TF Air Vent Scoops and airbox mod - How to - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 10:33 Thread Starter
CJJ

Car: MGTF 160, TF LE500, Nissan Leaf, KTM 990, Kangoo Van, Freelander 2.
TF Air Vent Scoops and airbox mod - How to

I have now tested the air scoop on the passenger side with the air feeds to the airbox redirected to the scoops.

I have to say that it DOES seem to make a difference. There seems more acceleration when on the move above 4000rpm. Ironically we will never know because it cannot be tested on a rolling road due to the car being stationary. Unless someone knows of a rolling road in a wind tunnel.

While I'm in the "How to" mood, this is how I made and fitted the air scoops and modified the airbox feeds.

The first thing I did was to make a card template that was roughly the shape I wanted and then trial fitted it against the vent. Several templates later and I had the rough shape I wanted. I then cut the shape out of a sheet of aluminium mesh that I bought from B&Q.

I chose the aluminium mesh so that I could bend and mold it to shape before applying the glass fibre.

I then trial fitted it on the car and made any adjustments that I needed to.

This is the point I realised that silver would be a nice colour for it as I was originally going to colour match it with the car.

Next I used the template to cut some oversize glass fibre shapes. You need to cut them slightly bigger than the aluminium so that they overlap and seal the edges.

Apply the fibreglass matting to the aluminium using the resin and hardener supplied.

Build up several layers on both sides to add strength.

Trim the edges to shape and trial fit again to ensure that they are still the shape you want.

Sand down any large lumps or irregularities.

Warning. When using or sanding fibreglass use protective equipment. The fibres really cause itching if exposed to skin and if you inhale fibreglass it can give you lung problems.

I then used spray putty to build up layers and sanded down with wet & dry to fill any irregularities.

This takes time and several attempts to get a nice smooth uniform surface. Allow coats to dry fully before sanding.

It is now ready to prime and paint the colour of your choice. I ended up using silver alloy wheel paint and laquer. Again, you should build up the coats and sand back if there are any lumps or craters.

Next I colour coded the new air vents that I got from e-bay, which were originally black.

The scoops were then attached to the vents using 2 small screws at the top and bottom leading edges. I used this method for strength as I thought that at speed the wind would try to pull the scoop away from the vent.

The rear or the scoop rested nicely against the bottom ridge of the vent, where the mesh is bonded to the underside. I used araldite to bond the scoop to the vent at this point.

I then rebonded the black mesh to the back of the vent and fitted the scoop to the car.

The airbox was removed and some new ducting used to redirect the air intake back under the airbox bracket to the vent. And no, that isn't off my tumble dryer. I bought it from a car tuning place at 5 a metre.

I also redirected the front air ducting from under the wheel arch to the air vent.

This means that both air intake tubes now take air from the scoop.

You cannot see them now with the scoop in place and I used a bit of black spray paint to tone them down.

I then took the car for a blast around some country lanes and dual carriageway and I have to say the percieved difference is more than I expected. It feels more lively and eager to rev while on the move. This may all be in my imagination, but there does seem to be an improvement.

You could also use this method to fabricate other one off parts. Go on, have a play.

Last edited by CJJ; 08-09-2007 at 11:14.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 10:47

Car: BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
Send a message via MSN to Baracus
Another good write up, well done
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 10:49

Car: MG TF 160 in Trophy Yellow
there's no stopping you CJJ .

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 10:54

Car: MGF MK2 1.8i,BMW 330i
You sexy muth..... Nice one.

I do like playing with fibreglass. My kitchen looks like those pictures msot of the time.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 10:55
Administrator

Car: MG TF 135 Platinum Silver, Skoda Roomster
Garages
We are not worthy
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 11:11 Thread Starter
CJJ

Aw, shucks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broon View Post
You sexy muth..... Nice one.

I do like playing with fibreglass. My kitchen looks like those pictures msot of the time.

I thought you were going to say you built your kitchen out of fibreglass. Now that would be something.

I forgot to say that you can alter the shape of your project, even when set, if you gently heat it up and carefully bend it (Just a small amount). But this may be helped by the aluminium as well.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 15:00

Car: MGF
Great one CJJ
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 11:58 Thread Starter
CJJ

Deano, are you still up for a passenger side one of these? It might take me a while, but if you still want one I will make a start.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 13:09

Car: MG TF 160g (Special Edition of 1) and Lexus RX300
Send a message via MSN to Catweazle Send a message via Skype™ to Catweazle
The Rolling Road we went to in Reading has a bloody great fan, but I am not sure that it is linked to the wheel speed, so probably no good.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 12:49

Car: MG TF
hi there CCJ, just bought my first mg tf last week, have already re directed the airflow into the left air intake...however i need one of these air scoops making up, as i haven't got a clue and no one seems to do them anywhere??? it seems a little strange to me that you can buy one for mg f but not the tf....can you help? cheers james
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 15:25 Thread Starter
CJJ

Hi James. Welcome to the forum.
Believe it or not my scoops have been away with someone off here who said they could manufacture them. 8 months later and I am still waiting. He keeps assuring me that he is persuing options.
I'll let you know if there are any produced.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 22-01-2014, 19:10

Car: 2004 MGTF 160 Coupe
Me too please

Absolutely brilliant job Clive.
Ill be down for one once they become available as well please.
Now to start saving for your bonnet mod which is just another level of brilliant. (Brillianter?)
Good on you.
Ken
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 22-01-2014, 19:16 Thread Starter
CJJ

Never saw them again mate.

I have fitted some of the XR3TF ones since then.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 22-01-2014, 19:51

Car: MGF
What a great looking motor!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 22-01-2014, 19:54 Thread Starter
CJJ

Thanks mate.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 22-01-2014, 21:41

Car: Modified death trap
I made up a fibre glass fitting to allow the air hose connect directly to the air intake vent without the end of the hose being visible in the vent..

My intake hose is 100mm and ducted directly to the ITB air box
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 22-01-2014, 22:44

Car: Rover 623 GSI
Ahhh yes the bonnet scoops ................................ they do look good and I hear they work well too.

However they look to be a lot of work.

Funny thing is that I will have a spare bonnet seeing as how have just secured one in the correct colour to replace the damaged on fitted now ............................................ Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.