Spun my TF, only had it two months :( - Page 2 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 23-02-2017, 17:15
Supporter

Car: MG Montego Turbo; 620ti x3; MG ZS; MGF and MG ZT 1.8t x2; MG ZT-T x1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incony View Post

I think you will be a better mgf driver because of your experience, and far from giving up and getting a more boring car, use that knowledge
Was about to edit my post to include sonething like this from Incony's comprehensive post.

RWD.

BMW with their Ultimate Driving Machine advertising slogan was avidly consumed by many UK car consumers who consumed Bavarian product in huge numbers. That in my opinion created a false impression with many BMW drivers. BMW is the way to go. They got that right. Here's why.

Years ago, when my sons were hardly old enough to drive, they named a local fast exit out of a large roundabout.. "The BMW Bend". Quite frequently a BMW had obviously lost control and punched a big hole in the hedge alongside the ditch, often tipped over at and odd angle into the ditch. Not just BMWs. One time a once magnificent Porsche was there. The kind which would see little change out of 100,000, also ended up in that ditch badly damaged at both ends. I later saw it recovered on a flat bed truck. It had a very distinctive registration number. A few days previously, that same car demonstrated its superb performance passing me in my Rover turbo with ease at a silly speed... in a 40mph stretch of road near where I live.

Beware the pendulous Porsche...

Apparently ... in a parallel universe MGJohn drives .........A.......

B>>M>>W ....

Arrrrrggghhhhh......... ......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 23-02-2017, 20:10

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
The only car I have ever spun was a BMW 3 series, I was used to driving my bosses which was an auto when taking documents from my depot at one side of Gatwick airport over to the cargo sheds at the other side of the airport.

The exit from our industrial estate was up a slight incline on to a roundabout on a duel carriageway.

This particular day my bosses car wasn't available so I used another 3 series belonging to another manager, as I approached the roundabout I dropped into first gear and as it was clear hit the gas.

Of course being the exit from an industrial estate the road has quite greasy from oil dropped by trucks leaving the estate and it was a damp day.

As the clutch came up the back swung out, I corrected which rapidly became over an over correction. The car slid up on to the low kerb of the central reservation on the exit from the roundabout, ten feet earlier it would have been a higher kerb of the roundabout, ten feet later would have been a crash barrier. As it was there was no damage.

Valuable lesson learned, a manual car will pull away quicker than the same model auto.
I was only 18 at the time, my daily driver was a 1200 Lada and these were modern 2.0i BMWs.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 15:38

Car: MG TF
You need quite a bit of throttle for the rear to spin out - even in the wet. I found my E87 1 Series BMW's more tail happy than the TF.

My condolences on the car though. Hope it's repairable.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 07:40
Think before you type!

Car: Flame Red '95 MGF, 64 Suzuki Swift SZ-L, 13 VX Astra, 07 C1 & 59 Fiesta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic View Post
You need quite a bit of throttle for the rear to spin out - even in the wet.(
I beg to differ.
Talkingcars likes this.

For .org forum only search results in Google, add "site:mg-rover.org" after your search criteria

Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 08:32
Woof Woof

Car: TF160 Disco 3.9 XR4i 4trak Yamaha XV535
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMc View Post
I beg to differ.
Well Ive not managed it yet maybe I'm not trying hard enough

That said most of my driving has been in tail happy rear wheel drive cars.
Steve_G and Mikeadman like this.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 09:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic View Post
You need quite a bit of throttle for the rear to spin out - even in the wet. I found my E87 1 Series BMW's more tail happy than the TF.
Maybe that's because of the different climates we occupy.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 09:32
CJJ

Car: MGTF 160, TF LE500, Nissan Leaf, KTM 990, Kangoo Van, Freelander 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1981 View Post
Please check what model are the tyres, there is many variations of the F1s. The (used) TFs came with GSD2s from factory but these are not being made anymore. My TF came with 1 GSD2 on the rear and 1 GSD3 since they had to replace it and they couldn't find a new GSD2 I suppose. It took me a while to notice.
I was going to post this.

You say you had a new F1 fitted, but they don't make the GSD2s any more. If they have stuck a GSD3 on then that could be your problem as even MG warned against mixing GSD2s and GSD3s because it can make the car unstable.

Have a quick check on the tyres and let us know if they fitted a GSD3.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 18:59 Thread Starter

Car: Sunstorm 135
Sorry for not responding,

I have not been online for a few days.

The new tyre was fitted to the front and now it has 2 new Toyo Proxys on the rear. I will check the mix of front tyres though, because when driving it last night, it seemed to felt very 'flighty' at the front, like it felt light, almost like in some cases it was steering itself (I've read about the EPAS sensor and not sure its this, as it doesn't seem to feel any different left to right when turning).

I got the car back Thursday.

Friday I seemed to have some kind of battery problem. I was fitting new LED bulbs all round (except indicators) and after testing them the car would not start. Battery voltage 11.8V not running.

Borrowed a battery and leads from the Father in Law, jumped it and tested voltage running, Alternator output between 13.8 and 14v so assume the Alternator is ok. Left it running an hour and its been fine ever since.

Today I managed to get my hardtop storage sorted, currently hanging from the roof of the garage and got the new soft top up, although I'm a little disappointed with how it fits at the moment. It was a sod to get up (its so tight where its new) and once up the passenger side has a lot of gaps around the glass, I'll get some pictures tomorrow and start a new thread asking for some advice.

Strangely it seems ok on the drivers side.

Don't seem to be having a lot of luck with this car!
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 19:17

Car: MG TF
The joys of buying a used, not very well looked after, car. Cheap sometimes is a false economy. If your alternator is OK then change the battery. I had to change both in mine and I found out the hard way. Garage replaced the battery with a Lion branded one during MOT when I told them the battery goes flat quickly. A couple of days later, car cut off while I was driving. Complete shut down. Fortunately I was outside home so I rolled it next to the pavement. I didn't bother much with the details. New alternator and a Varta battery in. No issues since then. During the first MOT other issues were found. Front caliper pistons seized. Shock absorber bleeding. All replaced. The bill was not a pretty sight. And that was on a 3 year old TF 135 (2010). I don't want to know what issues the 800 quid cars sometimes people buy, have.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 20:28 Thread Starter

Mine has a lion battery too and I think it's the wing one for the car (063, think I've read on here that cars fitted with Pektron system should have 075).

Anyway I'll get one and fit it and hopefully that should be that.

I've noticed a hell of a lot of rust around the battery tray and just generally under the bonnet.

I'm guessing that's normal and will attack it with a grinder and wire brush and see what's what in a couple of months when the weather gets better.
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 20:37

I wouldn't worry too much about the battery Mike if it's ok now, it was probably low if the car has been sat around for a while.
IIRC you'll need the larger battery if you have ABS or EPAS and there is no harm having larger anyway.

Have you told us what damage there was on the car?
post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 20:41 Thread Starter

It had a new hub and bearing, multiple suspension parts (got a list somewhere, I'll type it up tomorrow), obviously a new wheel and two tyres and 4 wheel alignment.

I'm going to try and enjoy the bloody thing now!
Talkingcars likes this.