Alcohol + eBay = truck - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 17:14 Thread Starter

Car: MG ZS
Alcohol + eBay = truck

I really need to stop drinking with the computer switched on....... anyways woke up the next day to find i had purchased a Vauxhall Frontera, never mind i thought, it will be a good winter vehicle whilst my ZS's rusty undercarriage gets fettled and so i went to pick it up, it was at this moment i realised there was more oil in the engine bay then there was actually in the engine, accompanied by a concerning knocking noise from the bottom end, either way i paid the money and drove it half way home before it boiled over and spat what i can only assume is fairy liquid foam out of the radiator overflow pipe

So for the past 4 days i have replaced the cam cover gasket to hopefully solve the oil leak, also removed the non working thermostat (stuck shut) and flushed the fairy liquid and gunky stuff out of the coolant system to hopefully solve the overheating, gave it a clean, fitted a bike rack on the roof and this is what it looks like

things still to sort include: replaced the radio cassette player with a CD player, now the clock doesnt work and the head unit loses its memory everytime you switch the ignition off, also the speakers are rattling so need to figure out whats going on there, also wouldn't mind some wheels and tyres that match and also the brakes are questionable

let this be a lesson folks, Alcohol + eBay = bad ideas!

cheers all

Roo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 19:38
Supporter

Car: Rover 25 Spirit S & Rover 75 1.8 Club Tourer
If it all goes tits up and you need to stick a new engine in it, if its a 2.2 petrol, just stick a 2.0 Vectra engine in it. 2.2s are like hens teeth to find.

You just need to swap a few things over and it goes straight in

I helped a mate do one last year.

As for the radio just swap the yellow and red wires round on the radios wiring loom. Vauxhall in their infinite wisdom swapped them round. As for the clock i have no idea, although on the wifes Vectra it gets its RDS info from the radio using the third block that you would have cut off from the standard ISO plug going into the back of the Vauxhall radio and displays it on the clock

The breaks are always questionable on Fronteras.

The best is yet to come, like when the rev counter stops working unless the lights are on.

Last edited by Landfill; 01-11-2016 at 19:47.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 20:11 Thread Starter

According to my significant other, apparently many vauxhall engines will fit including the C20XE (red top) engine, or even the B204 Saab turbo engine (that would be hilarious and oh so dangerous in a frontera) however i shall cross that bridge when it comes to it, for now, its working lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landfill View Post
As for the radio just swap the yellow and red wires round on the radios wiring loom.
that just saved me ripping the dash out and tearing my hear out with a multimeter, thanks so much! still not sure about the clock thing, but i am contemplating cutting it out and maybe getting a sat nav to put in there or some similar

ages ago i had an A series frontera and the brakes where incredable, it could lock up all 4 wheels at 60mph! these ones struggle to lock the wheels on a wet, muddy road lol and i am glad you mentioned the interesting lights and speedoi thing because it just reminded me i forgot to re-attach the engine earth strap after removing the cam cover.... whoops lol job for tomorrow!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 20:46
Supporter

Virtually any Vauxhall engine will fit in but the 2.0 Vectra one will run without having to remap or change the management system.

A red top would be wasted in a Frontera. Now in a ZR, that would be interesting
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 21:05 Thread Starter

the other half is dropping the red top turbo into a stripped out vauxhall belmont, that is interesting lol
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 14:46 Thread Starter

Right! just for giggles i installed one of those LED death rays on the front to replace the rather outdated circular ones

looks much better and is incredibly bright!

Also had to re-fit the cam cover gasket AGAIN after is was spurting oil out the back yet again

bloody vauxhalls
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 16:34
Supporter

Wait until it fills the spark plug recess up with oil. To be honest the Vectra the wife has is definitely going to scrap at the end of the month. I think the bloody thing is allergic to Motorways as every time it goes on one something goes wrong with it. ABS pump went today, so that's its final death knell i wont even be attempting to put it through another ticket.

