6Likes
  • 4 Post By IanMc
  • 1 Post By ROVER-25X
  • 1 Post By Mike T

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 13-04-2017, 19:58 Thread Starter

Car: MG TF
When were "better" Head gaskets introduced

I'm sure this has been asked before, but my search can't find it.......sorry!

My understanding is that at some point during F/TF production, an improved Head Gasket design was introduced to deal with the problems experienced with earlier cars (we had HGF with our early MGF - our TF (2005 MY, last of line) had no such problems in first 50k miles, when we sadly parted with it.

Does anyone know at what point the "better" design of gasket was introduced into production cars?

Contemplating another venture into TF ownership, so date of build may be a factor in which car we choose, if there really was an improved gasket fitted from some point.

Thanks, and sorry for yet another head gasket post!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 13-04-2017, 20:17

Car: MG TF 135 Cool Blue (silver), 3 MGBGT's, Land Rover Defender 90
My 2005 MY TF had a head gasket failure at 43000 miles. It did have the slightly modified elastomer gasket that was supposed to be more robust, but it still failed with the elastomer detaching from the gasket in a small area. The real change was the MLS gasket, but no MG Rover built cars had those as standard. I have seen it written somewhere that cars after late 2002 had the modified gasket, but many TFs built up to the end of production have had failures. There is also the likeleyhood that any car you buy will have had the gasket changed anyway, so age is no real indicator to what the car wil.l currently have fitted. Mine has been no problem at all in the 7 years since I had the MLS gasket and strengthened oil rail fitted when teh orignal gasket failed.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 13-04-2017, 20:22

Car: MGF
I believe that the MLS (multi layer shim) type gasket was introduced some time in 2005 and a there was also a release of an N series gasket by SAIC in 2009 (I think) that incorporated a stronger oil rail that was supposed to be the 'ultimate' fix that could also be used on K series engines.

To the best of my knowledge, anyways..........

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 13-04-2017, 20:52

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Devon View Post
......My understanding is that at some point during F/TF production, an improved Head Gasket design was introduced to deal with the problems experienced with earlier cars
There were various revisions made to the elastomer beading of the SLS/elastomer head gasket over the production lifetime of the K series engine, none of which appeared to make any measurable difference to the incidence of HGF.

MG Rover engineers were working on a completely new multi layer steel head gasket (MLS) when MG Rover went bust, and work on finalising it and bringing it to the market was carried out under the direction of the administrators of MG Rover in responce to demands from Land Rover, and I believe funded by them. This MLS gasket was first introduced as a replacement part through Land Rover dealers in early 2006, and it became available through XPart as a genuine MG Rover part shortly afterwards. However, whilst certainly a big improvement, they are not a 100% resolution to the problems.

SAIC also developed a new multi layer gasket for their reverse engineered and improved versions of the K series engine which was used in the MG6 and Roewe 750. The same gasket was also used in the China produced MG3SW and MG7, as well as the China manufactured TF.

Obviously, neither of these MLS gaskets was ever fitted originally to an MG Rover car, but many that have suffered HGF have had the Rover/Land Rover MLS fitted during the repair, and some have had the SAIC six-layer MLS fitted.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 13-04-2017, 21:10

Car: MG TF
Currently a lot of people is selling Head Gaskets for K engine, claiming for equivalent to genuine.
I think this is the best doc I've ever seen, it's from DMGRS
https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/pages/choosi...ead-gasket-kit

Very interesting the details concerning the liner protruding versus the type of gasket.

I fitted the first N type gasket (kit ZUA000530) delivered to Italy at beginning of 2010.

In the past I started a 3D searching for field feedback for N type gasket, nobody answered. Does it really performs better, failure free.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 15-04-2017, 04:47
Stuck in the 80's...

Car: Flame Red '95 MGF, 17 Mini Cooper S, 13 VX Astra, 15 VX Corsa & 59 Fiesta.
In my personal view, there is no such thing as better or worse Head Gasket types/designs.

However, there most definitely is:

- better owners who maintain their cars more 'carefully'
- better owners who understand these cars are their 'tendencies'
- better owners who do not ignore persistent coolant loss and other faults with the coolant system.
- better owners who listen to help, advice and the experience of others with superior knowledge in regards to selection of the most suitable HG type when things might have already gone wrong.

That's just MY tuppence.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For .org forum only search results in Google, add "site:mg-rover.org" after your search criteria

Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 15-04-2017, 13:40

Car: 25X, 25 1.6, 25 2.0D Rep:■■■■■■■■■■
Your just a fastidious and meticulous old man though lol.

I seem to remember in 2005 Land Rover was on WatchDog about the HGF
issue on the 1.8 Freelander and came up with an 'MLS' fix, my waterpump
ans consequently HG failed in 2006 but 50/50 if I got the MLS from my
main MG-ROVER dealer under warranty, will be stripping the engine soon
so will find out !
IanMc likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 21-04-2017, 11:11

Car: MGF
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricei View Post
My 2005 MY TF had a head gasket failure at 43000 miles. It did have the slightly modified elastomer gasket that was supposed to be more robust, but it still failed with the elastomer detaching from the gasket in a small area. The real change was the MLS gasket, but no MG Rover built cars had those as standard. I have seen it written somewhere that cars after late 2002 had the modified gasket, but many TFs built up to the end of production have had failures. There is also the likeleyhood that any car you buy will have had the gasket changed anyway, so age is no real indicator to what the car wil.l currently have fitted. Mine has been no problem at all in the 7 years since I had the MLS gasket and strengthened oil rail fitted when teh orignal gasket failed.
I second that got multi-layer and uprated oil rail in 2010 no problems since no coolant loss very rarely just an egg cup of coolant to replace
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 22-04-2017, 10:10

Location: Originally from Bath UK, now Meggen, Lucerne Switzerland
Car: MGF VVC and Audi A6 3.0 ltr Quattro Avant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobby View Post
I second that got multi-layer and uprated oil rail in 2010 no problems since no coolant loss very rarely just an egg cup of coolant to replace
An uprated oil rail came with the LR kit back in May 2005. Is the Chinese uprated rail the same / different from the LR one of 2005?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 22-04-2017, 10:54

Car: Rover 75
The choice of gasket has been discussed at length and in a used engine, the liner heights have a lot to do with the choice between elastomer and MLS.
IanMc likes this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 22-04-2017, 19:32

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Foulger View Post
An uprated oil rail came with the LR kit back in May 2005. Is the Chinese uprated rail the same / different from the LR one of 2005?
Identical as far as I can tell.