The fine art of owning: A Jaguar X-Type. - Page 2 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 27-02-2017, 19:41 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 25
I've now had the Jag for a week. I'm slowly figuring out how some functions work and getting others to work the way I want them too. In this outing, I'm concentrating on the windscreen wipers.

Say what you like about Rovers. At least the windscreen wipers are simple to understand and simple to operate. You have: Off. Intermittent. Normal and fast speeds. Simple. Just like the majority of other cars out there. What's not to like? The Jag, on the other hand......

By and large, Jaguars are regarded as 'Executive' class vehicles, rather than luxury cars. There's also the 'sporting' pretensions that go with the marque, but that's not important here (My X Type doesn't have a Sport mode). As a result, it's only to be expected for the Jag to have a number of 'toys' that you wouldn't find on the average car, bought by the average driver. The Jag has a number of enhancements to the windscreen wiper function. Some of them are nice. Others are annoying.

Now. Imagine that you're sat in your Rover. The right hand stalk controls your wipers. To turn the wipers on, you'd rotate the control on the end of the stalk. The 1st position would be for Intermittent, etc. Further down the stalk, you have the control for the rear wiper. This is rotated in much the same way as the end control. The Jag shares a similar rear wiper control, but being a saloon, it doesn't have a rear wiper. The front wipers are turned on and off in an old fashioned manner. The entire stalk is moved upwards (Much like cars of old). So now you know the layout. Here's the functions.

In the lowermost position. The wipers are switched off. Moving the stalk upwards once notch, the wipers are on auto. Yup. The wipers decided for themselves when they want to work. You might be driving down the road and a stray drop of water lands on the windscreen. On comes the wipers. A couple of wipes later, they switch themselves off. Sounds good doesn't it? Well. You try following another car on a wet road. The spray from that car sends the wipers haywire! They randomly go on and off at assorted speeds! Damm annoying! The remaining positions for the stalk are for the other speeds of the wipers.

Remember that I mentioned the control for the rear wiper on a Rover? Remember that I said that the Jag had something similar? Well. That control is for the intermittent function.

The default position is Auto. So, if the stalk is on Auto and the intermittent switch is on Auto. The wipers do their own thing. If the switch is rotated to any other position, the Auto function is switched off. The wipers are then on a timer (Much like any other intermittent wiper on any other car). However. The intermittent switch has a number of positions. This means that you can dictate the frequency of 'wipes' in a given time period. For example: The first position could be; 1 wipe every 10 seconds. The second position could be; 1 wipe every 5 seconds, etc, etc. This is handy. In the other of the Rovers I've had. I sometimes had to pull the stalk to get an extra wipe, in between the wipes of the intermittent mode.

In summary. Select intermittent frequency: Good. Auto wipe mode: Bad.

Suffice to say. I've switch off the auto wipe function.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 27-02-2017, 20:14
Supporter

Car: Rover 25 1.4 110bhp 3d petrol 2002 MNX 45k ml / Fiat Punto convertible 1995 Bertone 1.6 90bhp
Thanks a lot @Spudgun!: I fear I've got a headache!
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 27-02-2017, 20:28 Thread Starter

There's something to be said for having a Rover 25. That's simplicity!
Dorchester likes this.

post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 28-02-2017, 16:11 Thread Starter

It snowed last night. Not much. No more than an inch. The ground was wet, so the snow didn't lie on the ground, but it stuck to the Jag (and the Rover). This morning, the snow had frozen to both cars. Time to test the defrost mode on the Jags climate control!

Even though the climate control on the Jag is complicated (I've yet to figure most of it out), the defrost mode is idiotically simple. On the climate control panel. There are two buttons. One for the front screen. One for the rear screen. It's a simple case of: Starting the engine. Turning on the climate control and then pressing the two buttons. The Jags ECU does the rest (Yes. The climate control does have an auto mode). So what happens?

The rear screen heating and wing mirror elements come on. The fan in the heater engages. The neat bit is that the rear screen has air ducts from the heater! As the engine warms up. Warm air is directed from the vents onto the rear screen. This is in addition to the rear screen heating elements!

It wasn't long before large lumps of frozen snow came away from both of the screens. Within 10 minutes, both screens were completely clear of ice and fogging.

Now. I have to compare this result with the Rover 25 (Which was still plastered in frozen snow). Earlier in the year. We did have some frosty mornings. Although I spent the same amount of time clearing the windows of frost. The rear screen was still fogged up on the inside. I've no idea if the Rover 75 has rear screen air vents.

