What have you done to your MGF MGTF today? (Second Part) - Page 10 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 102Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #181 of 391 (permalink) Old 17-03-2017, 10:56

Car: 99 MGF & 03 MGTF 135
Talking Happy Days

Yesterday and today actually.
Took the TF for it's MOT and just before the tester started the emissions, I casually mentioned (stupidly) that the car had never failed a test. With a smile he replied, 'Well, you've failed this one' Shocked and stunned, I asked why, as I'd given it a good once over the day before and found all to be in order.
'Rear offside has a small split and bulge in the sidewall' I must admit I hadn't seen it and was a bit put out. Then he said that as he hadn't actually started the test, I could fit a new tyre and book it in again.
So, Blackcircle obliged with two 914's (70 each fitted) and it's just had the test and passed without advisories. Result and a Pint for the tester.
The Sun's out, top's down and off for a celebration jolly!
sundanceuk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 391 (permalink) Old 17-03-2017, 11:17

Car: MG TF
Going to get the wheels refurbed for the summer. Have to do them one at a time as I need the car.
Had the first one done, very pleased with the results.
Untitled by Jim Pritchard, on Flickr
post #183 of 391 (permalink) Old 17-03-2017, 11:44

Smile

Looking GOOD!
Mind if I ask how much, I have same wheels and they are a bit tatty.

post #184 of 391 (permalink) Old 17-03-2017, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvascoop View Post
Looking GOOD!
Mind if I ask how much, I have same wheels and they are a bit tatty.
Got them done locally in Basingstoke. My issues is, my Tf is my daily driver, so I cannot be without it, and as I only have one spare, it's a "one at a time" process.
Dropped this one off last Monday lunchtime, had it put back on two days later. 66.00. Not cheap, but a good job. What's the point in saving 15 a wheel for a crap job?
Alloy Wheel Refurbishment | My Alloys, the alloy wheel refurbs experts
sundanceuk likes this.
post #185 of 391 (permalink) Old 19-03-2017, 15:20

Car: MGTF 160
Hard top off and hopefully I will get a few days with the top down before sadly selling my TF. See Cars for sale for pics and info etc.

Last edited by Redatkins1; 20-03-2017 at 18:49.
post #186 of 391 (permalink) Old 19-03-2017, 15:47

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
Started preparing the front TF subframe to go on my F.
post #187 of 391 (permalink) Old 19-03-2017, 16:20

Car: Rover 620ti, 2x 1996 MGF, 4x MG TF, Mazda Bongo, 2x 1999 MGF, 1972 Ford Cortina Mk3 Citroen Picasso
pumped up the tyres on 3 of them....were a tad low
post #188 of 391 (permalink) Old 22-03-2017, 18:49

Car: MGTF 160
As I'm selling I thought I'd check how it might fair at MOT time (May 2017). Well, what do you know. He passed!! Now has 12m MOT. Of course wouldn't be an MG if he didn't have the last laugh. Also had corroded coolant pipes with quite a bad leak so they are being renewed on Friday. All ready for the new owner
post #189 of 391 (permalink) Old 27-03-2017, 12:06

Not the best of weekends.
Kerbed an alloy ( see the shiny one from several posts above. )

Then temporarily removed my brain cells and put the car through a car wash. :/
Was at a friends in Swindon and decided to get the car cleaned.
I usually use a very good hand car wash near home, but as was away, decided to go to a local car wash instead.
Totally forgot about the ariel.
Now need to replace the ariel.
Bugger.
post #190 of 391 (permalink) Old 27-03-2017, 12:29
Supporter

Car: MG Montego Turbo; 620ti x3; MG ZS; MGF and MG ZT 1.8t x2; MG ZT-T x1
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial 20 View Post
Not the best of weekends.
Kerbed an alloy ( see the shiny one from several posts above. )

Then temporarily removed my brain cells and put the car through a car wash. :/
Was at a friends in Swindon and decided to get the car cleaned.
I usually use a very good hand car wash near home, but as was away, decided to go to a local car wash instead.
Totally forgot about the ariel.
Now need to replace the ariel.
Bugger.
Bad luck day at the car wash. ...'appens. Been there done that ... The Electric Aerial on my 620ti automatically lowers which does not happen when jumping into another car. False sense of security and so easy to drop your guard. Old habits die hard and can be costly.... Many years ago, distracted by my two young sons arguing in the back of my Montego, I dropped my guard and my long aerial was ripped out and coiled tightly around the rotating washers ..

My sons are around thirty years of age now and still owe me a new aerial.

Apparently ... in a parallel universe MGJohn drives .........A.......

B>>M>>W ....

Arrrrrggghhhhh......... ......
post #191 of 391 (permalink) Old 27-03-2017, 13:26
Supporter

Car: MGTF 364 days a year. L200 for 1 day of snow.
Garages
Removed the rear crash can bumper bolts from my tf. Solid in rust. Took a while. Actually quite a bit more than a while. They come off a lot more easily if you hold the thin bracket with grips, wire brush the threads (whilst in situ), spray with shock and unlock and untighten then tighten, untighten then tighten a little at a time.
sundanceuk likes this.
post #192 of 391 (permalink) Old 27-03-2017, 16:34
Supporter

Car: MG TF 160
Tightened up the alternator belt. I have aircon and the adjuster is a real pig to tension, as you cannot get in with a long spanner so had to use a chubby ringer and got it as tight as I could. Its got about 10mm deflection now so hopefully it will be ok until I replace later this year.

