What have you done to your MGF MGTF today? (Second Part) - Page 14 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 88Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #261 of 322 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 19:15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bridgend South Wales
Car: Rover 620ti, 2x 1996 MGF, 4x MG TF, Mazda Bongo, 2x 1999 MGF, 1972 Ford Cortina Mk3 Citroen Picasso
Posts: 1,289
Took my F for a spin.....not really a what I've done as I drive it daily, however; after calling into a shop came out and saw this


Yes, the dreaded radiator leak on the front left corner (when looking from front)...third F/TF this has happened on now.

Luckily, I have this spare radiator to fit tomorrow evening






So what have I done to my F today, sprayed penetrating oil on all slam panel bolts ready for dismantling tomorrow
dert is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #262 of 322 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 19:49
Stuck in the 80's...
 
IanMc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Braintree, Essex
Car: Flame Red '95 MGF, 17 Mini Cooper S, 13 VX Astra, 15 VX Corsa & 59 Fiesta.
Posts: 4,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by dert View Post
Took my F for a spin.....not really a what I've done as I drive it daily, however; after calling into a shop came out and saw this

Yes, the dreaded radiator leak on the front left corner (when looking from front)...third F/TF this has happened on now.

Luckily, I have this spare radiator to fit tomorrow evening


So what have I done to my F today, sprayed penetrating oil on all slam panel bolts ready for dismantling tomorrow
Could have been far worse matey, imagine that during a long run... HGF

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


For .org forum only search results in Google, add "site:mg-rover.org" after your search criteria

Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself.
IanMc is online now  
post #263 of 322 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 20:16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bridgend South Wales
Car: Rover 620ti, 2x 1996 MGF, 4x MG TF, Mazda Bongo, 2x 1999 MGF, 1972 Ford Cortina Mk3 Citroen Picasso
Posts: 1,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMc View Post
Could have been far worse matey, imagine that during a long run... HGF

I was thinking that, would have been doing 150 miles in it tomorrow so glad it happened today...annoying tho because my trip tomorrow will have to be done in a boring picasso rather than the F
dert is offline  
 
post #264 of 322 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 21:22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Stornoway, Isle of Lewis
Car: MG TF
Posts: 396
Not so much what I've done today as the last week;
Laid up my 54 plate 115- it felt like I was building up a backlog of things to do. Change PRT and a couple of hoses, investigate my rattle (lazy lifter, loose liner?!) Treat the subframes, deal with my shabby bodywork before the rot gets in. So she's now sorned awaiting overdue TLC.

However, being TFless for possibly quite a while felt bad, so at the weekend I bought another one
Picked up a BRG 135 with 52k miles pretty cheap as a second car. Good news? Looks like recent discs, exhaust fresh, coolant bottle clean enough to hint there's no history of HG trouble, and no suggestion of mayo on dipstick. Hood in excellent condition. Goes well and stops well.
BAD news? No history at all. A complete pig in a poke. Came filthy with a damaged front bumper, reflected in price. Drove her 400 miles home (having checked my RAC membership was still in place). So now I'm thinking I'd best service her, including the timing belt which is new for me. If the belt on this broke and I had TWO dead MGs on the drive I'd never hear the end of it.

Also thinking the 135 sounds better- throatier, deeper tone (found out the radio was bust en route, so had 9 hours to enjoy the engine note) and has a bit more 'urge'. Can that really be down to just 20 extra horses?? After a wash the metallic BRG is really pretty. These cars must have been such a pleasure to buy new- even 15 years old with battle scars Pixie (yeah, the wife has named her already) looks good.
sundanceuk, Mikeadman and lavaman like this.
skellum is offline  
post #265 of 322 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 22:32
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: London
Car: MG TF
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Also thinking the 135 sounds better- throatier, deeper tone (found out the radio was bust en route, so had 9 hours to enjoy the engine note) and has a bit more 'urge'. Can that really be down to just 20 extra horses?? After a wash the metallic BRG is really pretty. These cars must have been such a pleasure to buy new- even 15 years old with battle scars Pixie (yeah, the wife has named her already) looks good.
I would assume so, 20 extra horses is almost 20% more horsepower compared to the 115. People will go to great lengths and spend untold amounts of money to add another 20 horses on top of their 135s or 160s (of the MG or even Lotus variety)
nick1981 is offline  
post #266 of 322 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 22:49
Supporter
 
sundanceuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Staffs
Car: MG TF 160
Posts: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1981 View Post
I would assume so, 20 extra horses is almost 20% more horsepower compared to the 115. People will go to great lengths and spend untold amounts of money to add another 20 horses on top of their 135s or 160s (of the MG or even Lotus variety)
Yeah, should have had a KV6 option with twin turbos!
Mikeadman likes this.
sundanceuk is offline  
post #267 of 322 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 19:20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bridgend South Wales
Car: Rover 620ti, 2x 1996 MGF, 4x MG TF, Mazda Bongo, 2x 1999 MGF, 1972 Ford Cortina Mk3 Citroen Picasso
Posts: 1,289
Changed my radiator as it wasn't well



