The fine art of owning: A Jaguar X-Type. - MG-Rover.org Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 135 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 07:18 Thread Starter

Car: Jaguar X-Type
The fine art of owning: A Jaguar X-Type.

Before anyone lambasts me for starting a 'blog' about owning a Jag, I just want to say that this Thread was requested by other members on here. Why, I don't know. Perhaps I tell a good story. Maybe because Rover 75's are so hard to get hold of and Jags are a viable alternative. Whatever the reason. Here I am.

For 15 years, I drove a succession of Reliant 3-wheelers. Back in December 2010, the head gasket went. If anyone can remember back that far. It was a really cold winter. There was no way I was going to take the engine apart! So I looked around and bought myself a Rover 416Sli auto. I loved it! However. I could see the 'writing on the wall' when the ABS light came on and stayed on. I started to look for a replacement. I really wanted a Rover 75 'Connie'. It had to have black leather seats. It had to be an automatic, as I hate front wheel drive manuals (Soggy gear changes) and because of the CD autochanger on the 416. It had to have the ability to have one fitted.

I looked for a 75 for ages. Dammed if I could find one that ticked all of the boxes. The 416 finally failed its MOT on the ABS light fault (Plus rusted sills on both sides) and became uneconomic to repair. I sold it to a friend to use as spares for his wifes 416 hatchback. His wife loved it so much that she wanted it repaired. She sold her 416 in favour of mine. The sills were repaied, but the ABS light fault remained. To cut a long story short. The ABS pump was fine. It was the ECU unit that was knackerd. My old 416 ended up as a cube because they couldn't get a replacement.

Meanwhile, I bought a cheap Rover 25. It was festooned with faults. I've spent the last 10 months fixing them. If you're really interested. The Thread about the 25 is here:

The Fine Art of Owning: A Rover 25

The 25 was only ever going to be a short term replacement, while I looked for a Rover 75. As time went on (and no 75's that fitted the requirement appeared), I cast my net wider. I included Mercs and Jags into my searches. It wasn't until last week that a Jag popped up that fitted the bill. Suffice to say, I bought it. Here are the Ebay pictures of it.

Dorchester likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 135 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 07:24
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape' & Rover 600
Nice one!
post #3 of 135 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 08:04 Thread Starter

When buying a car. I do my homework. I looked up the MOT history. The Jag had never failed one. It did have the odd advisory here and there, but most MOT reports were clean (As opposed to the Rover 75's I looked up. Most had a failure somewhere in their history). Since the Jag had such a clean history (and low mileage for its age), it was worth a punt.

X-Type Jags are interesting. OK, they're nothing more than a Ford Mondeo in a party dress, but what a party dress! I also looked at the prices that they tend to go for on Ebay. It worked out that you could buy an X-Type (irrespective of spec) for between 750 and 2250. Before anyone comments. Yes, some are more expensive! I went for an average price for a road going car.

To cut a long story short. I got the Jag for 1340. The Auction ended on the 14th and I collected the car yesterday.

I had quite a chat with the previous owner. He had looked at a number of Rover 75's himself. He could never find one he really liked, as they all had a fault of one sort of another. In a strange twist. He had bought the Jag for his father. However. His father couldn't get in it as it was too low. Yes, he had the Jag short term! Like myself. When he bought the Jag, he went through it from stem to stern. It even had 5 new tyres. Just like my Rover 25! We even had a chuckle about Reliant 3-wheelers and BMW owners. No matter. Let's move on....

Some would say the the drive home was uneventful. However, there are comparisons to be made. The Jags auto gearbox is a LOT smoother than my old 416. Every time that the 416 would change gear. There would be a slight 'nudge' in the back. In other words; You could feel the box changing. You couldn't feel anything in the Jag, but you could just hear the note of the engine changing. Smooth!

One difference that I found slightly annoying was the heater. The Jag has climate control. I've no idea if it's supposed to work differently, or it's just a detail that Jag have fitted. In both the 416 and my 25. Once you switch the fan on, it's ON. Not in the Jag. Once to switch the fan on. It slowly builds up speed to the desired setting. Because it has climate control. The heater and air-con are interlinked.

Another fun thing was the fuel consumption readout on the dash. The Jag was quoted as being able to return 30mpg on the extra urban circuit (25mpg on the urban circuit). I managed to get this figure up to 33mpg on the way home! Not bad eh? I'm going to switch that feature off. If I can't afford to put petrol in it, I shouldn't have bought the car in the first place!

