Track day preparation - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 19:41 Thread Starter

Car: MGF VVC MK2
Track day preparation

My dad will come for a visit on June.

For the occasion I want to book my first track day.

Suggestion for works/checks to have car in shape?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 20:17
Stuck in the 80's...

Car: Flame Red '95 MGF, 17 Mini Cooper S, 13 VX Astra, 15 VX Corsa & 59 Fiesta.
Hire a car that you don't have to drive to work on Monday...

Enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For .org forum only search results in Google, add "site:mg-rover.org" after your search criteria

Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 08:25
Administrator

Car: MG TF 135 Platinum Silver, Skoda Roomster
Garages
If the car hasn't been serviced for some time I would be tempted to do so.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 08:57

Car: Ford Focus Titanium TDi .MGF 1.8i. MGTF 160 "track-day car"
If your "normal" MG is your pride and joy I would buy a car just to do track days in. They are fetching so little money at the moment its unreal. Since I bought mine I have seen at least 2 MGTF 160 that are going for under 800. Once you do a track day you will want to do more,they are seriously addictive.

Yours addicted,Rob.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 09:00 Thread Starter

From suggestions it seems they get broken easily?

I mean, is a "dangerous" environment?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 09:19
Stuck in the 80's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
From suggestions it seems they get broken easily?

I mean, is a "dangerous" environment?
Its a race track, people go to race.

As on the road, sadly you cant legislate for morons who might get carried away.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For .org forum only search results in Google, add "site:mg-rover.org" after your search criteria

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 09:24

Car: TF 160 Sprint LE + MG RV8 + ZR 160
I've attended several and from what I've seen keep to the MGoT days as they are far more gentlemanly and attended by those who care for their cars. Very friendly days out too.
Only once, at Silverstone, when MGoT opened it up to all-comers due to lack of MG numbers, were there more competitive racers on track with real race prepared cars. They used it as a cheap race car shakedown day and seemed to disobey most of the track day safety rules! Frankly they got in the way of all the others enjoying the track experience.

The open public track days appear to be populated by those with more money than sense and loads of hooligans trying to drive their Japanese metal like Clarkson!

In terms of car preparation just make sure it is all serviced, brakes in good condition and pump the tyres up a little more than usual and your car will be fine.

I found that in the wet the F/TF was very nimble compared to other more powerful MGs.

Oh and if you suffer a mechanical (not accident damage) breakdown I think I'm right in saying only the AA will recover a road registered standard car, others won't go near a race track!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 09:51 Thread Starter

This shed new light and thoutghs on the idea.

Ideally I was thinking to a more "professional" environment but, realistically, there s no reason why.

I wanted to use my car, for sentimental reason and for a testing ground, but I would not jeopardize my pride and joy.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 10:13

Car: Ford Focus Titanium TDi .MGF 1.8i. MGTF 160 "track-day car"
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMc View Post
Its a race track, people go to race.

As on the road, sadly you cant legislate for morons who might get carried away.

I think you are mistaken Ian Mc, you are not allowed to RACE on a track day. You are only allowed to overtake on the straights,and only on a predesignated side. It is upto you to drive at whatever speed you are comfortable with. Obviously if you drive at 40mph and don't move out of the way for faster cars then you will wind up other drivers and also be black-flagged by the track-day organisers and told off or excluded. Obviously i'm talking hyperthetically,as some people are going to flout the rules,but I have done 1 track-day and never felt intimidated or scared by other peoples driving or attitude. I would advise you to pop along to the venue you are looking at attending next time the have a track-day organised and see how things work. Talk to some of the drivers and officials if they aren't too busy,and you should get a warm welcome and some good words of advise.
I would still advocate getting a car to do track days in,but maybe have a bash in your normal car for a start and see if you get hooked.
As for saying "do they break easily",then you are stressing everything on the car way more than is possible on public roads. Brakes are the main cause of issues from what I have seen by popping along to my local track. They can be cooked in 3 to 4 laps of hard driving. I cant be driving mine anything like hard enough as mine never got anything like hot,but they are the bigger AP brakes. To try and do anything like reasonable lap times you will also be pushing the engine into the red-line,and your fuel consumption will be scarily bad. I wasn't really pushing hard on my 1 day,but had to fill up again at lunch break! ( And that was only after 4 or 5 15 minute runs.!)
Where are you looking at attending? I would go to somewhere with plenty of run off. I go to Blyton Park,as its only 5 miles from me,but also because there is only 1 chicane with any Armco barriers close by. All the rest of the track has lots of run off to allow for mistakes. My goal is to go to Cadwell Park. No run off and seriously tricky to learn. I would think Bedford autodrome is closest one to you. From what I have seen its an airfield circuit with lots of run off. Pop along on the 18th of Feb and have a look.
Hope this helps. Rob.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 12:17
Stuck in the 80's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG Norm View Post
Obviously i'm talking hyperthetically,as some people are going to flout the rules
Exactly my point Sir.