Unfortunately the new all alloy one I fitted had one of the mount pins welded in the wrong area. Annoyingly, although it is brand new, I've had it sitting in a box for over two years so no point in contacting seller ..will have to do a mod on it to rectify.

dert is offline  
post #268 of 322 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 21:11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
Posts: 5,738
There was a batch like that, IIRC someone came up with a fix.
Talkingcars is offline  
post #269 of 322 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 20:34
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Wrexham, North Wales
Car: MGF
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dert View Post
Fitted the standard CD/Radio player back into my 75th



Sadly, the person before me had removed the original and fitted a JVC unit, the standard one, even second hand are about twice the price of the JVC unit due to it being the same as the BMW business unit. So, if any of you have one of the ones above (XQE 100) and are not using it, they are going for silly prices on fleabay

Whilst I was trolling the local scrapyard yesterday, I came across this just lying in the passenger foot well of a Y reg MGF that I was scouring over for various bits.



I recall seeing the above post, and as such, I added it to my 'shopping basket'. All in all, I came home with x2 window stops in good condition, x7 bulbs for the high level brake light as some of mine had gone, an IACV (unfortunately for me, I got the wrong one - needed the earlier one) and a few other bits and bobs.

Asked the bloke for how much.......15 for the lot. Needless to say, I scurried away rather quickly with my horde, feeling quite chuffed with myself!

I've since plugged in the head unit and whilst it is working, I need a decode for it. I'll ask about that in a new thread.
steviejones133 is offline  
post #270 of 322 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 20:43
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bridgend South Wales
Car: Rover 620ti, 2x 1996 MGF, 4x MG TF, Mazda Bongo, 2x 1999 MGF, 1972 Ford Cortina Mk3 Citroen Picasso
Posts: 1,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviejones133 View Post
Whilst I was trolling the local scrapyard yesterday, I came across this just lying in the passenger foot well of a Y reg MGF that I was scouring over for various bits.



I recall seeing the above post, and as such, I added it to my 'shopping basket'. All in all, I came home with x2 window stops in good condition, x7 bulbs for the high level brake light as some of mine had gone, an IACV (unfortunately for me, I got the wrong one - needed the earlier one) and a few other bits and bobs.

Asked the bloke for how much.......15 for the lot. Needless to say, I scurried away rather quickly with my horde, feeling quite chuffed with myself!

I've since plugged in the head unit and whilst it is working, I need a decode for it. I'll ask about that in a new thread.

Bargain that, paid 60 for my radio off fleabay

Try here for radio code, you maybe lucky Car Radio Unlocking - Page 3645 - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums
steviejones133 likes this.
dert is offline  
post #271 of 322 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 20:55
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Wrexham, North Wales
Car: MGF
Posts: 1,107
Duly noted, dert - thanks for the linky.
steviejones133 is offline  
post #272 of 322 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 22:38
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: London
Car: MG TF
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundanceuk View Post
Yeah, should have had a KV6 option with twin turbos!
200 bhp sounds like the sweet spot, if only there was more space in the engine bay
nick1981 is offline  
post #273 of 322 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 16:38
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: West Sussex
Car: 1996 MGF 1.8
Posts: 53
Today... is not my day... I managed to scratch/dent the entire rear o/s panel trying to squeeze through a small entrance with a low brick wall on the side of me.....



It's worse as I just blew my savings on a (rather awesome) blueflame exhaust that was fitted the day before.

Never as much as scratched any car I've owned but I was focusing too much on getting through the damn gap and not hitting the parked car opposite it until I heard the noise and knew I messed up.
Jorian is offline  
post #274 of 322 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 16:56
Supporter
 
sundanceuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Staffs
Car: MG TF 160
Posts: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorian View Post
Today... is not my day... I managed to scratch/dent the entire rear o/s panel trying to squeeze through a small entrance with a low brick wall on the side of me.....



It's worse as I just blew my savings on a (rather awesome) blueflame exhaust that was fitted the day before.