One extra the Jag does have is folding wing mirrors. However. Unlike other cars that have them. The mirrors aren't automatic. There's a button on the driver side door that has to be pressed. I have to wonder about the number of other Jags out there that has this feature, but the owner doesn't know about it. So what's the 'state of play' at this moment?

There are a couple of things that I'll be doing. The Jag has a CD player in it. That'll be swopped out for a cassette player with a CD autochanger that goes in the boot. Although the CD player has the autochanger button. I still have cassettes. Why have all CD's when you can have more then one option?

Getting the parts is easy. I had thought about adding the touch screen sat-nav, but I'd never use it. Having said that. The Jag has cruise control. I doubt I'd be using that either.

Interesting times ahead.

post #4 of 135 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 09:09
Supporter

Car: Rover 25 1.4 110bhp 3d petrol 2002 MNX 45k ml / Fiat Punto convertible 1995 Bertone 1.6 90bhp
Thanks for your Jag newsletter, @Spudgun!. You should consider a new career as a writer too!
post #5 of 135 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 09:27 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorchester View Post
You should consider a new career as a writer too!
Strange that you mention that. I've written a whole heap of stuff in the past. From local club magazines to 'radio plays'.
Roverlike and Dorchester like this.
post #6 of 135 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 18:31

Car: Evolution VII RS, MK5 RS2000, Trackday MK2 ZR 160, MK2 ZS 120+
Not got a Duratorq in there have you?
post #7 of 135 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 19:31 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNDQ View Post
Not got a Duratorq in there have you?
The short answer is no. I've got a 2.1Ltr V6 petrol engine.
post #8 of 135 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 19:55

Car: 25X, 25 1.6, 25 2.0D Rep:■■■■■■■■■■
Dorchester likes this.
post #9 of 135 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 20:13 Thread Starter

Well. At least I'm not John Prescott who had 2 Jags.
post #10 of 135 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 20:27
Supporter

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
Tidy X-Type you have. Shame about the colour but the black leather/oak interior looks good.

I think the R75 owners in particular will welcome future updates during your ownership.
post #11 of 135 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 20:59 Thread Starter

I can see why Rover 75 owners (or potential owners) could see the value of a 'blog' like this. There are a number of similarities between the X-Type and the Rover 75 'Connie'. The black leather upholstery was (in my mind) a 'must have'. The body colour (Silver in the Jags case) suits the X-Type, but I would've preferred dark blue for a 75.

It should be remembered that there's quite a substantial spec difference on both the X-Type and the 'Connie' range. I've done quite a bit of research on both cars and found that a number of features can be retro fitted to both cars. Having said that. The Rover 75 has a far greater scope for improvement. This is due to Project Drive, where deletion of parts diminished the spec of the car (A number of deletions were re-instated when the Rover 75 became the Rowe 750).

When it comes to options that can be retro fitted to the X-Type, I've found a number. This includes the CD autochanger and the sat-nav system. The X-Type uses a fibre optic system. The CD Changer, the Sat-Nav DVD box and the voice operated system are looped. The cable is already installed in the boot. You just install the bracket (Along with a new carpet panel) and add the module of your choice. It's almost all 'plug and play'. The only option that I've found nothing about is the folding wing mirrors. These were an option for the Japanese market Rover 75's (or were they standard?). It's an option for the X-Type (Which I have), but I've no idea if the loom is already present in the doors for them.
post #12 of 135 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 21:19

Car: Evolution VII RS, MK5 RS2000, Trackday MK2 ZR 160, MK2 ZS 120+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun! View Post
The short answer is no. I've got a 2.1Ltr V6 petrol engine.
Thats ok then that diesel engine is horrible and always having problems the petrol's are normally ok apart from ignition coils and lambda sensors
post #13 of 135 (permalink) Old 20-02-2017, 20:29 Thread Starter

At last, I've had a chance to go though a folder of paperwork that came with the Jag.

As any enthusiastic owner would know. Provenance is everything. Having a whole heap of Bills and receipts, as well as a service and MOT history helps the car to retain some of its value. To put it bluntly; A car with provenance will fetch more than a car without. Although my old Rover 416 was a scrapper. I sold it for 100 and a chance of being repaired. This was on the strength on the folder full of paperwork that went with it. Although it still ended up as a cube. 100 was better than the 50 I would've got from a scrappy. I bought my Rover 25 without any history. Mind you, it was cheap (and pretty dilapidated). It now has a folder full of paperwork! Moving swiftly along....

One piece of paperwork that came with the car was the original Sales Invoice. The purchase price, back in October 2002 was 24,117.89. Also included are the invoices for the Services. These services match the entries in the handbook. Some of the money spent is staggering! The 30,000 service by a Jaguar Garage was for over 650.