The Jag wins this round.
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 28-02-2017, 16:24
Supporter

Car: Rover 25 1.4 110bhp 3d petrol 2002 MNX 45k ml / Fiat Punto convertible 1995 Bertone 1.6 90bhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun! View Post
Now. I have to compare this result with the Rover 25 (Which was still plastered in frozen snow). Earlier in the year. We did have some frosty mornings. Although I spent the same amount of time clearing the windows of frost. The rear screen was still fogged up on the inside. I've no idea if the Rover 75 has rear screen air vents.
The Jag wins this round.
I never ever noticed it with my 25 since 2 years, nor with my previous 214Gsi during 16 years. But we may have some climatic differences.

Nonetheless, one day last January, the humidity being utmost, my 25 was awfully full of condensation. I opened both doors & hatchback and 5/10 minutes later the whole humidity was gone! Much less sophisticate than the Jag's, I admit, but drastically efficient!
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 28-02-2017, 16:49 Thread Starter

Although I don't exactly live on the coast. I can see sand dunes and Lundy Island in the distance. So it would be fair to say that we get a certain amount of moisture over here (There's a local expression that goes: If you can see Lundy Island, it's about to rain. If you can't see Lundy Island, it's raining!).

Like yourself, had a lot of water droplets on the inside of the rear screen. I opened the tailgate. Wiped then off with a cloth and left the tailgate up for 10 minutes. Problem solved.
post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 28-02-2017, 18:27
gots me a pair o' MGs

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
Quote:
The neat bit is that the rear screen has air ducts from the heater! As the engine warms up. Warm air is directed from the vents onto the rear screen. This is in addition to the rear screen heating elements!

......I've no idea if the Rover 75 has rear screen air vents.

The Jag wins this round.
I'd be very surprised if the vents are supplying heated air to the rear screen. It is more likely the vents are to draw warm air out of the cabin into the boot and out of the vents behind the rear bumper.

The rapid windscreen demist/defrost function is standard on most if not all climate control systems (the Rover 75 included) and it alone is worth having climate control for. You'll find that engaging the function also starts your air con working on full chat to dehumidify.

Being based on the Mondeo, does your X-Type have the Quickclear system fitted?

One for summer: 2004 MG TF 135 in Firefrost
One for winter: 2002 MG ZS 120+in Solar Red
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 28-02-2017, 20:06 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRich View Post
Being based on the Mondeo, does your X-Type have the Quickclear system fitted?
Yeah, it's a bit of a standing joke that the X-Type is nothing more than a Mondeo in a party dress. Moving on....

Yes, the Jag does have the Quickclear system. As regards the rear vents. I admit that I haven't put my hand over them to see if any warm air was being pumped out of them (I was far too busy being amazed by the lumps of frozen snow coming away from the rear screen so quickly). At the time, I couldn't think of any other explanation. I'll have to double check on this. Now; In other news....

There's one feature that Rover's have that Jags don't. If you've been driving in the dark (With the lights on, of course). Once you've turned off the lights and switched off the engine. The interior lights come on. In the Jag, it's total darkness until you open the door.

Rover 1. Jaguar 0.
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 28-02-2017, 20:29
gots me a pair o' MGs

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
Quote:
In the Jag, it's total darkness until you open the door.
I'd expect a car of this generation to have this function. I wonder if it's programmable? What does the owners manual say?

One for summer: 2004 MG TF 135 in Firefrost
One for winter: 2002 MG ZS 120+in Solar Red
post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 28-02-2017, 20:46 Thread Starter

The interior lights come on when the car is unlocked. So, when you're outside and hit the plip. The lights come on (The same as a Rover). Once the engine is started, the lights go out (Sames as a Rover). It's from here that things are different.

Once underway, the Jag will lock the doors. Once you've parked up and turned off the engine, the lights stay off as the interior lights are linked to the locks. Not the ignition. Now, the door lock is a separate lever that's built onto the door handle. If you pull the door lock, the lights will come on. However. If you pull the door handle, the door lock lever is pulled along with it, thus turning on the lights.

In summary:

Rover;
Entry: Door locks. Exit: Ignition.

Jaguar;
Entry and exit: Door locks (As mentioned in the User Handbook).

