What have you done to your MGF MGTF today? (Second Part) - Page 14 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #261 of 322 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 19:15

Car: Rover 620ti, 2x 1996 MGF, 4x MG TF, Mazda Bongo, 2x 1999 MGF, 1972 Ford Cortina Mk3 Citroen Picasso
Took my F for a spin.....not really a what I've done as I drive it daily, however; after calling into a shop came out and saw this

Yes, the dreaded radiator leak on the front left corner (when looking from front)...third F/TF this has happened on now.

Luckily, I have this spare radiator to fit tomorrow evening

So what have I done to my F today, sprayed penetrating oil on all slam panel bolts ready for dismantling tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #262 of 322 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 19:49
Stuck in the 80's...

Car: Flame Red '95 MGF, 17 Mini Cooper S, 13 VX Astra, 15 VX Corsa & 59 Fiesta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dert View Post
Took my F for a spin.....not really a what I've done as I drive it daily, however; after calling into a shop came out and saw this

Yes, the dreaded radiator leak on the front left corner (when looking from front)...third F/TF this has happened on now.

Luckily, I have this spare radiator to fit tomorrow evening

So what have I done to my F today, sprayed penetrating oil on all slam panel bolts ready for dismantling tomorrow
Could have been far worse matey, imagine that during a long run... HGF

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For .org forum only search results in Google, add "site:mg-rover.org" after your search criteria

Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself.
post #263 of 322 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 20:16

Car: Rover 620ti, 2x 1996 MGF, 4x MG TF, Mazda Bongo, 2x 1999 MGF, 1972 Ford Cortina Mk3 Citroen Picasso
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMc View Post
Could have been far worse matey, imagine that during a long run... HGF

I was thinking that, would have been doing 150 miles in it tomorrow so glad it happened today...annoying tho because my trip tomorrow will have to be done in a boring picasso rather than the F

post #264 of 322 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 21:22

Car: MG TF
Not so much what I've done today as the last week;
Laid up my 54 plate 115- it felt like I was building up a backlog of things to do. Change PRT and a couple of hoses, investigate my rattle (lazy lifter, loose liner?!) Treat the subframes, deal with my shabby bodywork before the rot gets in. So she's now sorned awaiting overdue TLC.

However, being TFless for possibly quite a while felt bad, so at the weekend I bought another one
Picked up a BRG 135 with 52k miles pretty cheap as a second car. Good news? Looks like recent discs, exhaust fresh, coolant bottle clean enough to hint there's no history of HG trouble, and no suggestion of mayo on dipstick. Hood in excellent condition. Goes well and stops well.
BAD news? No history at all. A complete pig in a poke. Came filthy with a damaged front bumper, reflected in price. Drove her 400 miles home (having checked my RAC membership was still in place). So now I'm thinking I'd best service her, including the timing belt which is new for me. If the belt on this broke and I had TWO dead MGs on the drive I'd never hear the end of it.

Also thinking the 135 sounds better- throatier, deeper tone (found out the radio was bust en route, so had 9 hours to enjoy the engine note) and has a bit more 'urge'. Can that really be down to just 20 extra horses?? After a wash the metallic BRG is really pretty. These cars must have been such a pleasure to buy new- even 15 years old with battle scars Pixie (yeah, the wife has named her already) looks good.
sundanceuk, Mikeadman and lavaman like this.
post #265 of 322 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 22:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Also thinking the 135 sounds better- throatier, deeper tone (found out the radio was bust en route, so had 9 hours to enjoy the engine note) and has a bit more 'urge'. Can that really be down to just 20 extra horses?? After a wash the metallic BRG is really pretty. These cars must have been such a pleasure to buy new- even 15 years old with battle scars Pixie (yeah, the wife has named her already) looks good.
I would assume so, 20 extra horses is almost 20% more horsepower compared to the 115. People will go to great lengths and spend untold amounts of money to add another 20 horses on top of their 135s or 160s (of the MG or even Lotus variety)
post #266 of 322 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 22:49
Supporter

Car: MG TF 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1981 View Post
I would assume so, 20 extra horses is almost 20% more horsepower compared to the 115. People will go to great lengths and spend untold amounts of money to add another 20 horses on top of their 135s or 160s (of the MG or even Lotus variety)
Yeah, should have had a KV6 option with twin turbos!
Mikeadman likes this.
post #267 of 322 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 19:20

Changed my radiator as it wasn't well

Unfortunately the new all alloy one I fitted had one of the mount pins welded in the wrong area. Annoyingly, although it is brand new, I've had it sitting in a box for over two years so no point in contacting seller ..will have to do a mod on it to rectify.

post #268 of 322 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 21:11

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
There was a batch like that, IIRC someone came up with a fix.
post #269 of 322 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 20:34

Car: MGF
Quote:
Originally Posted by dert View Post
Fitted the standard CD/Radio player back into my 75th

Sadly, the person before me had removed the original and fitted a JVC unit, the standard one, even second hand are about twice the price of the JVC unit due to it being the same as the BMW business unit. So, if any of you have one of the ones above (XQE 100) and are not using it, they are going for silly prices on fleabay

Whilst I was trolling the local scrapyard yesterday, I came across this just lying in the passenger foot well of a Y reg MGF that I was scouring over for various bits.

I recall seeing the above post, and as such, I added it to my 'shopping basket'. All in all, I came home with x2 window stops in good condition, x7 bulbs for the high level brake light as some of mine had gone, an IACV (unfortunately for me, I got the wrong one - needed the earlier one) and a few other bits and bobs.