Going to have a look at a ZT-T tomorrow and possibly an X type Jag. I wont be buying another Vauxhall again. They used to build great cars, now they are just building ****.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 21:24 Thread Starter

it already filled all the spark plug holes on the way home from buying it, tis always good fun using a screwdriver to poke down some blue roll into the recesses lol also to be fair, the gasket on my ZS went too and filled 2 of the recesses, thankfully this frontera does not have ABS, so one less thing to go wrong i suppose

sorry to hear the vectra hasn't been great, i was never a fan of them and the engines are supposed to be junk, most of the undercarriage of the frontera is isuzu based anyways so i am hoping that isn't too bad

I wouldn't really go for an x-type jag, they are the ones based on the ford mondeo and parts are surprisingly expensive, they are also renowned for dual mass flywheels going wrong though i have to agree with you on modern vauxhalls, with the exception of maybe the Adam (i kinda like those) the rest of the lineup is just rubbish
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 17:59 Thread Starter

ok! so after just over a month of ownership lets recap on the issues faced by my drunk ebay purchase

Huge oil leak from cam cover gasket: fixed
Engine overheating due to stuck thermostat: Stat replaced, issue still remaining
Huge fuel leak from corroded pipes: fixed
Ominous rattle from engine bay: ignoring
Dangerous snaking at motorway speeds traced to buggered anti roll bar links: fixed
Air bag light still illuminated from poor pre-tentioner connection: not yet fixed
Alarm sounding when locked: Just not locking it
Massive leak into drivers footwell traced to blocked sunroof drain: fixed
Broken captive nut under passenger seat runner: fixed

And now for the big one, turns out it isnt just rover products having this problem, but had it at a garage earlier today to find there are combustion gasses in the coolant, yep! the head gasket has failed, this truck is beginning to try my patience now! and my wallet!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 19:34

Car: Evolution VII RS, MK5 RS2000, Trackday MK2 ZR 160, MK2 ZS 120+
Worse thing is if you change the HG on a EcoTec its a 99% chance will knock the bottom end out and you'll need a set of piston rings
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 19:46 Thread Starter

This is why i am just going for a complete new engine, the 2.2 is renowned for been crap so this one will just get run until it expires spectacularly then the plan is to drop a saab engine in there
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 17:58

Car: CityRover
Furry, they'd love this on Autoshite. I've had to 'tinyurl' it because of the stupid swear filter on here.

https://tinyurl.com/hc8lczv

Edit- still doesn't work, just google autoshite.com

Last edited by Perry Stalsis; 06-02-2017 at 18:06.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 20:07 Thread Starter

haha i might just do that, seems a totally hillarious forum

Anyways, update, some new wheels and tyres turned up so now i have matching ones, much safer to drive now thanks to that, the snaking and wheel wobble seem to have mostly gone

The engine is still going although the K-seal seems to be failing as the coolant system is pressurising yet again, also the alarming engine tapping has turned into Massey Ferguson tractor noises, so thats on its last legs..... still
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 24-02-2017, 18:55

I quite like the colour. I had a Astra g van and it was bullet proof, drove nice and was reliable. Was on 245,000 when I sold it...

Anyway I'm enjoying your thread
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 24-02-2017, 19:10 Thread Starter

well thanks! i am glad you are enjoying it

Update for today i replaced the rear brake discs and pads as well as a caliper that had seen better days which was all a piece of cake, then came to do the fronts and my god who thought this up, here is a summary of the front vs rear brake replacement

Rear:

Undoo caliper
Undoo carrier
Remove caliper, carrier and disc

Front:

Undoo caliper
Undoo carrier
Undoo centre cap bolts (x5)
Remove circlip from driveshaft
undoo 3 screws holding the hub nut protector plate in
Remove the hub nut with a hammer and swearing
Remove disc and hub assembly
Undoo hub bolts
Remove hub from disc with a hammer and some more swearing

Honest to god it would be easier to dismantle the space shuttle, better yet after having done all that in the poaring rain yesterday i came to refit the new ones only to realise they sent the wrong ones!!!!

also little note the frontera is on 75,000 miles and the engine is knackered, i should have bought an astra van lol
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 27-02-2017, 21:24 Thread Starter

So the k-seal has not worked, the engine is overheating as the coolant is pressurising with combustion gasses yet again, drove a 200 mile round trip today with the needle constantly in the red and most of the coolant been forced out of the overflow yet somehow it is still going, the engine still runs relatively well too if not a little loudly, here is a video of the problem

cheers all

Roo
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 20-03-2017, 13:11 Thread Starter

