Odd response - MG-Rover.org Forums
 6Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 18:54 Thread Starter

Car: MGF
Odd response

I wonder if anyone may be able to help, or indeed had a similar experience to me?
I went on the mgfntfbit face book site to ask if they had a wishbone for my F. They got back and said they did have, both new and second-hand. I asked what the bushes were like on the second-hand ones, to which I got a really off handed reply. They appears that they may not like me asking questions. I wrote back to them and asked why they had got so anxious about this question. I have had nothing back from them, and I seem to be blocked from their face book site.
Now, I donít think thatís as a customer it is inappropriate of me to ask questions about a used item, do you? Indeed I have corresponded with another supplier who quite helpfully sent me pictures of the item, not too much trouble I would have though this day and age to do this.
It just appears odd to me and I did wonder if anyone else had had a similar response. Needless to say I didnít buy from them.
Thanks Peeps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 19:00

Car: 25X, 25 1.6, 25 2.0D Rep:■■■■■■■■■■
Used MGFandTFBits many times and I have never had any issues with them.

What was the exact question you asked about the bushes and what was the 'off handed' remark ?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 19:03

Car: Rover 620ti, 2x 1996 MGF, 4x MG TF, Mazda Bongo, 2x 1999 MGF, 1972 Ford Cortina Mk3 Citroen Picasso
Asked once for a price on front stainless subframe mounts, came back with a cost more expensive than their fleabay site, queried the price, they never responded. not bothered with them since. when I need front subframe mounts I buy from mg mania these days, cheaper on most parts and better service

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 19:21
Supporter

Car: MG TF 160
I use Bitz as my main source of parts, and I have had nothing but first class prices, advice and when I don't collect in person, next day postage.
Daz has often gave me extras at no extra cost, like new nuts and bolts etc when buying parts that need to be bolted on such as subframe mounts.
I bought a TT mk7 exhaust of him just before Christmas(£300 - cheapest I have found) and he threw in free gaskets and new stainless bolts and a hanger. When I mentioned I may have an intermittent sticky IACV he even gave me one FOC to keep as a spare just in case, so personally I cannot fault their prices and service.
If you ever visit the place, you can see the dedication they have to keep the F and TF dream going, as they restore many vehicles and sell them on.
I suggest when you asked them what sort of conditions the bushes were in, they may have taken a slight offence in that you were asking a question that implied they may have been selling below par parts!
When I first went there I found Daz to be at first quite a headstrong character, but when you get to know him, he is a really sound guy and one who will do anything to help.
Sundance
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 19:27 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER-25X View Post
Used MGFandTFBits many times and I have never had any issues with them.

What was the exact question you asked about the bushes and what was the 'off handed' remark ?
I asked what were the bushes like on the used items. I could of course post the questions on here but as I'm blocked from their facebook site them I cannot access them. I did wonder if the thread had been deleted? From memory, it seemed they were questioning why I would ask the question? as they respected the owners of these cars keeping them on the road and had a real interest in them, something like, 'why in earth' would I ask that? was one phrase used I think, I think they meant why on earth! Simple reason was because I needed to know, like I said it was no trouble for the other supplier to actually take pictures so I know exactly what I was getting. Very strange, and a bit sad really as people are very, very helpful and always willing to give advice and tips, so this was a surprise really.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 19:46

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
As you say, a very strange response to a simple question. Why not just sy they are in good condition for a used part (unless of course, they aren't).

I have myself sometimes been surprised by the response (or more often the lack of any response at all) when asking a question of a second hand seller (usualy on eBay). Makes you wonder whether they rally want the trade?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 18:31

Car: 1995 MGF 1.8
Always had great service from them, ordered lots of things and found the prices reasonable. Always had fast delivery sometimes next day, again p+p reasonable.
Maybe just an off day or up the wall...
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 20:26

Car: MGF VVC MK2
Sorry to hear.
I had bought more than one thing from them, and had always had an adequate service.
A couple of times I ve bought an item as new, but got the impression it was used.
Never bothered to check if I was wrong, as itema always working fine.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 17:04

