What have you done to your MGF MGTF today? (Second Part) - Page 16 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 101Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #301 of 388 (permalink) Old 18-05-2017, 20:57

Car: MGF
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1981 View Post
Haven't done it yet! Waiting for the wife to go to bed first. haha
Haha - best of luck with it, good job so far!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 388 (permalink) Old 18-05-2017, 21:33

Car: MG TF
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviejones133 View Post
Haha - best of luck with it, good job so far!
Thanks! I did this in a second hand frame just in case I messed it up. I am keen on doing this on a second hand cowl as well but they are hard to come buy and quite expensive! Decisions.... (I'll be cheap and bold!)
post #303 of 388 (permalink) Old 19-05-2017, 18:08

Car: Rover 620ti, 2x 1996 MGF, 4x MG TF, Mazda Bongo, 2x 1999 MGF, 1972 Ford Cortina Mk3 Citroen Picasso
Just fitted a new tyre on the back of my F as the one on the car was a tad shredded....Garage only had one 215 40 16 in stock so a tad limited for choice as in no choice at all. Should be interesting as its a make I've never heard before....Minerva F105

Seems ok in the dry, just wondering how much fun it will be in wet conditions
Minerva F105

post #304 of 388 (permalink) Old 21-05-2017, 09:10

Sun's out - so today's job is to replace my slightly cloudy rear screen with a nice new glass version, and also fit some anti-lock straps to the hood ....wish me luck.
post #305 of 388 (permalink) Old 21-05-2017, 09:31
Supporter

Car: Mini Cooper, MG TF, MG Midget
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonyM View Post
Sun's out - so today's job is to replace my slightly cloudy rear screen with a nice new glass version, and also fit some anti-lock straps to the hood ....wish me luck.
Good luck!
A nice clean satisfying job for a Sunday afternoon.
post #306 of 388 (permalink) Old 21-05-2017, 10:32

Just fitted 3 extra 12v plugs via the ciggie lighter. Obviously wasn't quite as straight forward as I thought. Cables stuck and awkward to get at. Several offerings of skin and blood left to the MG gods as sacrifices! All good now. Really should give her a clean now whilst the weather holds
post #307 of 388 (permalink) Old 21-05-2017, 10:47
Supporter

Car: MGTF 364 days a year. L200 for 1 day of snow.
Garages
Quote:
Allow a good couple of hours. If the roof won't push down after fitting don't worry. Most times the fabric from the glass section needs to stretch a little.
also don't put the roof down with out the parcel shelf/ engine cover sound proofing in place. I did this once and it makes a large thwack noise. I thought I'd broken the glass!
Good luck.
post #308 of 388 (permalink) Old 21-05-2017, 14:09

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by batoutofhull View Post
.....If the roof won't push down after fitting don't worry. Most times the fabric from the glass section needs to stretch a little......
Hook on but don't close the rear clips.
Hook on but don't close the front clips.
Close the rear clips.
Struggle to close the front clips, eventually they will close.
post #309 of 388 (permalink) Old 21-05-2017, 14:13

Todays job is setting out and concreting in the upright supports for the decking.
Mrs TC asked when the F would be ready to have its anti roll bar back on.
I asked if she was asking me to spend the day on the car - sadly not.

So in between posts and rounds 10, 11 and 12 of BTCC I hung the anti roll bar from its sub frame brackets, no bushes, just hanging.
post #310 of 388 (permalink) Old 21-05-2017, 14:44

Quote:
All done - very pleased with the result. It was a straightforward fit, bar a couple of reluctant rivets that wouldn't push out and had to be drilled. But not much over an hour from start to finish.