Ok so with the failure of the k-seal its now a curiosity to see just how much longer the engine can last with HGF, it managed 115 miles over the weekend with the temp gauge all the way to the red (110c) all the coolant gets dumped into the overflow tank so the engine essentially becomes air cooled (oddly the temp gauge goes back down when at motorway speeds) so at the moment we are taking bets on the first point of failure

the top favorite is a coolant pipe bursting from the pressure of the steam causing the temp to skyrocket, overheat the oil and chuck a rod out the block (the one i am hoping for)
Next in line is water pump failure from been run dry leading to cam belt failure and valves getting smacked
And a small number of people so far think the engine will just cease solid

as for now the damn thing just keeps on going

what does everyone on here think?

Cheers all!

Roo
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 20-03-2017, 22:57

If it's anything like the old darts we run at work it will overheat, lock up, then once it cools down it will run fine again lol.
You'll prob find because you want it to die it will carry on running like that for ages until a day when you need it cos you have to get somewhere desperately and then it will strike and leave you in a cloud of steam and oil at the side of the road somewhere, probably in the rain too lol.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 20-03-2017, 23:06 Thread Starter

this is my suspicion too hence it will only be doing local journeys from now on, it just about made it the 200 yards to morrisons and back twice (got to the till and realized i had forgotten my wallet, how embarrasing!) and by the end of that it had boiled all of its coolant (in 800 meters) and the fans came on to overdrive again

current estimation is the water pump will give out as at higher revs the temperature seems to cool off a little suggesting the pump is only working at higher RPMs, in the meantime i will re-attach the side skirts to the MG in the next couple of days which will bring that back onto the road
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 17-05-2017, 13:02 Thread Starter

ok so a little update on this (if anyone cares) the 2.2 expired in a horrid and clunky way so rather than doing the easy solution as landfill suggested, we opted for an ancient vauxhall cavalier 2ltr that my other half found cheap on facebook sdo, its out with the old!

and in with the.... older?

To my surprise the engine mounts actually line up perfectly, though the good feeling was short lived as pretty soon the problems where coming thick and fast, firstly the 2ltr has an 8 bolt flywheel wheras the 2.2 only has 6, the 2ltr was too thin to fit the clutch and so after a complete guess, a Vectra V6 flywheel was fitted along with the 2.2 frontera clutch, all of which then mated to the gearbox.

Next in line was the sump, the frontera has a special shaped one to get over the front axle, and though we could bodge it to fit the 2ltr then the oil strainer would foul and be in the complete wrong place, so after some fettling with an angle grinder we managed to get the 2.2 pump to fit the 2ltr, we are hopeful it will work, i assume we will soon find out

Next on the list of issues was the "SFI box" from the 2ltr, it was fouling (in a big way) on the bulkhead and clutch master cylinder, so more expence later and a new type of upgraded "power cap" was installed which actually fits perfectly, the rest of the inlet went on with only minor persuasion

The exhaust is actually a nissan 200ZX turbo manifold chopped and welded to the 2ltr exhaust flange, the rest is then a miss matched bodge of clamps and left over exhaust pieces from various other dead projects, all held together with a full tube of exhaust assembly gunk, it aint pretty, but it works! for now

Alas after alot of work and some dodgy wireing we actually managed to get it started!

we actually did get it first time though nobody thought to grab a video camera, the subsequent 2 tests where done with a slightly different wireing setup that turned out not to work so we went back to the ECU and fuel pump attached directly to the battery and filmed this one, only a breif test sadly as we are still waiting on a new radiator and some piping to get the coolant system working but we have proved that you can get an old vauxhall engine running in a car that was never designed to have that engine installed! and i think i am right in saying that this is the first frontera facelift with a "redtop" engine in it!

Things left to do:

-find a switched live to the engine ECU that doesn't cut when you engage the starter motor
-Tidy up the wiring going to the fuel pump
-Radiator and piping (waiting on bits)
-Air intake (also waiting on bits)
-Radiator fans (still not sure on these yet)
-Rev counter
-Speedometer (untested)

Will keep you all updated

Roo