What's the best track day car???? - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 14:08 Thread Starter

Car: MG TF135, Saab 93 TID Sport, VW Beetle Cab
What's the best track day car????

Now I have a 135bhp TF as a Toy, play car, but as it is a 39,000miler with full service history I don't really want to kill it on a Track. So the 64,000 dollar question is?

What is the best track day only car/ possible race series car???

MGF
MGF VVC
MGTF 135 BHP
MGTF 160 BHP
As this is a 5th car for us and a 3rd for me, still want it on classic insurance but could prep it for racing, ie roll cage etc etc. Plus it needs to be cheap.... ebay price!!!!

Any ones views would be cool.

Si

Last edited by Sewb; 02-08-2011 at 14:32.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 14:13

Car: TF160
What you need is a fettled VVC running about 170bhp lol

MGF for sale 170bhp+ 850

Enough extras on it to sell for track day stuff

Jason (A shameless plug but could be what you are after..)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 14:19 Thread Starter

Cool

Looked at that, got to get through a holiday first, so a bit tooo soon for me to buy, looking maybe later in the year.

Nice try though

Si

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 15:25

Car: na
What you need is the cheapest frikkin F you can find. Airfield trackdays knock the **** out of the suspension, so I'd buy one almost with a view to it being disposable
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 06:48

Car: MGF
I bought an F for 400. By the time I lost some weight from it and sold the bits on fleabay, fitted a front splitter, polybushed the arb, fitted a harness bar and half cage, harnesses, lowering knuckles, individualizing kit, front chassis stiffening braces, light weight seats, some 16" wheels and tyres, It now owes me 800ish.

It can all be done on a budget and F bits are very cheap to find and repair if you have a 'little off'

Mine is only a lowly 1.8, but with the weight loss, the exhaust freed up a little and filter, she is a nice responsive little car.

It all depends on what time you have to prep the car, and how much you want to spend.

I have only had the car out for one track day so far (before a lot of the work was done) and its a brilliant cheap day out without the option of stuffing your pride and joy into a bail.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6807

my build thread
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 08:06

Car: MGF Trophy 160, MG ZS180
If you want to - fine - but I don't think it's necessary to have a special car just for track days as long as you avoid the bumpier airfield 'tracks'. Unless you trailer it, you've still got to shell out for Tax & MOT - or a trailer and loads of fuel to get there.

Personally I prefer to go to more track days than spend my money on extreme mods. Good breathing, good tyres, correct tracking and AP front brakes make sense. Apart from that, invest in yourself as a driver.

My daily drive car has been on over 50 track days and now at 77K is still going great. They're pretty bullet proof mechanically, as long as you keep up good maintenance. Body wise - I've had more damage in Tescos car park.

If you are big enough not to get upset by being overtaken by an obviously faster car, you can have as much fun in a 75BHP MG Midget as an MG SV. The fun is in the challenge of getting your lines and driving right : You, the Car and the Circuit.

Check out MGs on Track, a non profit branch of the MG Car Club, we run around 10 days a year at quality circuits. www.mgs-on-track.com

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 09:23 Thread Starter

Cheers Tim and Jaffa, that's the sort of replies i'm after. Brands is 10mins from where I live, so defo up for the Dec track day, My Tf is a 2nd/3rd car for me, but it is mint with low miles and nice for me and the misses to go out on a Sunday afternoon. Basically I dont want to kill the car, and would rather, do up and prep another car, you know ebay job for 400 likes Tim's.

My misses has alrady said to me we need harnesses for the road going TF, that's me heavy on the foot ;-)

Cheers guys.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 11:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewb View Post
Cheers Tim and Jaffa,
.....and would rather, do up and prep another car, you know ebay job for 400 likes Tim's.....
Oi

mine cost me 14,000 - although that was 10 years ago

Many - No most of the cars we see at MGoT days are mint Track days with other operators might be a bit different.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 11:49 Thread Starter

Sorry Tim, meant to say Jaffa's not Tims lol, the T is really close to the J on a keyboard espically with BIG fat fingers.

si
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 12:05

no probs. Hope to see you at Brands
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 12:18

Car: TT MGF #0002
Send a message via MSN to gotenks1321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim. View Post
no probs. Hope to see you at Brands
Slightly OT, but you're not at Silverstone thing month are you Tim?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 14:21

Car: na
Could be worth taking a look at a Fiat Coupe, with gentle mods and some weight reduction they go like flippin' stonk (250bhp/tonne = E92 M3 levels of quick). No MGF on the planet would even see which way it went.......
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotenks1321 View Post
Slightly OT, but you're not at Silverstone this month are you Tim?
Hi Dan
Unfortunately I can't make Silverstone Stowe. Got to work for a living occasionally
I see you're going, would have been good to meet. Last time was Oulton if I recall.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 18:27
CJJ

Car: MGTF 160, TF LE500, Nissan Leaf, KTM 990, Kangoo Van, Freelander 2.
I would say a TF 160 would be the better bet, depending on how seriously you want to take it.

The TF will have the extra power, extra stiffening and the AP brakes with 16" wheels. It also has better aerodynamics with a built in splitter and an extended boot lip.

Also the standard spring setup means you can swap out the coils and shockers for more track oriented equipment.

However, if you just want a cheap car to rag around the track then I would suggest a cheap but sound MGF.