Where do you find time? - MG-Rover.org Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 06:08 Thread Starter

Car: Modified death trap
Where do you find time?

That's probably the most common question I get..

Well I work 40-70 hours a week.. So ya have to MAKE time.

Up at 5 this morning.. To get 2 hours on passenger rear quarter before going to work

Drivers side is in finished paint.. This passenger rear quarter is last big panel to go into final paint..

Wings, doors, bonnet and drivers rear quarter all finished.. Boot left to do.. And both bumpers to finish.. Need an exhaust before rear bumper can be made though

Anyways.. Some 120 on the body file/plane and it's getting somewhere handy..

I know when it's finished most will walk around the car and have no idea how much work has gone into the subtle body mods.. But getting those 235x40x18s in the back has taken me probably 4-6 hours per arch to make them look OME.. The annoying 'shape' that runs around the rear arch too has gone.. So both front and rear arches match

I have some time off end of July.. Aiming for whole car finished paint.. All glass and trim on and it looking finished.. Even if its not..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 06:12

Car: MGB-K 222bhp, BRM 192bhp, MG ZS 1.6 141bhp
Good progress mate, she's getting there!
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 06:18 Thread Starter

Probably impossible to tell by eye.. But the rear of the car is now 20mm wider than a standard F/TF.. (TDC of arch)

Finished paint on drivers side

Front standard width..

But the car is longer than standard at the front with the front bumper.. And for some reason looks longer than a stock car with the boot lid spoiler.. Perhaps the extra vents make it look longer too?

So glad Andy Willdig talked me into swapping the mirrors.. Genuine BMW M3 mirrors.. Never again though.. Took about 10 hours per mirror before I was happy with them

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 06:19

Car: BCAWW - Sunspot Yellow TF, Monty - Typhoon 160 TF - Fizz 160 TF - white with purple leather interior
Send a message via MSN to Pendle Lass
I'm finding time by not attending as many runs/meets

So will be glad when it's done and can get back to doing the fun stuff

All I can say is get a move on Allan so we can get some photos done at MG Live
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 06:23 Thread Starter

Lol I wish mine was at Live this year..

Everything I touch seems to be uber expensive.. Or ultra hard to sort a solution

Exhaust for example.. Thought it was being made on 19th.. So I can get rear bumper mocked up and built.. Now it's back to finding someone.. Gotta ring a guy this morning though who says 'no problem'

Not putting original clocks in (don't like em) so found a solution.. and even that's not as straight forward as I hoped.. Lol

Wiring guy is back up mine weekend to carry in with the new loom.. He refuses to 'cut and splice' so the car is retaining around 80% of the factory loom.. Then new look made up for the extras.. Then test fit.. Add more.. Adjust.. Test fit.. Then tape and fit.. Hopefully..

Once the wiring is done I can fire it.. Or cry if it don't work

Last edited by Dieseldestroyer; 10-06-2014 at 06:24. Reason: Typo as usual
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 06:28 Thread Starter

Can see my mates point in regard to wiring..

He used to build sound off cars and is thatcham approved.. He don't cut corners.. Unlike the 'expert' who worked on Sergi's car..

This is Sergi's window motor.. No idea why plug was cut off.. And 're-fitted'

Think its safe to say the 'expert' doesn't know how solder works

post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 06:30

Car: BCAWW - Sunspot Yellow TF, Monty - Typhoon 160 TF - Fizz 160 TF - white with purple leather interior
Send a message via MSN to Pendle Lass
Shocking

but yours will be amazing when it's finished

I love with yours how driven you are and there is no compromise
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 06:47 Thread Starter

I did my apprenticeship (donestic heating) under a guy who's attitude to everything was 'perfection is only just good enough'..

Would rip out stuff I'd done if it wasn't to the right standard.. Then I worked Saturdays (for free) with a guy who did body work.. He always said 'if the customer wants imperfections they'll buy a new car'.. Meaning finished standards are low.. Especially in paint..

So now I strive to make every detail as good as I can get them.. Not perfect cos nothing ever is... But so that I'm happy with it..

This is why I couldn't do it for a living.. Takes too long.. Imagine 20 hours to supply and fit M3 mirrors to an f/TF.. Crazy.. But they do look OME now.. No rubber outside (one of my pet hates on a white car)

Last edited by Dieseldestroyer; 10-06-2014 at 06:47. Reason: I must proof read before posting
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 08:32

Car: MG ZT-T
You know your rear bumper air diffuser doo dah thingy underneath roughly were the Eggo lives/will live.

