The fine art of owning: A Jaguar X-Type. - Page 3 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #41 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 20:08
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Tbh unless you are going for original, if it's any effort to unlock the services, most of the upgrades would be better to do with up to date kit. I mean CD' s for satnav/ music? Handset phone? I like an auto box on a big engined car on a long drive, sports mode, kick down etc.

gnu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 20:22
Supporter

Car: Rover 25 1.4 110bhp 3d petrol 2002 MNX 45k ml / Fiat Punto convertible 1995 Bertone 1.6 90bhp
Your Jag newsletter is fascinating.
You are entering a new world and that looks thrilling.
And I bet that you are aiming to upgrade to a very unique model of X type in the months or years to come.
We keep looking at your progress & developments.
post #43 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 20:45 Thread Starter

Car: Jaguar X-Type
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
Tbh unless you are going for original, if it's any effort to unlock the services, most of the upgrades would be better to do with up to date kit. I mean CD' s for satnav/ music? Handset phone? I like an auto box on a big engined car on a long drive, sports mode, kick down etc.
One of the problems is that the radio is unique to the X-Type. The sat nav unit apparently also fits the S-Type. I have yet to see any aftermarket units that can be fitted. It's true that you can get sat nav displays to fit elsewhere, but you're left with the problem that the original sat nav touch screen controls everything else, so it's pointless in replacing it. The Jaguar sat nav uses DVD's. Of course, DVD's do have advantages. They're easily updated (for a newer version disc) and can be quickly swopped out if you go to another Country. As I have mentioned. Jaguars software is built into the sat nav unit, so there's no effort in unlocking services.

CD's may be old technology, but it works. I download music and burn my own discs. Everything is neat and tidy as the changer is in the boot. What's not to like?

I'm not criticizing the likes of USB enabled players per-se. But why change a player when the original works perfectly well? Yes, it's true that a feature has be to unlocked. But it's not exactly a hardship.

I don't own a mobile phone myself (never found a need for one). I'm merely mentioning that a hard wired Motorola was available for the Jag (Jaguar branded as well!). Thus far. I've found it all rather fascinating.

I'm looking forward to a long open road and using the cruise control. Never had that before.

post #44 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 20:49 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorchester View Post
Your Jag newsletter is fascinating.
You are entering a new world and that looks thrilling.
And I bet that you are aiming to upgrade to a very unique model of X type in the months or years to come.
We keep looking at your progress & developments.
I'm only looking to add a CD changer really. I'm not an audiophile, so no premium sound system for me. I can read a map, so I don't need a sat nav. I don't have a mobile phone, so I won't be fitting a Motorola. Apparently, the voice control can be a little clunky, so I doubt I'll be fitting that.

However..............
post #45 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 20:56
Supporter

Car: Rover 25 1.4 110bhp 3d petrol 2002 MNX 45k ml / Fiat Punto convertible 1995 Bertone 1.6 90bhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun! View Post
I'm only looking to add a CD changer really. I'm not an audiophile, so no premium sound system for me. I can read a map, so I don't need a sat nav. I don't have a mobile phone, so I won't be fitting a Motorola. Apparently, the voice control can be a little clunky, so I doubt I'll be fitting that.
However..............
No sound system? No Sat Nav? No mobile phone?
You're a very phenomenon in our century my dear!
post #46 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 21:16 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorchester View Post
No sound system?
Just for the purposes of discussion. I'll delve into the detail of upgrading to the premium sound system.

The premium sound system uses 10 speakers. 2 in each door and 2 sub woofers under the rear parcel shelf. There's also the boot mounted amplifier. Lastly, there's the associated wiring looms.

I'd have to junk the stock door speakers and buy in upgraded ones. I'd have to buy in 4 new door handles with ones that have the tweeters built into them. Then there's the rear parcel shelf moulding with the sub woofers. I'd have to buy that. Then there's the cost of the amplifier that bolts into the boot. I'd have to make the 4 door wiring looms to connect the new tweeters.

I won't mention that it would cost roughly 500 to retro fit the sat nav.
post #47 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 11:21 Thread Starter

Well. Curiosity has gotten the better of me. I hadn't intended to take a closer look at the loom in the boot, until I had sold the Rover. However. I just had to know what was in there!

I have to say this much. Jags are well put together. The boot carpet panel was only held in with two plastic plugs, but they were a sod to get out. Also, the panel itself was quite thick and didn't wasn't to flex much. However. I managed it.

There was an assortment of plugs in there. I don't know what half of them are for. I can say that there are two principle looms. One would be the generic loom. This one would be fitted to all variants of the X-Type. The other I'd call the 'options' loom. It was the 'options' loom that I was interested in.

