Well, now that I am a man of leisure I have no excuse not to start playing with the project engine.
I am starting this thread so that I can ask questions when stuck, show progress and generally post some pictures. Progress will still be slow.
Please feel free to add to this with any ideas that you may have, no matter how daft, and I will give them due consideration.
This will be running along my other project thread, but that is more to do with supercharger related topics.
TF Supercharger Project Thread
I picked the engine/gearbox/subframe up from Birmingham on the 1st of Feb 08, but apart from stealing bits off it for my existing engine, it has just sat there.
So I decided to start stripping it down at midday on Thurs. I didn't get the engine on the engine stand until about 8pm.
I started by removing the engine mounts (The rear sump one was already undone).
I then removed the hubs which have brand new discs and pads (nice), and released the driveshafts from the gearbox (Some more useful spares).
Thanks to Dr Dave for the help. To release the driveshafts I pushed a tyre lever up between the gearbox and shaft and carefully levered it until it released. Care should be taken not to damage the shaft seals, but to be honest I wasn't that bothered as I will be replacing them anyway.
Once the driveshafts were removed I could carefully lift the engine and gearbox out of the subframe.
Next job was to remove some of the pipework, which had been cut anyway. Never mind, I will be replacing with new anyway.
One thing I did discover was just how much oil the gearbox contains. I didn't even consider that once the driveshafts were removed there was nothing stopping the floodgates from opening once the engine was tilted. You can see a small pool of oil on the floor, but if you look carefully, you can see a larger stain that I had already cleaned up. Doh. To be honest, it would have been a faff to drain with the engine/gearbox at floor level, so I have a bit of an excuse.
Next was to remove the starter motor, which was a bolt on 12V supply, an inline crimp solenoid supply and 2 bolts that also act as 2 of the main gearbox to engine bolts.
And then seperating the gearbox from the engine
The clutch then came off and the engine was fitted to the engine stand.
Next will come removal of the ancilliarys, plastics, waterpump and head.