Odd starting behaviour.. - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-10-2012, 11:00 Thread Starter

Car: MGF
Odd starting behaviour..

Hi all,

My 97 mgf vvc has been playing up recently.. it seems to be related to filling up with fuel, when I stop at a petrol station, fill up and try and start the engine, it just ticks over and over and never gets the fire. I leave it for a while, and try again and repeat and eventually (with fingers crossed) it starts. It has on occasion just refused to start though and its very embarrassing.

So far I have put it down to stopping to refuel because mainly I don't have any other reason to stop in a journey. In the mornings, it seems to start ok.

I have so far replaced the coils, taken off my Magnecor leads and cleaned the ends, taken out the sparks and cleaned them and tested they all spark fine. I have a new starter motor and the cut off fuel switch isn't an issue because it does on most occasions eventually start if I am lucky.

What else could it be?

Was running fine and then just like that this started happening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-10-2012, 12:05

Car: Audi TT 225 Quatrro
How far are you running it before refuelling?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-10-2012, 13:15 Thread Starter

An example, last night I made the trip from Portsmouth to London, stopped just past Guildford to refuel.
So about 40 miles, but I did a trip the other day which was less than 4 miles and same thing at the fueling station.

Last edited by timahole; 22-10-2012 at 20:14.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-10-2012, 14:25 Thread Starter

Where should I go next? Fuel filter change?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-10-2012, 14:53

Car: TF160
Another way to look at it is that it doesnt start when warm - in which case I'd start with the engine temp sensor, especially if all the other serviceable items are 'good'.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 10:58 Thread Starter

Hey Jason,

So is that the ambient air sensor you are referring to or the sensor that goes into the top of the engine?

Thanks for your reply.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 11:43

Car: TF160
It's the brown sensor (I think they are brown on your age of F) located on the exhaust manifold side of the head.

I know it's a common thing re hot start problems, especially if as you say, all the 'normal' service items are good.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 11:47
Hobbyist

Car: MG TF 160, ZR 2.0 Diesel
Probably just me thinking like a mad man but have you tried doing a journey, then stopping engine, then restarting without taking the petrol cap off, see if it does the same? otherwise my thinking is that when you take to cap off, any fuel in the pump runs back to tank, it could be that the pump isnt priming properly hence why it takes a while to fire up?

Steve
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 13:31 Thread Starter

Thanks Jason I'll get that replaced and Steve yeah need to narrow down exactly whats going on here - I'll do as you suggest the next time I'm on a longer run, my worry is stopping and then the car not starting up again

Thanks both will report back.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 13:34
Hobbyist

Car: MG TF 160, ZR 2.0 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by timahole View Post
Thanks Jason I'll get that replaced and Steve yeah need to narrow down exactly whats going on here - I'll do as you suggest the next time I'm on a longer run, my worry is stopping and then the car not starting up again

Thanks both will report back.
There must be times where you pop to the shops for a minute, return to the car and try to start? what happens? if all ok then you've narrowed it down.

Do you use the same petrol station all the time? it may be possessed by the devil