When I bought the Jag. I got 3 keys. This struck me as being odd. Normally, you only get 2. Well. I found the paperwork for the 3rd key. The owner at the time also bought a bulb kit and had a red warning triangle fitted to the underside of the boot lid (Probably was going to mainland Europe where carrying one is a requirement. Well, it was when I lived in Germany in the early 80's). Again. This was from a Jaguar garage. The cost? 178.61. The invoice is dated 21/1/03.

This Jag has certainly been cared for.
Dorchester likes this.
post #14 of 135 (permalink) Old 20-02-2017, 21:37
Supporter

Car: 160
Regards the folding mirrors - I would not bother.
A lot of older cars, inc. my E320 Merc.,had problems with the wiring becoming worn & eventually breaking, due to the constant folding when parking. I have disabled mine.
Also they are a pig to repair.
post #15 of 135 (permalink) Old 21-02-2017, 16:15 Thread Starter

As I mentioned earlier. The folding mirrors I have aren't automatic. They're manual. They'll only fold when a button is pressed. I have seen a number of cars that are fitted with auto folding mirrors (Opening and folding upon use of the key, ignition etc).

I mentioned the subject somewhat in passing. I pondered how many people had this feature in their cars and didn't realise it. Oh, while I'm here....

Like Rovers, the Jag has heated wing mirrors. However, there's a difference. On the Rover, the heating elements come on as soon as the ignition is switched on. On the Jag, they're switched to start with. If you turn on the rear screen demister, the mirror elements come on as well. Personally, I think what I did with my Rover 25 is a better idea. The mirrors are turned on with an extra switch that I've added. Let's face it. If you're demisting the rear screen (so you can use the rear view mirror), why demist the wing mirrors?
post #16 of 135 (permalink) Old 21-02-2017, 16:22
Rover Lifestyle

To me it makes perfect sense to heat wing mirrors if you heat rear window in order to be able to use all three of them

One more note. Rover 200/25 start heating wing mirors with ignition on, but in case of Rover 400 and Rover 600 you have special switch for get them heated. Switch you used in your R25 is used in R400 as factory fit. We had this conversation when you installed your switch
post #17 of 135 (permalink) Old 21-02-2017, 16:42 Thread Starter

I do remember that. However. I'm sure that I mentioned that my 416Sli didn't have the switch.
post #18 of 135 (permalink) Old 21-02-2017, 16:45
Rover Lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun! View Post
I do remember that. However. I'm sure that I mentioned that my 416Sli didn't have the switch.
Yes, you did mention that.
post #19 of 135 (permalink) Old 22-02-2017, 20:35 Thread Starter

Now that I'm beginning to get used to the Jag, there's a couple of things that annoy me. On both the Rover 416 and the present 25, there's a footrest for when your left foot hasn't got anything to do. The Jag hasn't got one. It's going to take some time getting used to my left foot flopping about in the footwell. The second annoyance is about the interior lighting.

The X-Type Jag does have a nice set of lights placed around the interior of the cabin. There's the normal courtesy light on the centre of the roof. There's an extra one on the roof by the windscreen. There's also one light in each of the floor footwells. Of course. There's a light in the boot and the glovebox. So what's the problem? Well. The light from the stock bulbs is rather dim. I upgraded the interior lights in the 25 with LED bulbs. I also swopped out the rear view mirror for one from the MG TF, as it had bulbs in the mirror assembly. The end result was the cabin of the Rover 25 was well illuminated. So, again you say; What's the problem? I'll tell you.

The Rover 25 handbook gave a full listing of the bulbs that could easily be replaced by the user. The Jag only gives a list of the exterior bulbs. Even so, this list is in the Emergency section of the Jag handbook. The interior lights are only mentioned in passing earlier in the book. Now, that's annoying!

I want to replace the rather dim stock interior bulbs with the brighter LED's (Oh. Jags don't have an illuminated ring around the ignition lock). Somehow, I get the feeling that Jaguar treated owners of their cars as if some simple jobs were beneath them.

Yeah right. As If I'd take the car to a Jaguar dealer to get a courtesy light bulb changed.
post #20 of 135 (permalink) Old 23-02-2017, 04:25
Rover Lifestyle

I would imagine you guessed correctly. Exterior lights needs to be changable by the driver in accordance to law, if anything is burnt, in order to be legal for driving the car. But everything else is part of servicing and meintanence for which you surely will not do it by yourself. Drive it to garage and they will do it for you.