MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Speedo cable to gearbox coupling

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Talkingcars 
#1 ·
The speedo and power steering stopped and I traced it to the lower speedo cable on my 1999 MGF. When I replaced it it still didn't work. I could have more than one cable broken but the link to the gearbox looks seems dodgy. It goes into plate on the gearbox. Can I remove this to inspect it or am I opening a can of worm?

#2 ·
If you separate the joint in the cable under the car, you should be able to check the inner cable back to the gearbox by first pulling it out a bit and making sure it's free to turn. Push it back in to engage the gearbox end and make sure it then won't turn. You can do the same at the joint under the bonnet, and if you twiddle the section that goes to the speedometer, you should be able to see a movement of the speedo needle. If everything checks out, you may find it works again. Some years ago, my speedo dropped to zero, and at first the power steering thought I was going slowly, so gave me max assistance (which felt as if I was driving over spilt diesel) then decided there was a problem and turned itself off, so the steering became very heavy. I did all the checks, couldn't find any sort of failure, and after I'd re-connected everything it all worked perfectly, and has done ever since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.