wind noise - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 22:40 Thread Starter

Car: Planes Trains and Automobiles
Send a message via MSN to clockworx
wind noise

.. not from me, from my TF

I'm sure it wasn't this bad in the 115 I had but that was a good 4 or 5 years ago so maybe I forgot.. How bad is yours, and how do you minimize it? Was thinking perhaps a bit of rubber to seal between the roof/windscreen frame, or adjusting the roof for a better fit? The roof is quite tight to close also.. it's pretty bad when you get up to 70, making journeys uncomfortably loud

any ideas??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 23:00

Car: MG TF 160 (Blackbird)
Its all about soundwave resonance, there'll be a spot at about 130mph where the wind noise dies off.......
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 23:06

Car: MGF (1997, Tahiti Blue)
Drop your top and you won't care about the wind noise

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 23:14
JAT
Banned

Car: MGF 1.8VVC Freelander 1.8 SE
Get a TT and you won't hear the wind noise ...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 00:26

Car: MGF 1.8MPi
Send a message via Skype™ to jordimussol
I seem to get wind noise from the side, just behind the door. Not from the top of A pillar or windows (even though there's a small gap, but water doesn't enter).

I'll let you know when I cover the 1700kms from Barcelona to London and if I've gone nuts. Maybe use some gaffer tape to do a 'proper' seal.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 08:45

Car: MG TF 2003
Hi I had the same problem when i first got my tf, found the doors were not closing 'snug' enough to seal properly - quite a draft from behind when you put your hand behind the seat. Adjustment of door latches curred this and cut down the wind noise by a good 50%. Other than that it's part and parcel...
mike
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 09:26

Car: MGF VVC 75th Anniversary LE
I think it is all in the fitting/seals.

When I had my 8 year old oem hood replaced by a new BAS one I was amazed at the diffrence/reducation in wind noise.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 20:01 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlySimon View Post
Drop your top and you won't care about the wind noise
good shout, doesnt stop the mrs whinging at the night got the top down for the first time in a while, reminded me why I love the thing that said

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
Get a TT and you won't hear the wind noise ...
soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordimussol View Post
I seem to get wind noise from the side, just behind the door. Not from the top of A pillar or windows (even though there's a small gap, but water doesn't enter).

I'll let you know when I cover the 1700kms from Barcelona to London and if I've gone nuts. Maybe use some gaffer tape to do a 'proper' seal.
yeah I think I get a bit of noise from there too I think - teeny gap beghind the headrests too -
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike moonrakers View Post
Hi I had the same problem when i first got my tf, found the doors were not closing 'snug' enough to seal properly - quite a draft from behind when you put your hand behind the seat. Adjustment of door latches curred this and cut down the wind noise by a good 50%. Other than that it's part and parcel...
mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bromsgrove man View Post
I think it is all in the fitting/seals.

When I had my 8 year old oem hood replaced by a new BAS one I was amazed at the diffrence/reducation in wind noise.
think you might be right there; I wonder if playing with the adjusters by the hinges will do the trick
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 15:48

Car: Quantum 2+2, Mercedes SLK, MG TF 135, Ford Mondeo Estate, Suzuki Alto
Drop your top AND get a TT. You will then be deaf and your ears will have dropped off with the frostbite anyway!

I travel 250+ miles per week mainly on Motorway and have no great issue with wind noise. However, Mrs. Northend's is noisy but that is because the hood sits less securely on the window glass. It just needs adjustment. Maybe try this?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 15:54

Car: MGF
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordimussol View Post

I think you having the same problem i had on my F, the small gap where the roof is supposed to meet the rear Q/panel?

If so, i managed to fix this a few weeks ago by adjusting the two ball jointed struts which attach the roof just behind your head on the parcel shelf.

They are held into their sockets with two C clips (can email you a few photos if you want) once you've popped these -rather fiddly- clips out, remove the struts and tighten them down with a couple of spanners. They are fairly stiff and i did scrape the paint on them a bit so you may want to respray them after... i couldnt be bothered though.

refit in reverse.

hope this helps.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 12:20 Thread Starter

ah I solved the problem I was having!

Basically it was the catches not closing the roof firmly enough. remidied by popping out the wire bits that lock the golden hex shaped long adjustor, few turns, and it tightens the catch. close it and it locks tight!!

Now it's so rediculously quiet, can have a normal volume conversation, and it's as quiet as the 200 bubble I had not too long ago
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 12:24

Car: MX5 NC Icon Winning Blue, Rover 25 IXL BRG
Great news

Just to add another tip, Mungo was fairly whistly with the top down when we first got him - it was the wind whipping over the top of the windscreen. This went away almost entirely once we fitted sun visors.

Yes, they may be utterly useless flappy bits, but they're good for at least something
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 12:30 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrproudfoot View Post
Great news

Just to add another tip, Mungo was fairly whistly with the top down when we first got him - it was the wind whipping over the top of the windscreen. This went away almost entirely once we fitted sun visors.

Yes, they may be utterly useless flappy bits, but they're good for at least something
ah wouldn't have thought of that, well worth knowing!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 13:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAW View Post
ah I solved the problem I was having!

Basically it was the catches not closing the roof firmly enough. remidied by popping out the wire bits that lock the golden hex shaped long adjustor, few turns, and it tightens the catch. close it and it locks tight!!

Now it's so rediculously quiet, can have a normal volume conversation, and it's as quiet as the 200 bubble I had not too long ago

Aaah, yep had that problem too. I seem to have to keep re-tightening my catches every few weeks now...
Must be all that
"ooh! it's sunny, roof down"
"Noo cloud! roof back up" i have to repeat daily.

Spring in the uk - deadly to MG roofs.