The OP is a novice and is looking for advice.

Eyes wide open and all that.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 12:43
Supporter

Car: MG TF 160 SPRINT
Garages
If you are going to do a trackday in your MG try and do it with MGOT - MGs on Track - Track days for MG enthusiasts!. It you go to their days where they are the only club on track (Castle Combe or Goodwood) the cars/drivers will be split into 3 or 4 sessions of 20 or 15 minutes each depending on the drivers experience and the car with only 10 or 12 cars on track at any one time. So you will not find yourself always looking in your mirror all the time for cars/drivers that are much faster than you.
My first trackday was at Donington Park, I was very nervous beforehand but made to feel welcome and once on track it really is very gentlemanly. There are strict rules on overtaking which all drivers stick to. I don't remember feeling pressured by other cars/drivers or unsafe in anyway.
I do the trackdays in my daily MG without any problems. it always seem to run better after it has been ragged around a track for the day. Just check the usual things - oil, water, etc - keep an eye on the brake pads as they take a beating on track and check your wheel nuts are nice and tight.
Just do it - you will enjoy it and want to do more!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 12:52

Car: TF 160 Sprint LE + MG RV8 + ZR 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
This shed new light and thoutghs on the idea.

Ideally I was thinking to a more "professional" environment but, realistically, there s no reason why.

I wanted to use my car, for sentimental reason and for a testing ground, but I would not jeopardize my pride and joy.
I don't know what you mean by "professional". The organisation of the MGoT days is professional and thorough in their pre-track briefings and circuit management. My point is that the owners/drivers are more caring about their cars and each other and so take more care on track.
It was the 'race' drivers who were ignoring the overtaking rules and overtaking on the bends. Most alarming when you are relatively new to the track days, in your pride and joy and don't expect another car to be beside you as you negotiate a corner!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 13:20

Car: MG ZS
Something useful to have in the car is a fire extinguisher, i have seen a few cars with brakes on fire or turbo's going up, the track will have its own fire crews but they are usually slower to get to you than if you had one in the cabin with you

Make sure everything is bolted down and any loose items removed, my car failed scrutiny because i had a plush toy kangaroo on the dashboard, my friend also got told to remove the magic tree from his rear view mirror

Be aware racetracks are not clean! the amount of debris that will get thrown up at your car may alarm you, mostly rubber from tyres but last time i went i got a number plate tossed at me from the car ahead and my friend had a wheel nut embedded in his grill

Take some electrical tape, any glass lenses will need to be covered with it and usually a good idea to have some kind of breakdown / recovery service or a number of a local company, i have not broken down yet though something as simple as a coolant pipe bursting could see you stranded

you will use ALOT of fuel as mentioned above and brakes will fade quickly, i have 282mm vented and grooved brakes and they just about cope

if it isnt obvious already, take crash helmets, they will be required
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 13:36

Car: Evolution VII RS, MK5 RS2000, Trackday MK2 ZR 160, MK2 ZS 120+
Get down to Euros get some ATE Type 200 brake fluid, some good fully synthetic engine oil as temp will probably pass the 100 degrees mark and check all over fluid levels. Check tyres and limit yourself to 15 mins on track or when car starts to under steer a lot and go have some fun dont worry about booking onto club events most people on those are there for a Sunday drive and hold everyone up. A trackday isn't something to be worried about just go have a good day, if a car is faster than you let it past, if your faster pass and just keep eye on wants going on nice and simple be a great day
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 13-02-2017, 10:15
Supporter

Car: MG TF 160 SPRINT
Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNDQ View Post
.....and go have some fun dont worry about booking onto club events most people on those are there for a Sunday drive and hold everyone up.
Isnt that a good reason to go on a MGOT organised event until you feel more confident on track?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNDQ View Post
A trackday isn't something to be worried about just go have a good day, if a car is faster than you let it past, if your faster pass and just keep eye on wants going on nice and simple be a great day
Good advice.