MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Rival to Russel?????

4K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  JAT 
#1 ·
found this guy on facebook believe it or not.

sounds very similar to Russell, prices very same same, background very similar.

looks quite high tech, with the towing system etc and based in the south :) so maybe can take the pressure off Russell in this area, dunno!!

has anyone used him??

I'm not recommending because I havent used but it is another option at very reasonable cost.

any comments??

http://www.mjsautoandmarine.co.uk/pricelist.htm

#15 ·
hi everyone, bit of a thread revival here but here goes;

my TF is showing signs of the dreaded hgf :( just before xmas, just what you need eh?

anyway I remembered posting this some time ago and thought it would be a good time to try this guy out (no smut please steve ;) ) so gave him a call and he will be coming down to me on 1st december.

quote is to replace the gasket with mls type and change the water pump at the same time cost total £450 that includes travel.

I thought that was not bad as it is £150 to do the pump normally :) reckons he can do it in about 3 hours :)

any way I was reluctant to reccomend because I hadnt used him so will use this to gauge his service and will feed back to the forum accordingly.

#19 ·
Bugger for you George, but some good for .org members could come out of it, If his work is good and he is reliable, and you reccomend him.

I having nothing whatsoever against Russell, and will continue to reccomend him, but not everyone can afford to have their car off the road waiting until he is free

I reckon we ought to have a list of regional travelling mechanics and garagea, that are reccomended by members for their work, prices and reliability. something like the hydragas registe.r.

#24 ·
thanks bud, actually this will be its 3rd change, previous owner had it done, had it done under warranty when I bought it but suspect the standard gasket was used.

this guy will fit the mls type so fingers crossed this will be the last :)

just out of curiosity has anyone had hgf with the mls type going? I suspect they are not the cure all as some claim them to be but just wondered.

#31 ·
yeah you could call it hibernating, I use a football forum a lot, also moderator on there it is a fairly new site so trying to get it moving, keeps me busy, I have a quick look on here tho :)

Hi ya George hows it going, I bought mine with a suspect head gasket, got Russell to do it for me and that was an MLS on there (which the previous owner had proof was replaced 2 years earlier), he could`nt find any reason for it going again so fingers crossed.

Paul
thanks for the feed back paul, this is just less than 2 years I hope it isnt going to be a 2 yearly thing :(

#32 ·
OK, hi folks,

the 1st of december came round pretty quick :)

MJS (Mike) rang this morning and left a message to ring him (I'm thinking he will cancell due to the snow) but no, just wanted to make sure it was possible to get there and I still wanted him to come.

he got here bang on time and took the head off, showed me the gasket which was in fact an mls type, altho he did say this one was poor quality and was even rusty :( no obvious reasons for it to fail other than it was corroding, he reckons I was just unlucky :(

less than 3 hours and I was writing a cheque for £450. (new gaskets & water pump)

my opinion?

he was well presented, had good knowledge and experience, polite, tidy and efficient, explained pricing policy and left the engine and car in a clean condition.

I didnt have my service book with me but he said post it on to him and he will stamp to say fluids changed and also note the type of head gasket fitted. (which I will do)

so unless I am standing by the roadside with steam coming from the back of my TF I am now in a position to recommend him :) :)

#39 ·
Hi mikey, hope you are well, did you have a hgf then?

I only waited a few days, its always good to have more than one option tho :)

it is great to watch these guys at work, both russell & mike are affable blokes who do more than just the basics and will talk freely as they work answering all your queries as you fire them off ;)

I am happy to recommend them both :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.