MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Top Mods to a 2002 MGTF 135

14K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Stargatemunky 
#1 ·
Recently purchased a 2002 MGTF 135 for £375 and have now put it back on the road

(admittedly a fair amount of work and parts went into it)

All going well but I was thinking what else should I do to it ?

This post has been deleted
#3 ·
How deep are your pockets after putting it back on the road?

#4 ·
Looks like a thread merge is required...

#7 ·
Drive it,polish it,drive it then drive it some more.:wink:

But seriously,i would add an aftermarket stainless steel exhaust. They transform the sound into what a sportscar should sound like. I have a Scorpion,and I love it. Just enough noise to be noticeable but not hooligan loud. There are lots out there,just do some research on threads on here and enjoy the sound with the roof down whilst you can. Summer is here :smile:

#10 ·
Give it a good service if not done so already, fresh oil and filters (oil, air and fuel) will help bring the car back to life.

Look for a decent back box system, this can add a bit more of a sporty tone and make it sound like it should ;) stay clear of open cone filters though, especially on the F/TF as hot air will really kill the power.

Like the rest of the K series engine range remapping works well on these. While peak figures might not light the world alight the improvements come across the rev range and improved part throttle torque. Idle quality can be improved as well since the 135 cams can be a tad lumpy due to the profile. If you're close to Manchester, Peterborough or Doncaster then SAWS Tuning can assist (Manchester also has dyno facilities to show results), if you're more southern based then Kmaps might be more convenient.

#11 ·
If it's on standard 'early' (02-05) TF suspension then fitting VHS Bilstein dampers is a really good mod if pricey!
It makes the TF more supple and improves the handing greatly. Highly recommended by many on here and on other forums.

VHS are ex-MGRover chassis engineers who know what they designed/wanted for the car and what an appalling job the accountants made of the TF!
They occasionally come up on ebay at reasonable prices.
It makes the car what it should have been and you won't regret it.

#13 ·
Having bought a 2002 TF135 in July 2015 I have replaced/upgraded a few things.

Windbreak - definitely a good move.
Headlights - bulbs replaced with Osram Nightbreakers and then a professional adjustment. This saw a major improvement.
Rear Lamp covers - these were on special from the MGOC, paid for themselves the first time I banged an overnight bag into one. Reckon that would have damage the lamp connectors otherwise.
Interior lamps and park lights replaced with LED bulbs, cheap and much brighter.
Replacement Pipercross airfilter element. Noting that at 75 Quid including shipping this is less than twice the cost of a standard replacement unit here in Australia, so possibly more economical than in the UK. Having said that it has made a noticeable difference to acceleration and fuel economy.
Replaced the sound insulation over the engine cover with foam sound deadening material. This weighs next to nothing as opposed to the original which weighed about 14kg. Is also 10db quieter.
Replaced the heater knobs with aluminium ones. The originals had deteriorated and were tacky (ahem!) and one had a split along the shaft so was about to fail.
Replaced the stereo as the cd player was dead. For some reason the Western Australian dealership had Blaupunkt units fitted to the cars when they imported them. A replacement current Blaupunkt unit was cheap and easy to fit.
Also replace the door and t-bar speakers with Kenwood units.

My plans are to fit a ride comfort kit and poly bushes when money allows, along with a heated glass rear window when the plastic one needs replacing. Also a seat lowering kit for the driver's seat, just to give a bit more room between thighs and wheel.

The first speed on the heater fan has died and I have the electronic replacement - also cheap from MGOC - along with the stiffening bracket for the brake servo. These will go in at the next regular service as my TF (like all those imported into Australia) has air-conditioning and the condenser needs removing to deal with these. If yours doesn't have air-conditioning then these are an very easy job.

About it - so far!

Tally-Ho

Mark

Have also swapped the clock and oil temperature gauge over to make the latter easier to read. Somehow dust had gotten inside the glass so did this whilst cleaning them.

#14 ·
Nice list of mods and upgrades there.

To the OP check the ECV has been unplugged, when I got my Sprint it was still connected, the noise at tickover with a standard box is more pleasing to the ear and I am convinced my engine ticks over more smoothly now the gases have two exits, it also feels smoother at lower revs i.e when pulling away. I really felt this in comparison to the F which does not have an ECV.

Best mod I think is the AP calipers the braking is so much better and more controlled than the standard set-up allowing you to enjoy the performance and cornering abilities of the car to a greater extent.

Decent tyres and pressures transform the fun factor in these cars so maybe consider that too.

#15 ·
My personal view (other views are available) is that the MGF & TF are at their best when totally original. However, I do agree that certain elements can be replaced and improved to the standard they should have been in the first place.

Stainless Steel cooling pipes that run under the length of the car instead of the easily corroded mild steel ones.
Heated Glass rear screen instead of plastic.
TT exhust system, vastly improves the sound of the car without being 'BoyRacerish'.
Aluminum Heater Knobs.
KMAPS Re-mapping.
The Bilstein Struts are expensive, but are on my list based on the reviews by other posters.
As others have said, get to know the car and how it suits YOU before spending too much on things you might later regret.

#16 ·
Things that will probably go and what you should budget for are:

Bushes
Relays
Indicator stalks
Bearings.
Radiator

If you're looking for mods, the first thing you'll need is a windbreaker.

Then you might want to look at actual mods like suspension, but those would essentially be new dampers + spinrgs, and 85th anti-roll bars which can now be purchased new (they were limited to 85th owners only originally).

You also might want to have it checked for rust before you break out the bank bank for the big fancy bling :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.