I'll have to try using the plip to unlock the doors to see if the interior lights come on before I open the door.
post #31 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 15:55 Thread Starter

Well. I unlocked the doors when I stopped this morning and the lights stayed off. They only came on when the door was opened. The result remains;

Rover 1. Jaguar 0.
post #32 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 18:48
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
What's the annual road tax on your x type out of interest?
post #33 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 19:01 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
What's the annual road tax on your x type out of interest?
295 for 12 months. 162.25 for 6 months.
post #34 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 19:22
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Scary - it's going up and up. We'll all be driving sewing machines soon...
post #35 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 19:33 Thread Starter

Before I had the Rover 416, I had Reliant 3-wheelers. They were 55 a year to Tax. My mum had a Renault Clio (I think). That was 20 to Tax for a year. It was at that point I thought; What's the point?
post #36 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 22:02
Supporter

Car: Rover 600
Very good thread Spudgun! I have gone the opposite way, from a Jag (XF) to a Rover (600).

The wipers are fine, BTW, I left mine in auto 95% of the time, kids loved watching them go crazy as soon as a lot of spray was encountered and then slow down once the spray had gone.
You'll get used to them.

Also, on the XF the interior light comes on when you stop the engine, which was a nice feature, so the behaviour did get changed.

As for the last little bit about the Road Tax, as my XF was a 3L Petrol emitting 249g CO2/km, it was going to be 500 this year. The 600 cost less than that to buy......(tax on my Jag was due e/o Feb so decided it was time 2 change)

Sold my XF on Monday to WBAC.com

Anyway hope it all works out well!

cheers
Stu
post #37 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 15:39 Thread Starter

Traffic was a bit slow on the way to work. In front of me was a white van. The auto gearbox was having a fit. It would change up and then change down again. For half a mile there was this 'thump thump thump' from the auto box as it couldn't decide what gear it wanted to be in. It wasn't until we went around a roundabout did I realise that it wasn't the van traveling at just the wrong speed. It was the car in front of the van. It was an MGTF.

Bad MG. BAD MG!!!!
post #38 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 18:58 Thread Starter

Following on from yesterdays incident with the 'thumping' gearbox and the MGTF. I thought I's write a few notes on auto gearboxes.

Previously, I owned a Rover 416 Sli auto (That's the one with the Honda engine). It was a lovely car and very pleasant to drive. It had a 4 speed auto box. Although the gear changes were noticeable, the changes could be influenced by the driver.

I learned that the Rover could be driven in two different ways. You could let the auto box do its own thing, or you could 'force' a change in gear by blipping the throttle (Yeah. It's the accelerator, but I ride motorbikes, so I use the term 'Throttle'). In essence. If I'm cruising along at 40 mph in 2nd gear. I could 'blip' the throttle and the box would change up into 3rd. The box would stay there until 50mph, where I could 'blip' the throttle again and the box would change up to 4th. In short; I could 'force' a change 5mph earlier than the box would do, if left alone. I've tried this maneuver with the Jags auto box. It doesn't work.

As I understand it. The Jag has a 5 speed auto box. This has advantages and disadvantages. The advantage is greater fuel economy. If you consider that the Jag has a 2.1 Ltr engine. It returns the same fuel economy as the 1.6 Ltr Rover. The stated MPG for the Rover is 25MPG Urban and 30MPG extra-urban. This is the same as the Jag. Having said that. I had the Information Centre readout for the Jag switched on for a while. I recorded as high as 33MPG extra urban and as low as 22MPG urban. I think it's fair to say that the MPG tallies with the literature. So, what's the problem? To cut a long story short: The more gears you have. The more often you have to change them.

I've had a number of cars and bikes over the years. One of my current bikes is a Royal Enfield. It has a 4 speed gearbox. My Dad had owned a different model Royal Enfield. That had a 5 speed gearbox. The thing is: The top gear ratio was the same on both boxes! In truth, the gap between 3rd and 4th on my bike was a bit on the large side, so Enfield added a gear, but the thrust of the argument remains the same: More gears. More changes.

If you sit down and think about it. The Rover only had 4 gears. The advantage is that each gear had to have a greater speed range before it changed. For the sake of argument, let's say that the overlap between each gearchange is 15mph. By 'blipping' the throttle, this overlap could be dropped to a 10mph range. If you add an extra gear, the 'overlap' becomes smaller. When you mix this with an auto box that can't be influenced. You end up with an auto box that can go nuts within a given speed range, because the overlap is so small.

