarification as to why he has failed the plates (simply putting that they are not "black on white" or "black on yellow" is not sufficient as the correct type of carbon effect lettering does comply with the definition of black. Most plate suppliers will supply it as road legal (even Halfords sell them as road legal), so I think the tester is misinterpreting/misapplying the rules.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 13:19

another question, now we're leaving the EU, I shouldn't think there's a need for the EU symbol on the left, in fact I should think it would be illegal,

as countries not in the EU can't show the 12 yellow stars on their reg plate, indicating they are in the union, I wonder if when we drive over to France they will ask us to use the ISO country identifier not the one on the plate and if our Government will stop us having it on our cars?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollydog View Post
another question, now we're leaving the EU, I shouldn't think there's a need for the EU symbol on the left, in fact I should think it would be illegal,

as countries not in the EU can't show the 12 yellow stars on their reg plate, indicating they are in the union, I wonder if when we drive over to France they will ask us to use the ISO country identifier not the one on the plate and if our Government will stop us having it on our cars?
There is no need for the EU symbol on the left in any case - there is no requirement to have a country identifier on the registration plate at all.

I don't there is a requirement for an EU identifier when travelling abroad either? - the regulations in other countries all stipulate that a car travelling from abroad must be fitted with an identifier for its country of origin - that can be covered by the ISO identifier on the registration plate, or a separate label attached to the rear of the vehicle.

Once the UK leaves the EU, it will have no relevance and I assume phased out by prohibiting its use on newly made registration plates, but I doubt its continued use on existing plates will be banned.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 15:05

Car: MG ZS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollydog View Post

There will almost certainly be no regulation to have your plates changed.

Even if the car is no longer from a country in the EU they are simply going to do something like "no car registered after 20XX will be allowed to have one fitted"

As the amount of paperwork and fines required to actually implement it will be a waste of time.

That's down to whether the Tories are actually capable of dealing with this of course in the proper manner.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 21:36

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER-25X View Post
A legal plate is plain and as it is issued from the factory, modded font,
colour and 3d effect technically do not classify as legal,.......
When I worked for a main dealer we would register new cars and make the number plates, we used the 3d font.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 22:52

I was aware that the UK with Spain and Ireland (in the EU) didn’t ratify or sign the Vienna road traffic Convention, so are not obliged to have the country identifier on the numberplate,

as our government leave it to the car owner to have or not have the 12 stars on the number plate, I shouldn’t think they would be bothered if we kept them on our existing cars or not

I was just wondering what peoples opinion is after we do leaven, if the EU would object to us still having the 12 stars with the GB on our (existing) numberplate and knowing what the French police are like, might get a fine
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 11:34

Car: Rover 45
I have two trailer's, I have made up my own number plates with as close a font as I can find and they are more black on a fairly light yellow than orange, are they legal?

Sent from my X5 using Tapatalk
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 11:56

If you have proper blank number plates made of the correct material and carrying the British standard mark (BSAU145d) in the bottom right corner, then they should be legal. If you have stuck or printed the registration number ont a random piece of yellow board or card, then no, they will not be legally compliant.

To be legal, the plate has to carry the registration in the correct font, with the digits of the specified size. The digits must be black/dark and non reflective, and the background must comply with the specifications laid down in BSAU145d, which includes that it must be retro reflective (white for the front, yellow for the rear), and must be able to distort to a specified amount, and return to its original shape amongst other things. The plate must carry the BSAU145d imprint at the bottom right corner to show that it complies, and must have the name and postcode of the licensed maker or issuer clearly marked on it.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 12:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
If you have proper blank number plates made of the correct material and carrying the British standard mark (BSAU145d) in the bottom right corner, then they should be legal. If you have stuck or printed the registration number ont a random piece of yellow board or card, then no, they will not be legally compliant.

To be legal, the plate has to carry the registration in the correct font, with the digits of the specified size. The digits must be black/dark and non reflective, and the background must comply with the specifications laid down in BSAU145d, which includes that it must be retro reflective (white for the front, yellow for the rear), and must be able to distort to a specified amount, and return to its original shape amongst other things. The plate must carry the BSAU145d imprint at the bottom right corner to show that it complies, and must have the name and postcode of the licensed maker or issuer clearly marked on it.
OK, not then! I used an old number plate but printed the number out on paper and then fablon'ed it for waterproofing, been using them a few years and not been stopped! what is the penalty if any?

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 12:34

If you have no previous history of motoring offences, you would probably just get a verbal warning about it the first time you get stopped. They can issue a fixed penalty notice, and a requirement to get it changed and taken to be verified. However, you are only likely to be stopped if a policeman actually notices there is something not right, and if the colour and font appears correct at a glance, it probably won't be spotted.

To be honest, the cost of getting a correct plate made up isn't that expensive, so probably worth doing.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 12:41

Car: 25X, 25 1.6, 25 2.0D Rep:■■■■■■■■■■
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkingcars View Post
When I worked for a main dealer we would register new cars and make the number plates, we used the 3d font.

I was on about raised 3D font rather than flat, should have specified more.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 13:42

Car: MGF
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonergooner View Post
what is the penalty if any?

Number Plate Offences and Punishments

Displaying number plates - Gov.UK
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 14:39

And it makes no difference that it is on a trailer rather than a vehicle?

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 16-02-2017, 00:11
CJJ

Car: MGTF 160, TF LE500, Nissan Leaf, KTM 990, Kangoo Van, Freelander 2.
I doubt it as the trailer becomes part of the vehicle.

People should make themselves aware of numberplate, lighting regulations because there is a possibility that you will get caught out if you don't comply with them.

A policeman won't pull you over for a numberplate (Unless it is obviously flawed) but they may give your car closer inspection if they pull you over for something else.