Wing mirror confusion - MG-Rover.org Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By steviejones133
  • 1 Post By batoutofhull
  • 1 Post By Craigie TF
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 13:56 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Garstang
Car: MG ZT-T
Posts: 4,442
Wing mirror confusion

Ello peeps,
I am hoping there is a clever person in the house.
I am having a clear out and want to sell some left over bits on Eblag.
Amongst my left over hoardings is a TF electric wing mirror, trouble is I have no idea what side its for? is there a way of telling? is there a marking/part identifier?

Also you know those rubbery thingys you get at the top opening end of a a TF door (some sort of finisher) are the for F's as well?

And finally I have a door lock and handle for a TF but once again I have no idea what side this is for.

Any help would be great.
Masterbateson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 20:13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
Posts: 5,738
I think all UK cars only had a lock on the drivers side.
Talkingcars is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 08:21
Supporter
 
Craigie TF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Car: MGTF Cool Blue S.E. (LE500 Black Spec) Mercedes 230 SLK, Volvo C70 Cabrio
Posts: 4,536
On the end of the mirror by the cables, it will either say RH or LH. (some might have this on a little white sticker)

Yes the rubber bits fit F/TF.

Cars without CL had locks on both side, however these are black and not colour coded. If the lock hole is on the left its a drivers side or on the right its a passenger side.

Hope this helps!
Craigie TF is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 14:45
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Wrexham, North Wales
Car: MGF
Posts: 1,107
Another thing to denote siding is the actual part number, if still visible. It will be on one of the screw posts that goes through the cheater. Generally, they look something like this:

CRB110***xxx

*** = three numbers, usually 160, 180 or 200. This indicates type of mirror (flat or convex) and which side. For example, 160 is a RH mirror fitted with convex glass. 180 is LH with convex, 200 is flat glass and no handing applies to those because it doesn't alter the image if put on the wrong side as it's a flat reflection. The whole flat/convex thing is something to do with driving laws in the UK vs. other places and how reflections should be perceived when viewing the side mirrors. I don't think flat mirrors would pass a UK MOT as we should use convex glass - apparently.

xxx = just the colour paint code for your car.

I only know this as I went through a load of hassle trying to upgrade my plastic manual mirrors to colour coded electric ones.

Same goes with the door locks and handles. As mentioned, the only passenger handle to have a keyhole is cars without CL like my base 1.6 MY2000 F. When I upgraded my handles, the passenger side came with the key blanked off. My original plain black passenger handle had a factory hole so that the door could be unlocked with a key as I don't have central locking.....yet! - anyway, the lock barrel still sits behind it though.

Last edited by steviejones133; 11-01-2017 at 14:52.
steviejones133 is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 21:36
Supporter
 
batoutofhull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bristol + East Yorks + France
Car: MGTF 364 days a year. L200 for 1 day of snow.
Posts: 575
Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviejones133 View Post
Another thing to denote siding is the actual part number, if still visible. It will be on one of the screw posts that goes through the cheater. Generally, they look something like this:

CRB110***xxx

*** = three numbers, usually 160, 180 or 200. This indicates type of mirror (flat or convex) and which side. For example, 160 is a RH mirror fitted with convex glass. 180 is LH with convex, 200 is flat glass and no handing applies to those because it doesn't alter the image if put on the wrong side as it's a flat reflection. The whole flat/convex thing is something to do with driving laws in the UK vs. other places and how reflections should be perceived when viewing the side mirrors. I don't think flat mirrors would pass a UK MOT as we should use convex glass - apparently.

xxx = just the colour paint code for your car.

I only know this as I went through a load of hassle trying to upgrade my plastic manual mirrors to colour coded electric ones.

Same goes with the door locks and handles. As mentioned, the only passenger handle to have a keyhole is cars without CL like my base 1.6 MY2000 F. When I upgraded my handles, the passenger side came with the key blanked off. My original plain black passenger handle had a factory hole so that the door could be unlocked with a key as I don't have central locking.....yet! - anyway, the lock barrel still sits behind it though.
So Stevie, you have fitted your door handles? and left the lock barrel in place?
I have not got around to putting mine on yet. I was not after central locking - I always wanted key access.
I was going to use a pillar drill and fit the handle to a jig and drill out the blanking plate. Then using a 45 degree router bit finish it with that in the centre lathe, on a slow speed.
Do you think this is viable?

Regarding the mirrors. Door card off. Plug it in. Hold it in you hand. using the joy stick up or down you will see which side it goes on. If a rh it will not go up far but down a lot. If it goes up a lot it's lh. My second hand ones were really marked and I did not see codes/labels etc.

Last edited by batoutofhull; 11-01-2017 at 21:41.
batoutofhull is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 22:41
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Wrexham, North Wales
Car: MGF
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by batoutofhull View Post
So Stevie, you have fitted your door handles? and left the lock barrel in place?
I have not got around to putting mine on yet. I was not after central locking - I always wanted key access.
I was going to use a pillar drill and fit the handle to a jig and drill out the blanking plate. Then using a 45 degree router bit finish it with that in the centre lathe, on a slow speed.
Do you think this is viable?

Regarding the mirrors. Door card off. Plug it in. Hold it in you hand. using the joy stick up or down you will see which side it goes on. If a rh it will not go up far but down a lot. If it goes up a lot it's lh. My second hand ones were really marked and I did not see codes/labels etc.
Yeah, I have since fitted colour coded door handles (and left the passenger door lock barrel in place behind the new blank of the colour coded handle) and upgraded my manual heated plain plastic mirrors to colour coded full electric mirrors by obtaining a loom and switch from a donor scrapyard car. I guess one of my planned upgrades could now be central locking!