There are times when I think that 5 and 6 speed manual gearboxes are nothing but a gimmick. I've only ever had one car that (to my mind) had a proper 5th gear. That was a 1968 Triumph Mk3 Spitfire. It was fitted with an Overdrive!
post #39 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 20:52 Thread Starter

Well. You learn something new every day. In my previous Post, I talked about the the small overlap between gears in the Jags autobox. I've been though the Handbook and now I know why. In short. I don't have a Sport Mode.

What the Sport Mode does, is to extend the overlap between gear changes, to make use of the engines power. You could say that my old Rover 416 was permanently in Sport Mode as the spacing between gear changes was greater than the Jags.

I had wondered why the Jag seemed a little sluggish. The Rover would accelerate smartly from a standstill, when joining faster moving traffic at a junction. The Jag moved at a more leisurely pace for the same amount of throttle. However. The Jag can shift when you want it too. It just means the judicious use of the Kickdown function (Something I rarely used on the Rover).
post #40 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 19:37 Thread Starter

Although I've no intention of buying a CD changer for the Jag, until my Rover is sold. I have been doing a lot of research on upgrades. There's a lot of them! Some would call these items 'upgrades'. Other would think of them as 'retro fits'.

The X Type Jag shares similarities to the Rover 75 when it comes to the diversity of specifications. Even if you stuck to the specification of the Rover 75 'Connie'. The range of what got fitted to any given car is diverse. Some had cruise control. Some didn't. Some had sat nav. Some didn't. The list is almost endless. Hell. Both the X-Type and the 75 had face lift models during the production run. You could say that both the 75 and the X-Type were aimed at the same buyers.

I've had a good look around (In particular, at Jaguar related Forums) and here's a list of popular retro fit upgrades.

CD Autochanger.
Sat Nav
Voice Activation Control
Premium Sound System
Motorola Phone.

Each of these upgrades uses a module that fits in the boot. There's a rack that the modules fit into. I've seen pictures and it looks like an old stacked Hi-Fi system. Thankfully, there's a carpet moulding that covers the lot. There is a hatch though. This allows you to swop out the CD's in the changer, or the DVD disc in the sat nav unit.

From new and depending on spec. There's a cable that goes from the centre consul to the boot fitted at the factory. The end has a bit of foam rubber wrapped around the end and the end is tucked into the rear wing. I've checked my own Jag and it's there! However. I've no idea of what module can be fitted to it.

Extensive digging has indicated that there's more than one cable involved. If you've got a sat nav from the factory. You'll be able to fit a CD changer. You might be able to fit voice control as well. I honestly don't know. The base cable appears to be for a CD changer and something else. What that something else is. Well. Your guess is a good as mine. There's one thing I have found though.

Each plug on the cable will only fit into one socket. Both the plugs and sockets are keyed. I've been trawling through Ebay, looking at the assorted modules for sale and collecting pictures of the sockets on them. Sadly. I only managed to have a quick look at the cable I have (I just wanted to confirm that it was there), so when my Rover is sold. I'll remove the current carpet moulding and have a better look at the cable. I should be able to match my plug to a picture of a module socket. Then I'll know what else can be fitted, if I wish.

On the climate control panel of the Jag (As well as the steering wheel), there's a number of buttons that are used for a phone or voice control. Although my cable might be able to have a phone or voice control fitted. It doesn't mean to say that it can be. The cable I have might be a common component, but the microphones in the cabin might be missing. The microphone grilles are there. It's unlikely that the microphones are.

Unlike Rovers. Jaguars aren't plug and play. Once I've got the CD autochanger fitted. I have to go to a Jaguar garage (or other garage that deals with Jags) to get the new feature unlocked. In short. The ECU has to be told that a CD changer has been fitted! This brings me onto the most popular upgrade (or retro fit). Sat nav!

Due to a peculiarity of the Jaguar system. Jaguars 'upgrade' software is built into it. You enter a 'secret' code into the keypad and a management menu appears. You can activate the CD changer from there. From what has been written. You can change the language from English to Japanese, or even change from Jaguar to Daimler! Weird or what?

An oddly popular upgrade is the Motorola phone. Not the Startac cordless, but the hard wired one. THe handset lives in the upper compartment of the centre armrest. I have that compartment (The lower compartment holds the usual stuff. CD's, guns, fake ID's, etc, etc). The only reason I can think of for this old phone is that it's linked into the voice control module.

Things are getting interesting.....