Also tested my engine bay fan, works ok. Not sure if it ever comes on as I have never noticed it whirring away. Will check it a bit more often when I have been on a long run or stood idling for a while, it does create a noticeable draught through the offside vent when its running.

Sundance
post #193 of 391 (permalink) Old 27-03-2017, 16:39
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by batoutofhull View Post
Removed the rear crash can bumper bolts from my tf. Solid in rust. Took a while. Actually quite a bit more than a while. They come off a lot more easily if you hold the thin bracket with grips, wire brush the threads (whilst in situ), spray with shock and unlock and untighten then tighten, untighten then tighten a little at a time.

Been there done that, and know what a pain this jog can be. Mine totally disintegrated so replaced both crash cans and the two bumper brackets that fix into the boot!

Sundance
post #194 of 391 (permalink) Old 27-03-2017, 21:21
Supporter

Car: MGTF 364 days a year. L200 for 1 day of snow.
Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundanceuk View Post
Been there done that, and know what a pain this jog can be. Mine totally disintegrated so replaced both crash cans and the two bumper brackets that fix into the boot!

Sundance
Well I was going to mention that your back end looks a lot less pitted than mine, but you might take it the wrong way.

Guess I was lucky with my brackets. I have a slight crack in one. Its still serviceable though. I thought if I took all Sunday to loosen just two bolts, it is still quicker than waiting for replacement crash cans.
I also managed to thread a stainless nut onto one before it came off. A sort of thread cleaning attempt. Plus filed with a rounded needle file some of the threads.

If I hadn't read all the problems people have had removing these bolts maybe I would not have been forewarned and not as careful.
Next task is to change the rectifier in the alt. Feel sure I have a whining diode/diodes. Or remove the alt.
post #195 of 391 (permalink) Old 27-03-2017, 21:33

Car: Rover 620ti, 2x 1996 MGF, 4x MG TF, Mazda Bongo, 2x 1999 MGF, 1972 Ford Cortina Mk3 Citroen Picasso
Freed off the clutch arm and fitted spare slave cylinder to my red TF, also tried to get it running (purchased as non runner) fires with easy start, removed fuel lines from pump, nothing coming out so either faulty pump or electrical issue
post #196 of 391 (permalink) Old 30-03-2017, 12:52

Talking

Took a morning drive up to Lodge Farm and let Mark at K-Maps loose on the TF. He explained to me what he was doing and even showed me the mass of numbers in the little boxes on screen. I ummed and arred in all the right places (I hope!) but between ourselves, didn't really understand a word he said.

However after a relatively short time and with a slightly lighter wallet, I drove home in a much improved car. The throttle response is far better and it revs forever with improved acceleration in the mid range. Oh...and a nice, meaty yet subdued burble on lift off. The A 429 was almost a pleasure.

Worth the drive for sure.
post #197 of 391 (permalink) Old 30-03-2017, 14:30

purchased a news set of OEM mats.
Will be spending a good few hours cleaning her and getting her ready for MG Era on Sunday.
Also purchased some white silicon grease yesterday as I have a squeaky bush that need lubricating. (phnar phnar)

She should be stunning on Sunday
post #198 of 391 (permalink) Old 30-03-2017, 17:06
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by batoutofhull View Post
Well I was going to mention that your back end looks a lot less pitted than mine, but you might take it the wrong way.

Guess I was lucky with my brackets. I have a slight crack in one. Its still serviceable though. I thought if I took all Sunday to loosen just two bolts, it is still quicker than waiting for replacement crash cans.
I also managed to thread a stainless nut onto one before it came off. A sort of thread cleaning attempt. Plus filed with a rounded needle file some of the threads.

If I hadn't read all the problems people have had removing these bolts maybe I would not have been forewarned and not as careful.
Next task is to change the rectifier in the alt. Feel sure I have a whining diode/diodes. Or remove the alt.
Rectifiers are solid state and work until they blow, so if its still charging I am pretty sure that they are ok, maybe rotten connections or corrosion would hamper the alternators ability. Maybe the bearings are on the way out.

When I had my rear bumper off, I made use of the access to address the bits of rust that was developing on the rear, hence the off colour XP Grey paint, which is ok as the bumper hides the work. The new crash cans also received an extra coat of Hammerite before I fitted them.
Good luck with the alternator

Sundance
batoutofhull likes this.
post #199 of 391 (permalink) Old 31-03-2017, 13:14

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial 20 View Post
purchased a news set of OEM mats.
Will be spending a good few hours cleaning her and getting her ready for MG Era on Sunday.
Also purchased some white silicon grease yesterday as I have a squeaky bush that need lubricating. (phnar phnar)

She should be stunning on Sunday
I hope that's the car you're referring to and not the wife....Oohhh Mississ!
post #200 of 391 (permalink) Old 31-03-2017, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvascoop View Post
I hope that's the car you're referring to and not the wife....Oohhh Mississ!
Now that would be telling

Also just purchased a new cigar lighter from the Bay of E.
To quote the great Will Smith " It's for the look, I don't light it! "

:0)