How much clearance have you got from your wheel? looks close on the pics but may be misleading.
Your wheel isnt going to foul on it if your on a bouncy road or throwing it around a track for instance ? I'm sure you have checked but wouldnt want you spoiling your nice new tyres.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 08:48

Car: MGTF 160 And Mercedes SLK
Possibly a stupid question, but here goes. Will she be a Coupe when finished
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 08:51 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbateson View Post
You know your rear bumper air diffuser doo dah thingy underneath roughly were the Eggo lives/will live.

How much clearance have you got from your wheel? looks close on the pics but may be misleading.
Your wheel isnt going to foul on it if your on a bouncy road or throwing it around a track for instance ? I'm sure you have checked but wouldnt want you spoiling your nice new tyres.
Good question Paul..

Sat on the floor theres about 1/2" clearance.. up in the air on full droop the tyres just rub.. you cant see the markings on the photo but the rear diffuser is getting cut/welded etc... so its far from how it will actually be when finished

The diffuser is getting cut around the tyres.. and the rear section (below number plate) is due to be cut too..

Its all in my head lol
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 08:53 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitwell.Mike View Post
Possibly a stupid question, but here goes. Will she be a Coupe when finished
The hard top is being modded to reduce the shut lines around the back to under 2mm (aim anyway) so that from 10ft it looks like a coupe..

But chances are if I pull off the 'pod' idea the hard top will rarely go on.. may even sell it..

I love the roof scoop and am getting the hard top painted and trimmed in leather.. so it may stay.. undecided..

As I have air con I can at least drive it in the summer with the roof on.. but Im with a lot of others on here.. roof off unless its hammering down..
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 10:40 Thread Starter

The rear diffuser is far from finished.. But before the back box and additional fins go in.. Look how much room there is.. Wow!

The diffuser is currently being forced down (hence the bow in it) at the outer edges.. But this will be sorted.. Once the exhaust is built.. I can get the other fins cut and mounting positions marked.. Then it's back to concept racing for welding.. Then paint it black and fit..

As the diffuser is 3mm aluminium it's also acting as the boot heat shield..
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 11:06

Car: 143 vvc Mk1
I only have building time when I am in Scotland, so I try to limit my calculation, simulation and purchasing time to when I am away or traveling, so that I can maximize my tool time.
I make a lot of use of Virtual Machines with remote desktops so number crunching can take place while I move about, but now the US and transatlantic market has opened up for in-flight internet I can pop in and out of some things that are running. I just need the Europe-Japan flights to offer a service now.
It's more project management than car modifying sometimes.

Why is there a boss in the exhaust pipe after the Cat before the bend to the back box? Pressure measurement? 2nd O2 sensor?
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 11:18

Car: TF160 + Freelander
I still think you should've gone for a modern take on adjustable suspension like the old Citroen GSA had
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 11:27

Car: Audi TT 225 Quatrro
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoctagon View Post
I only have building time when I am in Scotland, so I try to limit my calculation, simulation and purchasing time to when I am away or traveling, so that I can maximize my tool time.
I make a lot of use of Virtual Machines with remote desktops so number crunching can take place while I move about, but now the US and transatlantic market has opened up for in-flight internet I can pop in and out of some things that are running. I just need the Europe-Japan flights to offer a service now.
It's more project management than car modifying sometimes.

Why is there a boss in the exhaust pipe after the Cat before the bend to the back box? Pressure measurement? 2nd O2 sensor?
Post cat 02 sensor, I believe they all have them don't they these days? Ive come across a modern motor with 3!!!

Is it needed for the aftermarket ECU Allan?

Im finding 0 time at the moment. The F/TF project is a way away yet but ive begun purchasing some parts I know im going to need from the profits I made by stripping the two cars.
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 12:04 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoctagon View Post

Its a brand new 200 Cell Janspeed sports CAT.. its how they come.. ??

No idea if it'll get used yet.. doubt it
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 17:56 Thread Starter

Rear diffuser looks huge here..

You can see the lines here Paul where it'll get trimmed back following the line of the tyre

post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 19:06

Car: MG3 Style, previously ZS180 Saloon in XPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldestroyer View Post
I have some time off end of July.. Aiming for whole car finished paint.. All glass and trim on and it looking finished.. Even if its not..
Pass it on to those guys on 'Classic Car Rescue'. They would have all the remaining work done and dusted in about three hours flat.

Yeah right.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 19:43 Thread Starter

Diffuser trimmed.. No clearance issues now..

And bow sorted out..

p

Bit more work on rear panel.. Although it probably looks no different in pics..