MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Someone Please Help

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Man in the Car 
#1 ·
Right.
Can someone please give me some pointers as i brought my 2003 TF to enjoy and have fun and all its been is problems and i cant be bothered with it much Longer

I brought it last year and not long after having it the head gasket went and liners dropped. It has been fully repaired, New head gasket, Liners have been shimmed and runs and drives lovely. I have installed new radiator from LE 500 and stainless steal pipes.

However my problem arises when the car idles in traffic or is stationary. Basically it doesn't over heat but the coolant rises and rises so much that it comes up to the top and stays there whilst the fan is on. As soon as the fan cuts out there is suddenly a big gurgle and the water level suddenly drops back to where it should be. let it idle again water starts rising fan cuts in fan cuts out an water level drops again. it does this over and over again. I appreciate coolant does rise but its basically bursting out the header tank. I have been told a new PRT, a blockage, an airlock.......

Please any one with any knowledge or any help would be greatly appreciated as really want to be out enjoying it rather than it sitting in the garage

Thanks in advance

Lee

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Lee,

Sorry to hear of your problems.

There are two quick, cheap, easy and common things that are good to try first:

1) Change the coolant reservoir cap for a new one - genuine/OEM if possible.

2) Bleed the system thoroughly (several times may be required to get rid of all of the air), from all THREE bleed points, making sure that coolant flows freely from all of them.

Good luck - I hope that you will soon be able to enjoy your car again.

Reactions: PatM
#5 ·
maybe its not the car for you.. leethomp1978, i dont speak to discourage you, but maybe you need to think about what you want... and you only have one life... one time... if its not going to be spent problem solving... this car isnt for you... choose another.. its your life, not the cars.

there are ways to check the cap.. they have been posted on this site... ive done it.. and others have. it needs a more critical problem solving to find the cause and solution.. and this car takes determination in all respects...

even though one thinks one has tried everything.. the soloution may still be hidden...

i do not seek to discourage you, the solution may be simple.. but it will require method and accurate logging of what you do at every step..

a note book.. a pen... and every thing right down to the last nut and bolt, connector and fitting you touch.

else..? pay someone else to fix it...

#7 ·
From the behaviour of the coolant, it does appear like a blockage or air lock. However, I wonder if another possibility may be that someone has installed a thermostat in the housing on the rear of the engine when doing a HGF repair, not realising that there should be no thermostat in there when a remote PRT is fitted.

At higher revs, the flow of coolant will perhaps be enough to ensure that both would open and close enough to keep the circulation going, but at idle revs, with slow coolant flow, they will not open at the same time and will work against one another, effectively blocking the coolant flow?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.