Location: West Sussex Darn Sarf But still a Black Country Lad
Car: MGTF 160 VOODOO
When i had an MGTF Darren & Jill were always helpful, always a quick delivery.. I notice you have posted the same complaint on various FB forums, i think the responses were in favour of a good service from Darren & Jill
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 21:23

It just might be the fact that if they sell a part like a wishbone it is in
a good serviceable and useable condition, that includes the bushes so
by asking what there like as innocent as it sounds implies that they
might be selling wishbones with duff bushed which it pointless, but
either way they provide a great service and posting on multiple
platforms about a 'bad service, is a little odd to me.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 13-02-2017, 10:00

OMG, you think it is appropriate to moan about a company on a forum sponsored by the same company!!
To be frank a second hand wishbone will make next to no profit, and if you then have to run around taking and sending photos I can understand Darren's lack of response.
Without being harsh, phone any scrap yard and ask them for that service and I suspect you will get a similar response.

I know our cars mean a lot to us and we want the best but lets be reasonable here.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 13-02-2017, 14:55

Location: West Sussex Darn Sarf But still a Black Country Lad
Car: MGTF 160 VOODOO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER-25X View Post
It just might be the fact that if they sell a part like a wishbone it is in
a good serviceable and useable condition, that includes the bushes so
by asking what there like as innocent as it sounds implies that they
might be selling wishbones with duff bushed which it pointless, but
either way they provide a great service and posting on multiple
platforms about a 'bad service, is a little odd to me.
The Op has posted on lots of forums about this, WHY ? Darren & Jill are nice hardworking people.
The OP probably wanted something for nothing with attitude..
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 13-02-2017, 16:07

Car: MG TF 135 Spark
Quote:
Originally Posted by john-mono View Post
The Op has posted on lots of forums about this, WHY ? Darren & Jill are nice hardworking people.
The OP probably wanted something for nothing with attitude..
I have to agree I have always found Darren & Jill very helpful when I've had dealings with them.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 13-02-2017, 18:25

Despite the best intentions, folks still dont understand each other... its not a new problem... its an old one... if it didnt exist and everyone knew what everyone else was giving... there would be no understanding problems.

folks not understanding each other is old news... i think..
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 13-02-2017, 18:41

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
It wasn't an unreasonable question to ask for someone who doesn't know the supplier from Adam.
schrimy likes this.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 14-02-2017, 17:23

Car: MGF VVC MK2
We don t know what happened between the two parties.
If the question was polite, one off, a series of pedantic question aiming at a discountn

Whatever it is, I personally think the topic has spent his life.

Happy online shopping.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 14-02-2017, 19:35

Car: MG ZS 120+ , MG ZR TD, MG TF 135 and MG3 Style.
I am sad to say that I have had a similar experience with the lovely Darren.

I have no issues with the quality of his parts or service/knowledge but his attitude leaves a lot to be desired.

I work in Retail myself and if I spoke to my customers like Darren has spoken to me then I wouldn't have any left.

He doesn't like you asking a lot of questions but the problem is he doesn't answer a lot of them and then gets annoyed if you repeat the question.

Maybe he just doesn't like me and that's fine. We can't all get along but business is business.....and he won't ever get any from me.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 16-02-2017, 01:00
CJJ

Car: MGTF 160, TF LE500, Nissan Leaf, KTM 990, Kangoo Van, Freelander 2.
They are good guys, but, as the song goes.... They are only human.

I can't even begin to imagine how many weird and wonderful questions they get asked.

Not saying yours was one of them, but as they are pretty professional people, they may have thought "Why would we sell anything with duff bushes".
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 16-02-2017, 20:51

That was my though mate but I think this thread has run its course now.
dert, schrimy and Mikeadman like this.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 17-02-2017, 10:08

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJ View Post
.......they may have thought "Why would we sell anything with duff bushes".
As there are a considerable number of people who have recieved less than useable 2nd hand parts from online breakers in the past, any seller who is going to get uptight if someone asks for verification of the condition of a part they are buying, it should not be a surprise.......and quite honestly, if a seller took the hump about being asked such a question, that would answer all my questions about them at a stroke

However, we are only hearing one side of the event here; perhaps there is more to it than we know about?
maluk likes this.
Closed Thread