I think your proposal to drill out is completely viable. I had thought of doing that with my colour coded handles but decided against it for fear of ruining the paint job - especially as my reason for upgrading the handles was to colour code them. As long as you can keep the handle still, I'd imagine it'd be fine.

Here's my upgrades: Manual to electric/heated door mirrors possible?

If you wanted, I have my old passenger handle with the hole already in. You are more than welcome to have it but it would require painting which might be more hassle than simply drilling the blank out.

Let me know if you want it
batoutofhull likes this.
steviejones133 is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 10:00
Supporter
 
batoutofhull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bristol + East Yorks + France
Car: MGTF 364 days a year. L200 for 1 day of snow.
Posts: 575
Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviejones133 View Post

If you wanted, I have my old passenger handle with the hole already in. You are more than welcome to have it but it would require painting which might be more hassle than simply drilling the blank out.

Let me know if you want it
Stevie - that is a really, really nice gesture. Thank you for the offer.
However I still have my own left hand side door handle with the keyhole in place too. I am keeping all my 1.6 parts in case I need to turn the car back in to it's original state.
That is what is on the mg now.

I did not fit the green replacement handles as yet, because I am unsure about a door that won't lock from outside passing the MOT. Have you had yours go through the MOT since you fitted your new handles?

I have seen a left door locking mechanism from a LHD car. I could then use the key and remote with this as it has the correct linkages.

By the way your mg looks the biz. Smashing photos.
You put me to shame - I should really get out and take some of mine.
steviejones133 likes this.
batoutofhull is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 10:26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
Posts: 5,738
I don't think they check locking during the MOT, just door opening.
Talkingcars is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 10:58
Supporter
 
batoutofhull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bristol + East Yorks + France
Car: MGTF 364 days a year. L200 for 1 day of snow.
Posts: 575
Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkingcars View Post
I don't think they check locking during the MOT, just door opening.
If that is the case that would be great. Thanks. Suppose I could go out in the snow today and .......
Er no I'll fit the handles on a better day me thinks.
batoutofhull is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 11:05 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Garstang
Car: MG ZT-T
Posts: 4,442
Thanks for the replies Guys :urgod: and my apologies for my late reply.

unfortunately The white label that you see on the Mirror posts, which presumably at one point had part number etc, has all perished/rubbed off so you cant see anything,

Im pretty sure now its a passenger side mirror, but to be honest they do look like you could just turn them upside down and fit on either side of the car.
Be interesting if anyone has a car stripped down could try that trick?

By the way I had described my other ponderings wrongly. when I said I had a lock but didnt know which side I meant the Lock/latch mechanism that has a solenoid for automatic locking etc Bit.
Not the Key/lock on the drivers door handle.
Pretty sure this latch mech and interior door open'y pull/handle is also prob passenger side.

Hope thats not to confusing/makes some sense.
Masterbateson is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 18:57
Supporter
 
Craigie TF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Car: MGTF Cool Blue S.E. (LE500 Black Spec) Mercedes 230 SLK, Volvo C70 Cabrio
Posts: 4,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbateson View Post
but to be honest they do look like you could just turn them upside down and fit on either side of the car.
They would fit yes, but the angle of the glass would be all wrong making them useless!
steviejones133 likes this.
Craigie TF is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 20:24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Wrexham, North Wales
Car: MGF
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by batoutofhull View Post
Stevie - that is a really, really nice gesture. Thank you for the offer.
However I still have my own left hand side door handle with the keyhole in place too. I am keeping all my 1.6 parts in case I need to turn the car back in to it's original state.
That is what is on the mg now.

I did not fit the green replacement handles as yet, because I am unsure about a door that won't lock from outside passing the MOT. Have you had yours go through the MOT since you fitted your new handles?

I have seen a left door locking mechanism from a LHD car. I could then use the key and remote with this as it has the correct linkages.

By the way your mg looks the biz. Smashing photos.
You put me to shame - I should really get out and take some of mine.
Not had mine MOT'd since changing - will be interesting to see what happens with that come April time for me. Oh, and thanks for the compliment on my F - I do my very best to keep her looking as good as she can. I stumped up around 200 for a dual action machine polisher & compounds and can highly recommend getting one to bring out the best in your paintwork quite safely - they remove swirling as scratches very well to leave a nice finish without too much ado. Sure, it takes some time and now is not the best time of year to be doing it, but come spring, I'll be out there buffering away again no doubt.

Anyway, I digress from the topic in hand too much!
steviejones133 is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MG-Rover.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wing mirror mumsy MG / Rover Related Chat - up to 2005 1 22-01-2012 13:28
wing mirror xpurt MGF and MGTF (Sponsored by MGFnTFBITZ) 12 17-01-2010 09:05
Mirror Mirror mirror Driver Side Wing Mirror R25s Broken spark_olo MG ZR / Rover 25, 200 & Streetwise 10 28-01-2008 12:27
wing mirror silverhead New XPart Online Shop Questions 4 15-01-2008 17:36
Help - remove mirror glass on R25 wing mirror cjwburley MG ZR / Rover 25, 200 & Streetwise 2 03-03-2006 15:57

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome