Odd alarm behaviour!! - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-08-2009, 13:35 Thread Starter

Car: Vectra 2.2 Design
Odd alarm behaviour!!

Ive never had a prob with my mgfs alarm but for some reason today it decided to go off. Ran to car from work thinking someone breaking into my baby and there was nothing.

Reset it and two mins later it went off again!

Same again, reset, and 2 mins later it went off again.

So locked car with key only and decided to try wd40ing a few things such as locks and contact switches and also replaced the keyfob battery and then locked the car with the fob.

Now 10 mins on.....and fingers crossed.....its not gone off again, has anyone else experienced such weirdness???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-08-2009, 13:46
Trader Supporter

Car: MGF, Alfa MITO, Volvo C70 and Maserati 3200GT 365bhp
Garages
maybe it's insects?
Iniside the car setting off the alarm.

TT MK7 exhausts for MGF and TF sold out next batch ordered. .
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-08-2009, 17:26

Car: MGF 1.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeagol_vvc View Post
Ive never had a prob with my mgfs alarm but for some reason today it decided to go off. Ran to car from work thinking someone breaking into my baby and there was nothing.

Reset it and two mins later it went off again!

Same again, reset, and 2 mins later it went off again.

So locked car with key only and decided to try wd40ing a few things such as locks and contact switches and also replaced the keyfob battery and then locked the car with the fob.

Now 10 mins on.....and fingers crossed.....its not gone off again, has anyone else experienced such weirdness???
Yes. I have. Its damn annoying! Mine does exactly the same as yours and makes me look like an utter t*t running back and forth to turn my car alarm off.

Apparently it has something to do with a sensor in the T-Bar that if it gets moved (or something along those lines) it will just keep going off.. I don't think it does it if you use the key and not the fob!

I really need to know how to fix it!!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-08-2009, 18:07

Car: MGF
I've been having the same problem. It only happened when i have been driving with the hood down. when i put it up, lock up the car, low and behold alarm goes off. Found the hood wasnt quite secured properly. What a dill
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-08-2009, 19:59
Banned

Send a message via MSN to MG_CHIC
Don't know if it's any help but my Blackberry is guarunteed to set the alarm off if I leave it in the car. Happens every time. I know it may sound optimistic but any chance you left your mobile in the car?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-08-2009, 20:07
CJJ

Car: MGTF 160, TF LE500, Nissan Leaf, KTM 990, Kangoo Van, Freelander 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG_CHIC View Post
Don't know if it's any help but my Blackberry is guarunteed to set the alarm off if I leave it in the car. Happens every time. I know it may sound optimistic but any chance you left your mobile in the car?
Is it just blackberrys? I have left other fruit in the car with no problems.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-08-2009, 20:10
CJJ

Car: MGTF 160, TF LE500, Nissan Leaf, KTM 990, Kangoo Van, Freelander 2.
You can have the sensitivity of the volumetric alarm adjusted on a testbook machine.

Things that can set off the volumetric alarm can be insects, thermal changes (sun coming up etc) and drafts (which can be down to vents open etc).

Other problems can be down to damaged wiring, faulty/worn micro switches in the locks and RF interference from external sources, such as CB radios/taxis etc.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-08-2009, 20:31

Car: Tigger, MGF 1.8mpi 2001, ST Orange
Mine has a mind of its own too... Lock the car up one day fine, lock it up the same way another and off it goes!!
Mine is off to see a mate who can fix it!!!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-08-2009, 20:35
Banned

Send a message via MSN to MG_CHIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJ View Post
Is it just blackberrys? I have left other fruit in the car with no problems.
Seem's to just be blackberry's at the momenet. I tested 5 different types of fruit in the control group and five different types in the test group. Using the results from this study I was able to conclude that there are more than ten fruits and therfore further analysis will be needed.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-08-2009, 20:44

Car: MGF 1.8 mpi Tahiti Blue
Send a message via MSN to Billy-Whizz
Had the same issue..... Lifted the bonnet and pushed the black plunge switch, top left corner facing car, in and out a few times. There was also a dry leaf in the vacinity but unsure what if any effect that had..... Anyhoo not had any problems since