MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Rear camshaft cover / seal

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Man in the Car 
#1 ·
I have an MGF early Mk 1 which I bought recently. It is an MoT failure on emissions and an advisory of an oil leak. The leak is quite excessive and I have found today that it is coming out of the rear camshaft cover plate next to the distributor. It appears that someone previously make have put sealant round the plate but from what I have read, this probably shouldn't be doing the sealing.
Therefore, does this mean that the camshaft oil seal itself has gone, and if so, can this be changed quite easily, i.e. without any special tools? Are do I have a more serious problem, e.g. camshaft?

#4 ·
On the MGF 1.8 Mpi aren't the oil seal and the cover (opposite the dizzy) drive two different things?

It's been a while since I was last under there though, so maybe I dreamt that ...

#5 ·
I had exactly the same leak not too long ago from one of my cam seals. Fortunately then it was the 'easy' end and was fixed quickly. It now seems I am in the same boat again, but this time it seems to be coming from the timing belt end as when I get the car out of the garage, there are quite a lot of drops immediately below that area. I must get it seen to really.........don't have the tools or skills to do it myself though.

#12 ·
Just an update to say that I received the seal today and it is fitted, in fact, it was a doddle. Although I have to say that the bodge was just incredible...Not only did the plate have a silicone bead for a gasket, someone had also created a silicone ring on the inside of the cover plate to hold the oil seal in !!! So the seal just fell out, I didn't need to prod or screw it or anything. At least it was black in colour which may mean that it was an original and someone couldn't get a replacement at the time.....but for how long I do not know and the seller didn't give me the impression that it would have been something he would have done.

Anyway, thats fixed, next, clean up the rear brakes having there being an advisory on handbrake imbalance, and emissions!!

Thanks again for everyone's help and advice, most invaluable

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.