MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Stainless Steel Underpipes

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Baz599 
#1 ·
So what is the point of fitting these? I thought it was because they would out live the standard steel pipes. Mmm, well i had the x-part version fitted to my son's TF and after 4 years thet are leaking and no good. X-part don't want to know as they insist their guarantee is for one year only!
Blimey, the OE steel pipes were still going strong at 11 years old and were only replaced as a precaution.
X-part ripping us off now eh? Stick to standard pipes, they last twice as long!

#7 ·
That's the problem sometimes non oem pipes are welded with mild steel rods rather than stainless....my 1996 F, that had the original mild steel pipes on it up until 2012, they wasn't leaking when I took them off, but they did look extremely corroded, changed them for a set of genuine SS pipes

#15 ·
Stainless steel is not all it’s cracked up to be. My mate has a yacht and has had a couple of stainless shackles which holds the sails break, he showed me one and what happens is they corrode from the inside and become weak and break. Apparently stainless is a ‘no no’ on boats – I accept it is salt water they are exposed to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.