Never as much as scratched any car I've owned but I was focusing too much on getting through the damn gap and not hitting the parked car opposite it until I heard the noise and knew I messed up.
Slap some grease on the damaged area to keep any moisture and oxidisation out of the bare steel and leave it on until you get it to a bodyshop.
Kinda feeling your pain, as my missus backed into mine yesterday and damaged the front bumper, not the same league of damage as yours, but was going to see Lee121 on Sunday to get my stripes fitted. My local bodyshop guy managed to squeeze me in today to get it sorted so I can still get my stripes on, but it still sets me back 100.
Good luck with the repair!


Sundance
sundanceuk is offline  
post #275 of 322 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 17:01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Stornoway, Isle of Lewis
Car: MG TF
Posts: 396
Aaaargghh! That looks sore. And from the colour, is that an LE500?
What a shame Jorian. I hope you get that fixed, but I think damage to the rear panel is a bit more problematic. Any minute now someone who's had to fix something similar will come along.
Sorry, and good luck.
skellum is offline  
post #276 of 322 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 17:09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: West Sussex
Car: 1996 MGF 1.8
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundanceuk View Post
Slap some grease on the damaged area to keep any moisture and oxidisation out of the bare steel and leave it on until you get it to a bodyshop.
Kinda feeling your pain, as my missus backed into mine yesterday and damaged the front bumper, not the same league of damage as yours, but was going to see Lee121 on Sunday to get my stripes fitted. My local bodyshop guy managed to squeeze me in today to get it sorted so I can still get my stripes on, but it still sets me back 100.
Good luck with the repair!

Sundance
Thanks very much, have been past a few body shops today and will cost me north of 400 to sort sadly but it'll teach me to be more careful I suppose! My first accident of any sort but I don't know of anyone that hasn't had one at all so that makes me a feel a bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Aaaargghh! That looks sore. And from the colour, is that an LE500?
What a shame Jorian. I hope you get that fixed, but I think damage to the rear panel is a bit more problematic. Any minute now someone who's had to fix something similar will come along.
Sorry, and good luck.
Cheers Skellum, It is an LE500 indeed, nr 75/500 and my pride and joy. (also my daily driver!)
Thankfully it seems the steel there is quite soft so the bodyshops reckon it won't be too difficult to get back into shape but at a price of course, times like these I am glad I have my 0% credit card laying around as I'd hate to have to live with this for a few months
Jorian is offline  
post #277 of 322 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 20:33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Wrexham, North Wales
Car: MGF
Posts: 1,107
I can only imagine how devastated you must feel - I got trolley dinged in a car park (car otherwise pristine) and I was mortified. I still have to get it sorted, but similar to you, the dent/damage is on the rear quarter panel and I was getting quotes in the same region (3-400) to have the whole panel redone.

Good luck in getting it sorted. Hopefully once done, you can put it behind you.
steviejones133 is offline  
post #278 of 322 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 12:10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bridgend South Wales
Car: Rover 620ti, 2x 1996 MGF, 4x MG TF, Mazda Bongo, 2x 1999 MGF, 1972 Ford Cortina Mk3 Citroen Picasso
Posts: 1,289
Took the F for an MOT, passed with advisories for rear tyres low and the usual corrosion on underside....mind you, the chap wire brushed it down and sprayed under seal on for free
dert is offline  
post #279 of 322 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 13:25
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Car: Rover 75
Posts: 35
don't buy these on eBay they are crap.you only get what you pay for
graham8408 is offline  
post #280 of 322 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 14:28
Stuck in the 80's...
 
IanMc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Braintree, Essex
Car: Flame Red '95 MGF, 17 Mini Cooper S, 13 VX Astra, 15 VX Corsa & 59 Fiesta.
Posts: 4,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham8408 View Post
don't buy these on eBay they are crap.you only get what you pay for
Buy what? Cant see anything.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


For .org forum only search results in Google, add "site:mg-rover.org" after your search criteria

Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself.
IanMc is online now  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MG-Rover.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
johnan
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What have you done to your MGF MGTF today? (First Part) MGJohn MGF and MGTF (Sponsored by MGFnTFBITZ) 3239 27-08-2016 09:29
MGTF - Part Number for Pipe loones MGF and MGTF (Sponsored by MGFnTFBITZ) 1 31-05-2016 23:45
MGTF Pleeease Help my find a part !! tina MGF and MGTF (Sponsored by MGFnTFBITZ) 2 02-03-2006 18:54
Different part - Same part problem!! (MGF) mitch66uk MG / Rover Related Chat - up to 2005 5 17-01-2003 21:09

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome