Style advice - opinions welcome! - MG-Rover.org Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 18-08-2016, 09:32 Thread Starter

Car: Crystal White (Pearl) LE500 #133. Previously; TF160; F
Cool Style advice - opinions welcome!

Due to some water ingress over the winter caused by slightly misaligned windows, I'm planning on getting some new seats and carpets in the near future. Currently I have standard black seats with a dark grey carpet, dark grey dash door panels (and pods) with piano black finishing. It's a white LE500.

In the sunshine I find the black seats get unbearably hot after just a few minutes, so was thinking of maybe switching to the light grey colour (I'm eyeing the MGF Centre leather speedster seats).

So do I go for black, dark grey or light grey for the carpets?

I was thinking grey gators on the gear and handbrake, with grey pods in the doors (keeping the piano black). Maybe a grey centre box lid? I don't want to go too far, it's a big expense so I'd appreciate the input of fellow MGers - this is the fist time I've really had the opportunity to personalise the interior quite so much and I see some amazing colour schemes in member pics, so go wild with the suggestions!

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 18-08-2016, 11:04
Stuck in the 80's...

Car: Flame Red '95 MGF, 17 Mini Cooper S, 13 VX Astra, 15 VX Corsa & 59 Fiesta.
Stick a towel on the seat and keep your money in your pocket?

Mr Tight of Essex
Bromsgrove man likes this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For .org forum only search results in Google, add "site:mg-rover.org" after your search criteria

Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 18-08-2016, 14:52

Car: MGTF115 & Rover25 1.4
Leather seats get unbearably hot in the sun.
Talkingcars likes this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 18-08-2016, 15:35

Car: MGF VVC 75th Anniversary LE
I've always thought the interior of the LEs was one of the nicest looking oem set ups but do whatever takes your fancy I say. I do like the look of the speedster seats.

Should be happy just to be getting enough sunshine to warm up the seats really
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 18-08-2016, 16:29
Supporter

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
Having grey seats in an all-black interior will exaggerate the colour of the seats. Putting in grey carpets, arm rest etc. will lessen their impact so it depends if you want them to make a visual statement or not.

To second david.c's comment - leather can get painfully hot in warm weather so stick with fabric for max comfort.
roobs likes this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 18-08-2016, 18:42

Car: 99T MGF VVC - 03 Freelander
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.c View Post
Leather seats get unbearably hot in the sun.
In the sun ? Don't come across that too often !

Barney
dert likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 18-08-2016, 19:13

Car: MG TF
drive with the roof up
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 18-08-2016, 21:50 Thread Starter

Sound advice, thanks. Maybe I'll get a more positive response from one of the Facebook groups. Cheers
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 18-08-2016, 22:18

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
I find alcantara better than cloth, leather or even vinyl.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 18-08-2016, 22:30

Car: Rover 620ti, 2x 1996 MGF, 4x MG TF, Mazda Bongo, 2x 1999 MGF, 1972 Ford Cortina Mk3 Citroen Picasso
In 10-15 years time, the purists will gasp in disgust on the changes you may make. Mk1 mgf 75 anniversaries are already going for silly monies in original condition (2000 - 2500) and there were only 2000 of them made, the LE500 is what is states, 500 made, if you do changes, make sure you keep the bits you remove to put it back to original or offer to potential new before selling on
IanMc likes this.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 19-08-2016, 00:48
Stuck in the 80's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roobs View Post
Sound advice, thanks. Maybe I'll get a more positive response from one of the Facebook groups. Cheers
Err, wow - really? Oh dear.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For .org forum only search results in Google, add "site:mg-rover.org" after your search criteria

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 19-08-2016, 09:38

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMc View Post
Err, wow - really? Oh dear.
roobs - do you mean "positive response" or "approval" to do what you want to do to your car?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 19-08-2016, 13:06 Thread Starter

sorry chaps - when I posted the Facebook comment there were no opinions, just a bunch of snarky jokes.

* throw a towel on the seat
* leather seats get hot
* should be happy it's sunny
* what is the sun?
* put the roof up

Thanks to talkingcars, lerich and dert for some actual thoughts though.

I've been a member here for 9 years, so I remember when it wasn't this way. I am happy to hear all opinions, good and bad, but I can't really be bothered with the sarcasm. The Facebook groups are much more welcoming than this place these days.
@dert - I hadn't considered that purists would be that way in the future. Not only is mine an LE, but a rare chrystal white colour, so maybe I should think a bit more? I didn't realise that the limited editions ever had a higher value down line and have heard from other members that the cars don't hold their value. Mind you, I don't plan to sell her anyway.
@Talkingcars - I haven't seen the alcantara seats, maybe I'll take a look. And I am more than happy to have negative and disapproving responses as long as they are on topic
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 19-08-2016, 15:41
Stuck in the 80's...

Quote:
sorry chaps - when I posted the Facebook comment there were no opinions, just a bunch of snarky jokes.
For the record, when I posted my towel comment I wasnt joking - I was being serious.

Clean the seats and carpet that may be water marked, then if the seats get hot in the sun put a towel over them until they cool. Then you could save your money for a rainy day.

At the end of the day though: your car, your money.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 19-08-2016, 15:53
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape' & Rover 600
Actualy any leather seat will become hot in the sun, nevertheless of the colour. I have light grey and light beige/cream leather seats in my Rovers and they are hot in the summer, and cold in the winter.
I literally have to put something over them in order for them to cool or to get warm.

So from my point of view and experiance IanMc advice is sound and I also consider it worth opinion.

Also as I mentiond colours of my seats are not black, but with light colour, meaning all leather seats will become hot, nevertheless of the colour. So this is also sound opinion, from my point of view.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 19-08-2016, 16:01 Thread Starter

great advice, cheers. i hadn't thought the lighter colour would get as hot, but maybe I should definitely consider alcantara then.

@IanMc I realise your comment was both genuine and lighthearted, however to clarify, whilst wanting to also address the issue of the seats being hot in the sunshine I am considering buying new 800 seats for their aesthetics first and foremost, so I was after opinions relating to the colours/stylings etc. I do appreciate you taking the time to comment.
IanMc likes this.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 19-08-2016, 23:03

Hmm?

I wouldn't put grey in if it was me. Black looks amazing IMO. I just don't like the grey of the tf interiors.

Or how about fully custom interior? Leather dash, seats etc, now they look seriously amazing!
roobs likes this.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 20-08-2016, 10:33 Thread Starter

cheers alex, salient point. i doubt i could afford to go the full bespoke interior though. tell me, if you would stick with black seats would you go for black carpet too? (it's currently dark grey). i agree, i'm not super enthused about the dark grey which is behind my thinking.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 20-08-2016, 23:01

Quote:
cheers alex, salient point. i doubt i could afford to go the full bespoke interior though. tell me, if you would stick with black seats would you go for black carpet too? (it's currently dark grey). i agree, i'm not super enthused about the dark grey which is behind my thinking.
Yeah I don't mind grey in the right places but the shades of grey MG used I just do not like.

The carpets I would definitely go black with. Maybe stretch to custom seat covers with coloured piping to suit matts?

Personally the grey is a mid 80's style and should be left there.

Why don't you take a look at modern interiors of cars and replicate the colours that you liked the most.
roobs likes this.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 21-08-2016, 15:20

Car: MGF VVC 75th Anniversary LE
Quote:
As I type this sat here to the sound of rain hitting the window I still maintain that you should be happy it's sunny
roobs and IanMc like this.