Thanks for all the tips.
post #311 of 388 (permalink) Old 21-05-2017, 20:15

Car: Rover 75 CDT, Metro 116,MGF VVC,Mrs JoCoLo's Panda 1.2 and Mstr JoCoLo's TF 115
I reconnected my reversing switch to the harness, it had come apart and was dangling. However I then discovered I have no reversing light as it has Lexus style rear lamps. I have some originals so may switch them. I tried to cure the squeaking alternator belt by fitting a new one but it was no better and it's on full adjustment, I need a smaller belt.
post #312 of 388 (permalink) Old 21-05-2017, 20:54

Car: Ford Focus Titanium TDi .MGF 1.8i. MGTF 160 "track-day car"
Finally got round to fitting my second-hand Spax suspension and Mike Satur lowering springs to my TF160. Also did a quick clean up of the horrendously neglected running gear and bodywork behind the shockers before fitting the new stuff. Welded a patch over small hole in 1 front wishbone then gave everything a lathering of black paint. typically the last shocker top nut wouldn't come undone and had to be drilled through as access in engine bay was a nightmare.
Bring on the track-day at Blyton Park next sunday to see if new suspension and last weeks remapping by Mark (kMaps) at Trophy Cars open day has made me a bit more competitive..
post #313 of 388 (permalink) Old 23-05-2017, 07:31

Car: MGF VVC MK2
I fixed the leak on the passenger window using this seal

Just widen up the window seal, that creates like a socket, and insert this. Seems part of the original if you fit well.
Since is self adhesive, will not move or come out.
This way you can refurbish your old seal indefinitely.
In reality I still need to properly align the glass with the cheater, so I expect the seal to even improve.

The same seal I've put on the front of the soft hood, so stop any wind noise.

I've removed the gap on the side of the hood by using this seal

I'll take a picture this morning. Much reduced noise when hood closed and no water ingress when washing the car.
Still is not anti aesthetic.

Sealed the back of the hood with this other seal

Pressure washing still make things leak.

Last edited by DeathFromAbove; 23-05-2017 at 07:39.
post #314 of 388 (permalink) Old 23-05-2017, 12:57

Car: MG TF Trophy Blue
Fitted a K&N Apollo induction kit, looking good and matches car quite well I just need to replace the hose for silicone hoses.

Also need to clean my engine bay

Sounds good, seems petrol consumption has gone up a little though...
post #315 of 388 (permalink) Old 23-05-2017, 15:58

Car: MG TF Trophy Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
I fixed the leak on the passenger window using this seal

Just widen up the window seal, that creates like a socket, and insert this. Seems part of the original if you fit well.
Since is self adhesive, will not move or come out.
This way you can refurbish your old seal indefinitely.
In reality I still need to properly align the glass with the cheater, so I expect the seal to even improve.

The same seal I've put on the front of the soft hood, so stop any wind noise.

I've removed the gap on the side of the hood by using this seal

I'll take a picture this morning. Much reduced noise when hood closed and no water ingress when washing the car.
Still is not anti aesthetic.

Sealed the back of the hood with this other seal

Pressure washing still make things leak.
Have you got any pics of this as I was thinking about doing this and just trying to get my head around it?
post #316 of 388 (permalink) Old 23-05-2017, 22:10

Purchased from flea-bay a full set of hydragas spheres with a view to attempting a refill of the gas. I see there are now sellers on ebay offering ready-filled spheres, however if a job's worth doing it's worth mucking up yourself first before going with someone more competent!
post #317 of 388 (permalink) Old 24-05-2017, 20:31

Not much really. Dismantled the high level brake light to replace two bulbs that had gone. Cleaned up the contacts and they worked. At least I've now got some spares!. All 7 bulbs now fully functional and looking good again........
post #318 of 388 (permalink) Old 25-05-2017, 07:15

Car: MG TF 135 Spark
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Leigh View Post
Purchased from flea-bay a full set of hydragas spheres with a view to attempting a refill of the gas. I see there are now sellers on ebay offering ready-filled spheres, however if a job's worth doing it's worth mucking up yourself first before going with someone more competent!
Couldn't of put it better myself - a true mechanical hero!
post #319 of 388 (permalink) Old 25-05-2017, 20:05

Car: MG F MKII & MG TF Sprint SE
Changed the seal in the clutch slave. Got in a right state in the sun and heat with lining up the clevis pin (bloodied knuckles)....then realised I could release the bloody fluid nipple. Job done manually with the other half operating clutch pedal and me bleeding it slowly, the ez bleed arrives tomorrow so may flush the whole system, works a treat already though.
post #320 of 388 (permalink) Old 25-05-2017, 21:44

Weighed in the scrapped remains of the hydragas subframe from my F - hardly worth my time - 3.73.