Refurbishing Alloys - Page 2 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 19:58 Thread Starter

Car: Trophy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dent View Post
Depends what paint you have used.If the paint is too soft when you try to flat them off theres a chance of lifting the paint.Once the paint has gone off they will flat without problem.I wouldnt rush to deal with them if they arnt too noticable.They can be dealt with at any time in the future if they bug you.The longer they are left the harder the paint and will take slightly more work to buff back but longer is safer.

Thanks. I've gone for a second coat for now and I'll see what they're like in the daylight.

I suspect I'll let it go as you really have to be looking for it to spot it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 10:15 Thread Starter

All looks good this morning so I'm going to go with it as is.

I'm not happy with the condition of the centre caps so I've just ordered up a new set......

MGF Trophy 160 Alloy Wheel Centre Caps - MG Mania Ltd
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 11:03 Thread Starter

The first wheel is back on but as I'm still waiting for new centre caps to arrive it's not quite finished yet.

In the meantime I've taken off one of the front wheels and will start on that. I'd like to clean up the red brake calipers, will soap and water be enough to do that or should I use something else? I suspect it's never been cleaned!

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 11:50
Stuck in the 80's...

Car: Flame Red '95 MGF, 17 Mini Cooper S, 13 VX Astra, 15 VX Corsa & 59 Fiesta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey07 View Post
In the meantime I've taken off one of the front wheels and will start on that. I'd like to clean up the red brake calipers, will soap and water be enough to do that or should I use something else? I suspect it's never been cleaned!
Get yourself some spray brake cleaner and give the calipers a good squirt of that. This will remove the most stubborn dust and crud. If you want to follow up with soapy water afterwards this will help wash away the gunk.

Good luck.
DocMark likes this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For .org forum only search results in Google, add "site:mg-rover.org" after your search criteria

Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself.
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 18:22 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMc View Post
Get yourself some spray brake cleaner and give the calipers a good squirt of that. This will remove the most stubborn dust and crud. If you want to follow up with soapy water afterwards this will help wash away the gunk.

Good luck.
Will do, thanks.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 22:39

Car: MG TF
Speaking about the budges, is there anything out there that won't just melt after the second car wash?
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 13-01-2017, 13:19

Car: FunBuggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incony View Post
i am going to point out.. that the external wheel condition, is probably less important than whats going on - on the things you cant see.. and that excludes all the finishing and remaking of the wheel external parts.. and focuses on what keeps the tyre inflated and what might change that, regardless of how many hours and finishes one applies to the bits one can see to make the wheel really not what it might be... it just looks good..

the inside of the ally wheel rim, and how the tyre seals to that.. the valve and its condition , is far more important than the shiny shiny paint that gets stone chips..

not least because structural defects in the wheel, caused by shock loading, like potholes for example. deform and degrade the structure of the alloy.. in the parts one cant see..

a deflation failure might kill you, and others ... and will be caused by a fault in the ally, or the valve or the tyre.. nothing at all to do with how shiny the wheel looks..

**** looking wheels could well be safer to use than shiny shiny ones... its down to the application of knowledge... so learn some. i think.
And I thought I was a half empty glass type of guy, I'm a ray of sunshine compared with you.
roobs likes this.
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 14-01-2017, 09:59 Thread Starter

Wheel No.2 is nearly done. I gave it its last spray of paint this morning and it'll get lacquer tomorrow before going back on.

In the meantime I've replaced the centre caps with new ones from mgmanialtd. I originally ordered black and silver badges from their ebay shop but when I got them and checked their website I noticed that they also have black and yellow ones. They were good enough to let me exchange them and I think they go well with the car.

You can see from the first pic why I gave up on the previous caps!

roobs, IanMc and Mikeadman like this.
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 14-01-2017, 13:34 Thread Starter

I'm having trouble getting the first cap on. I've measured it and it's the right size but it aint going in.

Is there a particular way to do it or is it just a case of lining it up and giving it a good shove?

The wheel is on the car but I'll take it off again if need be.
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 14-01-2017, 13:41

Car: 1971Triumph TR6, 2006Jaguar X Type 2.5 AWD, 2008 Volvo C70
Quote:
I'm having trouble getting the first cap on. I've measured it and it's the right size but it aint going in.

Is there a particular way to do it or is it just a case of lining it up and giving it a good shove?

The wheel is on the car but I'll take it off again if need be.
Are the caps identical to the old ones?

When I replaced mine I had to dremel some plastic off to get them to fit.

Cheers

Mike.
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 14-01-2017, 14:11 Thread Starter

There is a difference in the size of the clip right enough. I'll get filing!

Cheers.

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 14-01-2017, 16:12 Thread Starter

Got it in but it took a fair bit of filing. It needed taken down all the way round.

3 more to file now...........
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 15-01-2017, 13:50 Thread Starter

Second wheel done. The picture doesn't do the badge justice, it's more yellow than that.

post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 15-01-2017, 17:00

Quote:
Second wheel done. The picture doesn't do the badge justice, it's more yellow than that.

Looking good.

Cheers

Mike
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 15-01-2017, 17:10

Car: FunBuggy
Looking good, I'll have those & I'll send you mine up
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 15-01-2017, 17:46
Supporter

Car: MG TF 160
Quote:
The first wheel is back on but as I'm still waiting for new centre caps to arrive it's not quite finished yet.

When I did my calipers, I removed them and split them (AP 4 pot's) then used a rotary wire brush to get them back to shiny bare alloy. I replaced the two bolts that bolt the caliper halves together and also polished up the bleed nipples and connecting pipe between the two halves. Finally I scraped the paint away from the MG logo. They came up a treat. I did the rear calipers the same way.

My only concern when painting the wheels with rattle cans is that the paint is a lot easier to chip than the powder coat that the professionals use and it wouldn't surprise me if when changing the tyre you may get the rims chipping.
Anyway, looking good!

Sundance
Mikey07 likes this.
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 15-01-2017, 18:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundanceuk View Post
When I did my calipers, I removed them and split them (AP 4 pot's) then used a rotary wire brush to get them back to shiny bare alloy. I replaced the two bolts that bolt the caliper halves together and also polished up the bleed nipples and connecting pipe between the two halves. Finally I scraped the paint away from the MG logo. They came up a treat. I did the rear calipers the same way.

My only concern when painting the wheels with rattle cans is that the paint is a lot easier to chip than the powder coat that the professionals use and it wouldn't surprise me if when changing the tyre you may get the rims chipping.
Anyway, looking good!

Sundance
Wow they look cracking what paint did you use?

Cheers

Mike
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 15-01-2017, 21:30

Car: MGF + ZR
the wheel badge is wrong as its not round
looks like they are hex shape for the 16" tf wheels

looks like you have a f trophy wheel
badge should be like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-55-mm-f...oAAMXQVD1SKzFf

obviously in yellow and black not silver and black
there is a chap on here who does the badges
you can get front / back + steering wheel + wheels too in any colour of your choice

his user name is: dazzer75

these seem cheap
20 a re-furb or 30 with tyre if your in bham
https://www.citypowdercoaters.co.uk/price-list

Last edited by super_cds; 15-01-2017 at 21:52.
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 15-01-2017, 21:53
Supporter

Car: MG TF 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeadman View Post
Wow they look cracking what paint did you use?

Cheers

Mike
I used Beckers in a rattle can. Its very hardwearing and stands up to heat well. Just have to make sure you clean any brake fluid off after bleeding the brakes. I fitted new wear plates and replaced the big bolts with stainless steel ones. Also put new guide pins in...they were really nasty to get out.

Sundance
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 17-01-2017, 17:49 Thread Starter

The brake caliper on the drivers side was passable after being cleaned up but the one on the passenger side is a mess so I've decided that I'll just paint them both, although I won't be taking them off so will need to stock up on copies of the Metro to cover everything else up

Out of interest, can I also paint the rear calipers if it takes my fancy?