Asked the bloke for how much.......15 for the lot. Needless to say, I scurried away rather quickly with my horde, feeling quite chuffed with myself!

I've since plugged in the head unit and whilst it is working, I need a decode for it. I'll ask about that in a new thread.
post #270 of 322 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 20:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviejones133 View Post
Whilst I was trolling the local scrapyard yesterday, I came across this just lying in the passenger foot well of a Y reg MGF that I was scouring over for various bits.

I recall seeing the above post, and as such, I added it to my 'shopping basket'. All in all, I came home with x2 window stops in good condition, x7 bulbs for the high level brake light as some of mine had gone, an IACV (unfortunately for me, I got the wrong one - needed the earlier one) and a few other bits and bobs.

Asked the bloke for how much.......15 for the lot. Needless to say, I scurried away rather quickly with my horde, feeling quite chuffed with myself!

I've since plugged in the head unit and whilst it is working, I need a decode for it. I'll ask about that in a new thread.

Bargain that, paid 60 for my radio off fleabay

Try here for radio code, you maybe lucky Car Radio Unlocking - Page 3645 - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums
steviejones133 likes this.
post #271 of 322 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 20:55

Duly noted, dert - thanks for the linky.
post #272 of 322 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 22:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundanceuk View Post
Yeah, should have had a KV6 option with twin turbos!
200 bhp sounds like the sweet spot, if only there was more space in the engine bay
post #273 of 322 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 16:38

Car: 1996 MGF 1.8
Today... is not my day... I managed to scratch/dent the entire rear o/s panel trying to squeeze through a small entrance with a low brick wall on the side of me.....

It's worse as I just blew my savings on a (rather awesome) blueflame exhaust that was fitted the day before.

Never as much as scratched any car I've owned but I was focusing too much on getting through the damn gap and not hitting the parked car opposite it until I heard the noise and knew I messed up.
post #274 of 322 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 16:56
Supporter

Car: MG TF 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorian View Post
Today... is not my day... I managed to scratch/dent the entire rear o/s panel trying to squeeze through a small entrance with a low brick wall on the side of me.....

It's worse as I just blew my savings on a (rather awesome) blueflame exhaust that was fitted the day before.

Never as much as scratched any car I've owned but I was focusing too much on getting through the damn gap and not hitting the parked car opposite it until I heard the noise and knew I messed up.
Slap some grease on the damaged area to keep any moisture and oxidisation out of the bare steel and leave it on until you get it to a bodyshop.
Kinda feeling your pain, as my missus backed into mine yesterday and damaged the front bumper, not the same league of damage as yours, but was going to see Lee121 on Sunday to get my stripes fitted. My local bodyshop guy managed to squeeze me in today to get it sorted so I can still get my stripes on, but it still sets me back 100.
Good luck with the repair!

Sundance
post #275 of 322 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 17:01

Aaaargghh! That looks sore. And from the colour, is that an LE500?
What a shame Jorian. I hope you get that fixed, but I think damage to the rear panel is a bit more problematic. Any minute now someone who's had to fix something similar will come along.
Sorry, and good luck.
post #276 of 322 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 17:09

Car: 1996 MGF 1.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundanceuk View Post
Slap some grease on the damaged area to keep any moisture and oxidisation out of the bare steel and leave it on until you get it to a bodyshop.
Kinda feeling your pain, as my missus backed into mine yesterday and damaged the front bumper, not the same league of damage as yours, but was going to see Lee121 on Sunday to get my stripes fitted. My local bodyshop guy managed to squeeze me in today to get it sorted so I can still get my stripes on, but it still sets me back 100.
Good luck with the repair!

Sundance
Thanks very much, have been past a few body shops today and will cost me north of 400 to sort sadly but it'll teach me to be more careful I suppose! My first accident of any sort but I don't know of anyone that hasn't had one at all so that makes me a feel a bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Aaaargghh! That looks sore. And from the colour, is that an LE500?
What a shame Jorian. I hope you get that fixed, but I think damage to the rear panel is a bit more problematic. Any minute now someone who's had to fix something similar will come along.
Sorry, and good luck.
Cheers Skellum, It is an LE500 indeed, nr 75/500 and my pride and joy. (also my daily driver!)
Thankfully it seems the steel there is quite soft so the bodyshops reckon it won't be too difficult to get back into shape but at a price of course, times like these I am glad I have my 0% credit card laying around as I'd hate to have to live with this for a few months
post #277 of 322 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 20:33

I can only imagine how devastated you must feel - I got trolley dinged in a car park (car otherwise pristine) and I was mortified. I still have to get it sorted, but similar to you, the dent/damage is on the rear quarter panel and I was getting quotes in the same region (3-400) to have the whole panel redone.

Good luck in getting it sorted. Hopefully once done, you can put it behind you.
post #278 of 322 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 12:10

Took the F for an MOT, passed with advisories for rear tyres low and the usual corrosion on underside....mind you, the chap wire brushed it down and sprayed under seal on for free
post #279 of 322 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 13:25

Car: Rover 75
don't buy these on eBay they are crap.you only get what you pay for
post #280 of 322 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 14:28
Stuck in the 80's...

Car: Flame Red '95 MGF, 17 Mini Cooper S, 13 VX Astra, 15 VX Corsa & 59 Fiesta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham8408 View Post
don't buy these on eBay they are crap.you only get what you pay for
Buy what? Cant see anything.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For .org forum only search results in Google, add "site:mg-rover.org" after your search criteria

Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself.