Hyundai launches lowest CO2 emitting diesel car yet - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 23:19 Thread Starter
Ian

Car: Rover 75 2.0 CDTi Connoisseur Auto, Ford Mondeo, Citroen C5 Tourer, Volvo V60 and Kia Sorento
Hyundai launches lowest CO2 emitting diesel car yet

Quote:
Hyundai launches lowest CO2 emitting diesel car yet

Hyundai has released the first image of the All New i20, ahead of its world premiere at the 2012 Geneva Motor Show.

The new model features refreshed styling, enhanced equipment and the lowest CO2 emissions of any conventional powertrain car on sale today.Among the four powertrain options available to buyers of the All New i20 will be the new 1.1-litre, 3-cylinder ‘U-II’ diesel engine that generates 74bhp. When mated to Hyundai’s Blue Drive technologies, this derivative emits just 84g/km of CO2 – a figure lower than any other car with a conventional powertrain. The engine was developed at Hyundai’s Diesel Centre of Excellence – part of the European R&D set-up in Rüsselsheim, Germany – and showcases Hyundai’s expertise in clean diesel technology. This ground-breaking new engine will be offered alongside another sub-100 g/km diesel. When combined with Blue Drive technologies, the upgraded 1.4-litre ‘U-II’ 89bhp engine emits 96g/km.

The debut of the All New i20 sees the introduction of fluidic sculpture form language to Hyundai’s supermini. The revised exterior design carries the hallmarks of Hyundai styling, including the company’s signature hexagonal grille and new headlamp units. Updating their own design from the original i20, the stylists at Hyundai’s European design studio have further modernised the All New i20 with a more contemporary profile for the front and rear bumpers, a new sculpted bonnet and new wheel designs.

In terms of dimensions, the width (1710 mm), height (1490 mm) and wheelbase (2525 mm) of All New i20 remain the same, while the length has increased by just 55 mm (front 30 mm, rear 25 mm) over its predecessor to 3995 mm.

Allan Rushforth, Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of Hyundai Motor Europe commented, “The i20 has been very popular with European buyers since it came to market in 2009, thanks to its combination of efficiency, quality, practicality and value. With an enhanced engine line-up that includes the lowest CO2 emissions for a conventional powertrain, and sharper styling influenced by fluidic sculpture, the All New i20 will appeal to a broader range of buyers, including younger consumers. The assurance of our industry-best, comprehensive Five Year Triple Care package makes the All New i20 an even more attractive proposition.”
SOURCE: DieselCarOnline

See here for photos: http://www.dieselcaronline.co.uk/new...iesel-car-yet/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 07:11
Supporter

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich

Looks good after the facelift and adds a bit of interest to what was a very bland car. Shame they're going down the Audi 'one-face-fits-all' line though.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 20:20

Car: CityRover
CO2 levels are certainly impressive and its not a bad looking little thing.

Slightly off topic, but why do makers now insist on calling facelifted cars "all new" when they clearly arent.......

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 20:34

Car: -
You might as well skip the 1.1 and go straight for the 1.4 as it's still free road tax.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 20:37

Car: Other Manufacturer
84! That's bloody awesome tech.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 20:48

Car: CityRover
Will these new diesel engines appear in the Kia Rio as well Ian?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 15-03-2012, 15:09

Car: MG ZT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverman View Post
You might as well skip the 1.1 and go straight for the 1.4 as it's still free road tax.
For now. I'm positive that the tax free threshold will have dropped well before the end of service life of this generation of cars.

Still, basing a new car purchasing (£6k+) decision on the tax (£0-400/year) seems like a completely false economy.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 15-03-2012, 15:34

Car: 07 Saab 9-3 estate TiD, 08 Focus St-2 (asbo orange ftw)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herzlos View Post
For now. I'm positive that the tax free threshold will have dropped well before the end of service life of this generation of cars.

Still, basing a new car purchasing (£6k+) decision on the tax (£0-400/year) seems like a completely false economy.
Imagain the fleet market though?

and how long do people keep new cars now. The last report i saw said 7 years. that can soon add up to a fair whack of the cars value.

Its why i buy pre '05 cars to get the lower tax costs. over 3-4 years it soon adds up.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 15-03-2012, 17:15 Thread Starter
Ian

Car: Rover 75 2.0 CDTi Connoisseur Auto, Ford Mondeo, Citroen C5 Tourer, Volvo V60 and Kia Sorento
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff View Post
Will these new diesel engines appear in the Kia Rio as well Ian?
They already have. The new i20 engines are the same as in the Kia Rio. Because Hyundai is the parent company, they always get to trump Kia!