Parking Sensors - MG-Rover.org Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By sundanceuk
  • 2 Post By IanMc

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 21-04-2017, 10:16 Thread Starter

Car: MGF
Parking Sensors

Just ordered a pack of 4 reverse sensors from e-bay. it comes with the drill bit for cutting out for the sensors. Going to put them on the rear. Does anyone know where to drill on the bumper and where not to drill don't want to hit steel or crash cans. Can it be done without removing the bumper?? Any advice would be welcome please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 21-04-2017, 11:31
Supporter

Car: TF160 2003
Garages
I've fitted an 8 set from China with no problems, no drilling of body/metal- just the rear bumper. It is an art to line up the 4 of them centrally and once you have drilled the hole- thats that (if I'm honest, one is slightly too high). i used a piece of string taped across the bumper to give me a straight-line. then equally marked/measured the pilot holes.
I mounted the speaker/tone unit in the boot and i can hear it (I'm old and a bit mutton) but if music is on the wireless (I did say i was...) then, i just turn it down . if someone is talking (usually my son, but now he drives the problem has gone- i just used to tell him shhhh- Dads reversing!)

Some non-MG folks took the mick that I bothered with such a small car- but believe me- it will save little knocks and park you closer than you dare!

Other modes of transport.
Range Rover Sport
Triumph Explorer
Yamaha R1
Honda 400/4
Mobylette V40
Mobylette Cady
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 21-04-2017, 12:42 Thread Starter

Thanks Pat, I was worried about what you might hit behind when drilling and if the space behind is deep enough to take the sensors and wiring. It may depend on the position of the line you decide to drill on

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 21-04-2017, 12:50
Supporter

Car: TF160 2003
Garages
I was trying to drag/drop the picture on a Mac/photos but couldn't- succeeded now- Mines the one on the Left...with the parking sensors. it sometimes has a chat with another down at the station where I park it if I'm in to London for the day...:-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0623.jpg (185.7 KB, 19 views)

Other modes of transport.
Range Rover Sport
Triumph Explorer
Yamaha R1
Honda 400/4
Mobylette V40
Mobylette Cady
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 21-04-2017, 13:16

Car: MG TF
the only real thing to be wary of is the crash cans, these are just above the exhausts other than that you're good to go.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 21-04-2017, 13:47
Supporter

Car: MG TF 160
Here is where mine are and they work great, may give you some idea of where to drill. I took my bumper off and ended up having to repair the top brackets and fitting new crash cans, thanks to the dreaded tinworm. The top bracket bolts all sheared off when I tried to undo them.
I also put my audible bleeper in the T-Bar behind the passenger seat, so its well audible over my TT exhaust!
Sundance
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 21-04-2017, 15:33 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundanceuk View Post
Here is where mine are and they work great, may give you some idea of where to drill. I took my bumper off and ended up having to repair the top brackets and fitting new crash cans, thanks to the dreaded tinworm. The top bracket bolts all sheared off when I tried to undo them.
I also put my audible bleeper in the T-Bar behind the passenger seat, so its well audible over my TT exhaust!
Sundance
Thanks Sundance, wonder can you access the wiring on the sensors to get them into the boot with the bumber left on during fitting?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 21-04-2017, 15:39 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM View Post
I was trying to drag/drop the picture on a Mac/photos but couldn't- succeeded now- Mines the one on the Left...with the parking sensors. it sometimes has a chat with another down at the station where I park it if I'm in to London for the day...:-)
They look happy out chatting away there for a while
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 21-04-2017, 16:13

Car: MG TF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobby View Post
Thanks Sundance, wonder can you access the wiring on the sensors to get them into the boot with the bumber left on during fitting?

Yes you can, just remove the rubber gromit the number plate lights go through.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 21-04-2017, 17:39
Supporter

Car: MG TF 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by g1nga View Post
Yes you can, just remove the rubber gromit the number plate lights go through.
Yes a Ginga says you can fit them, but I was glad I removed my bumper to be honest as it gave me a chance to treat some rust that appeared on the rear panel and replace the crash cans and rusted brackets. While the bumper was off I also fitted my reversing camera and cleaned the stainless steel grille behind the number plate.
I was most concerned with the rust on the rear panel, but a bit of sanding and treating with jenolite and repaint with grey paint (don't matter about the match as its not seen) and it was good as new.
Sundance
Mikeadman likes this.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 22-04-2017, 09:48

Location: Originally from Bath UK, now Meggen, Lucerne Switzerland
Car: MGF VVC and Audi A6 3.0 ltr Quattro Avant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobby View Post
I would take off the bumper and be sure not to drill where there are obstructions. Drill holes, fit sensors and then connect up the wiring to the sensors. Feed wiring into the boot via a rubber grommet (use the number plate light wiring hole?) and then reconnect bumper.

You appear to have a MGF so there is 2 nuts (or is it three - I forget) inside the boot to unscrew (hidden by the boot carpet), two large bolts close to the number plate and a couple of screws on each wheel arch. All of 10 minutes to undo.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 22-04-2017, 20:36 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Foulger View Post
I would take off the bumper and be sure not to drill where there are obstructions. Drill holes, fit sensors and then connect up the wiring to the sensors. Feed wiring into the boot via a rubber grommet (use the number plate light wiring hole?) and then reconnect bumper.

You appear to have a MGF so there is 2 nuts (or is it three - I forget) inside the boot to unscrew (hidden by the boot carpet), two large bolts close to the number plate and a couple of screws on each wheel arch. All of 10 minutes to undo.
Thanks for the advice Julian might be best to do as you have kindly outlined. A little more confident now Thanks
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 23-04-2017, 06:01
Stuck in the 80's...

Car: Flame Red '95 MGF, 17 Mini Cooper S, 13 VX Astra, 15 VX Corsa & 59 Fiesta.
The instructions will provide you with a minimum recommended height from the floor, follow this and locate a flat surface on the bumper to drill to ensure the sensors sit 'square' with no 'lifted' edges.

Measure at least twice, then check again before you even think about drilling.

I have fitted four of this type of kit to our fleet (but not to my F) and they are simple to install if you take your time and carefully plan the job.

Good luck and enjoy the benefits.
Incony and TF_Tom like this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For .org forum only search results in Google, add "site:mg-rover.org" after your search criteria

Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself.