I am too tight to pay for a new master cylinder, so today I had a go at fitting new seals instead.
I bought AP Lockheed repair kit LK 11231 off ebay for about £8 including delivery.
First, I removed the clevis pin from the top of the clutch pedal. There are no photos of this stage because it's done mostly by feel.
Next, remove the plastic cover from under the bonnet. I had to give the plastic nuts a little help to come off:
With that out of the way, it is easy to see the clutch master cylinder:
Remove the pipe from the top, taking care to catch any drips:
Remove the 2 bolts and lift the cylinder out of the bulkhead:
Peel back the rubber boot and remove the circlip. The cylinder spills its guts:
The cylinder in bits:
Old seals removed:
New seals fitted using some brake fluid to lubricate:
Putting things back together with some red rubber grease. The cylinder body was cleaned using alcohol wipes and the reservoir had some brake fluid poured in and then I gave it a good shake before emptying it out:
The circlip is back in. Just need to push the rubber boot back on and fit it to the car:
Put it back in, fill the reservoir and then bleed using the bleed point on the slave cylinder. Total time about 4 hours.
My circlip pliers were too large to fit the holes in the circlip. I made do with a pair of needle-nose pliers.
The cylinder insides were different to the diagram in my repair kit. Instead of easily coming apart, it was all one unit so I had to stretch the seals over the length of the shaft to get them on. Much swearing was required, but they went on.
I've disturbed the brake light switch while messing around in the footwell. I'll have to reset that tomorrow.
Link to album of all images