Why is it that MGF have such a bad rep for reliability? - Page 4 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #61 of 70 (permalink) Old 21-11-2016, 17:34
Woof Woof

Car: TF160 Disco 3.9 XR4i 4trak Yamaha XV535
I think a lot of problems were down to poor quality control and materials during the build. I have read somewhere that some cars HGs failed as they were being delivered from the factory to the dealer. Ok, so the cars are now getting on a bit so you must expect issues,but things like the metal engine coolant rail shouldn't rot though given it's position near the top of the engine.

I have a 30 yo Ford and the metal coolant pipe located low at the front is still good. Make of that what you will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 (permalink) Old 21-11-2016, 18:20

Car: Rover 620ti, 2x 1996 MGF, 4x MG TF, Mazda Bongo, 2x 1999 MGF, 1972 Ford Cortina Mk3 Citroen Picasso
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkingdog View Post
Ok, so the cars are now getting on a bit so you must expect issues,but things like the metal engine coolant rail shouldn't rot though given it's position near the top of the engine.
Have to agree with build quality and parts quality especially the engine coolant rail which I had to replace a few months back on a 2003 TF!! my 1996 F had a lot of rust flaking paint on the front to back pipes, but when I changed them for stainless the pipes themselves, although looking bad were in quite good condition
post #63 of 70 (permalink) Old 21-11-2016, 19:37

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkingdog View Post
.......but things like the metal engine coolant rail shouldn't rot though given it's position near the top of the engine.

I have a 30 yo Ford and the metal coolant pipe located low at the front is still good. Make of that what you will.
It is often the case that internal corrosion of the coolant rail is associated with corrosion of other steel components in the coolant system such as the water pump impeller - a pretty sure fire indication that the system has been run with neat water (or a very weak antifreeze/coolant solution - it is surprising how many garages think that a 20% solution is sufficient ). A big part of the antifreeze/coolant function is to prevent corrosion.

I've had four cars with K series engines, three of them to around ten years old/100k+ miles, and none has needed the rail replacing (two of the I had from less than 18 months old, so can be fairly confident it hadn't already been replaced prior to my ownership). It isn't always down to poor quality materials

post #64 of 70 (permalink) Old 22-11-2016, 05:08
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
It is often the case that internal corrosion of the coolant rail is associated with corrosion of other steel components in the coolant system such as the water pump impeller - a pretty sure fire indication that the system has been run with neat water (or a very weak antifreeze/coolant solution - it is surprising how many garages think that a 20% solution is sufficient ). A big part of the antifreeze/coolant function is to prevent corrosion.

I've had four cars with K series engines, three of them to around ten years old/100k+ miles, and none has needed the rail replacing (two of the I had from less than 18 months old, so can be fairly confident it hadn't already been replaced prior to my ownership). It isn't always down to poor quality materials
+1 to that. My cars are now 21 and 19 years old but I never needed to change any coolant rail. I know I live in car friendly environment but nevertheless pipes are filled with 50:50 mix all year round and I never used tap water, but demineralized bottled water.
post #65 of 70 (permalink) Old 22-11-2016, 08:49

Car: 04 75 CDTi 130k, R45 1.6, 90k miles, 54 plate. MGF VVC, 96k miles, '96. 02 plate Peugeot 206, 67k
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylad View Post
Me too,had it November and so far
Slave cylinder
Clutch master cylinder
Water pump
And then this morning split water pipe to engine,right at the top,loads of steam,panic at first fear the worst but was split close to clip so just cut an inch off and fill it back up,having to remove engine cover is a real pain in the ass,thought it was ,another day lost at work,that's 4 now,m3 I had two years no probs,impreza 5 years,no brake downs.
Well, as the thread has been resurrected again..
Jaylad, if you're still out there, C394MGF is still going strong! Passed MoT last Friday. Second year in a row it's needed some sill welding (I might replace them completely next year if I can be arsed to start welding again - and get all new kit), and it failed 2 years out of 3 on emissions. Apart from that it's had a new flexi-pipe and I think that's it. Mechanically it's been rock solid.

The year it didn't fail on emissions I'd run a tank full of Shell V-Max through it immediately prior to the test. Not a scientific test, I know, just sayin'!
post #66 of 70 (permalink) Old 23-11-2016, 14:24

Car: 25, 75, MG ZR and MG TF
Hi all,

Got my TF new in 2004, the ONLY thing ever to go wrong was the head gasket in 2010. NOTHING else has failed and it's the same story with my 2004 ZR 120 bought the same time as the TF, only head gasket has failed, strangly in 2010 as well.

I'm happy and plan on keeping them both.

Pete.
post #67 of 70 (permalink) Old 23-11-2016, 17:06

Car: MGF VVC MK2
Ok, this morning I've sealed a leak from the new snorkel I've fitted 1,5 years ago, and was filling the carpet of water.

So I've tought about this thread and why the poor reliability widespread feeling.

Explanation

To the average Joe driver, that he get an HGF or the carpet full of water, is perceived as a generic, painful, dispicable "fail".
This guy just want a nice (cheap) car that run around.

And how many trivial things go wrong with our pride and joy, where the average Joe MG enthisiast will rejoice, since it is an opportunity to improve (not to fix)?

So, in general:
the germans could fail bigger and lauder, even more pricy, but probably fail less on trivial stuff.
post #68 of 70 (permalink) Old 23-11-2016, 18:55

Car: Rover 620ti, 2x 1996 MGF, 4x MG TF, Mazda Bongo, 2x 1999 MGF, 1972 Ford Cortina Mk3 Citroen Picasso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverlike View Post
+1 to that. My cars are now 21 and 19 years old but I never needed to change any coolant rail. I know I live in car friendly environment but nevertheless pipes are filled with 50:50 mix all year round and I never used tap water, but demineralized bottled water.

Well I can't comment on the history of the TF I had to change the engine coolant pipes on as it didn't come with one when I bought it, however; it has been looked after and had at sometime new stainless underfloor pipes, the reason unknown. when the pipe went, there was a good mix of anti-freeze present, never tested amount but was very very pinky red. Could be someone prior had run it on just water, I'll never know?
post #69 of 70 (permalink) Old 25-11-2016, 07:44

Car: 98 MGF 1.8, 07 Rav4 2.0 vvti
My MGF is 18 years old, and I've owned it for the last 13 years. I've had two head gasket failures (2005 + 2009) and one clutch replacement, but no other major work.

When I bought the car, the closest I'd come to doing mechanics was replacing a stereo, I've since learnt how to change brake pads and disks, service a car, replace suspension components, replace radiators, adjust the gear cable (and rebuild the selector assembly!).

My last few MOTs have flown by with minor issues - this year was a spot of welding in the sills which set me back 50. I still drive it daily
Chris T likes this.
post #70 of 70 (permalink) Old 25-11-2016, 12:03

Car: MGF VVC MK2
Just today I've changed the rear number plate lamp holders... the screws head littlerally disintegrated

Add to this previous garages went length to make of the holders a mess, and here you go.