I have said that I was only interested in fitting the CD autochanger. I confirmed that the relevant plug was in there. The plug appears to be part of the 'generic' loom. I also mentioned that there was an unidentified plug that was tucked away behind a panel on the boot. Time to identify that plug!

It turned out that the unidentified plug was on the 'options' loom. Tracing the loom back, I found the label. On the label was marked "M Telephone" and the looms part number. So, the Jag is partially wired for a bluetooth Motorola phone. Don't jump for joy just yet folks.

Even though I have the capability of mounting the phones bluetooth module in the boot. I've no idea of how much of the phones loom there is at the other end. In theory, there should be a socket inside the centre armrest. I'll take to take the top of the armrest to find out. Also (and in theory), there should be a microphone in the roof courtesy light unit. Somehow, I doubt if the microphone is there. The downside that there was no Voice Control plugs. So the phone cannot be operated by voice alone. It can only be operated by the handset, or from the radio panel. So the Jaguar phone (in this instance) isn't a 'hands free' device.

Tempting isn't it.....
post #48 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 12:17
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape' & Rover 600
I am amased how you can be so patient.

Actualy what brought me to this forum in 2009 is fact that I investigated how some things can be added to R200 mk3 'bubble' we have.
Actually there is no one thing which can be added or changed that I am not aware of now and that I have all things prepared if I decide to do it.

So, in this case of world of Jag I would start finding and preparing ALL options that could exist as add-on or option or retrofit or upgrade or you name it. But this is me...
post #49 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 13:22 Thread Starter

The only reason I've been so patient, is that I'll be using the money from the sale of the Rover to finance any upgrades (Even though I've enough money to cover the costs already).

When I bought the Rover 416, I learned by accident that you could fit a CD autochanger. Since then. Any car that I buy, must be able to have one fitted. Other than that, my interests (vis a vis Rovers) was Project Drive and the re-fitting of deleted parts.

The Jaguar has been a whole new learning curve. Although not subjected to a cruel regime of the likes of Project Drive. The diversity of specs is dizzying. Just trying to find out what can and cannot be fitted with the looms that I have has been time consuming.

Within the past hour. I've found a set of installation instructions for the original mobile phone. The looms are all there. It's just that the parts that fit onto the looms are missing. So the loom for the microphone has been fitted. Just the microphone itself needs to be found.

Research saves money! At least I now know that I can't have voice control and sat nav.
post #50 of 130 (permalink) Old 14-03-2017, 17:35 Thread Starter

Research has brought results. In this outing, I'll be talking about mobile phones.

It seems that Jaguar used two different phone systems throughout the X-Types life span. One is bluetooth. The other is non bluetooth. Now, I have to explain the fundamental difference between the two systems.

I have the non bluetooth system. In essence, The whole system is hard wired. That's from the ariel behind the bumper to the handset in the armrest. The bluetooth system has a physical break. There is no physical connection between the handset and the modules in the boot. The bluetooth system was used in Jags from around 2003 onwards. So where does that leave my 2002 Jag and a potential retrofit?

In short. I can retrofit the phone and it will work. My Jag used the CSM system. It's older and it uses the G2 platform. From what I've read. The bluetooth system uses the G3. Oh. Before I go much further. I'd better mention that I don't have a mobile phone and I know almost nothing about them. Moving swiftly on...

I've already mentioned that I have the mobile phone loom in the car. I've managed to find out that the complete loom is in there. It's just that there's nothing on the ends. So what's involved in retro fitting a phone?

If you're looking for a list of components. Here you go:

The ariel that sits in the bumper.
The phone module that sits in the boot.
The frame that the module sits in.
The handset and cradle that sits in the armrest.
The link lead that connects the handset to the loom under the arm rest.
The microphone that sits in the courtesy light on the roof.

I've managed to find all but one of these parts on Ebay. The part I can't find is the link lead. It seems that car breakers are getting sloppy.

Everything sounds OK thus far. It isn't. There are difficulties.

The boot mounted phone module has different Issues. These issues (Sometimes known as Levels) are denoted by two letters after the part number. AH is a higher Issue than AD. Both will work equally well, but the prevailing advice is to get the highest Issue as possible.

It has been written that the Motorola handset is locked. That is; You're restricted to certain service providers. I did look around and found that there are unlocking services available. So, you can get the handset unlocked. Bang in you SIM and away you go.

It also has been written that Jaguar aren't keen on getting a retro fitted phone recognized by the car (Some have had flat refusals). I think that this is poor customer service. The most popular aftermarket phone fitment is Parrot. Never heard of it.
post #51 of 130 (permalink) Old 16-03-2017, 11:40 Thread Starter

Research has yielded more results. I've managed to find the Jaguar installation instructions for the GSM Jaguar phone. It came from an American website, when you can download all sorts of instructions for add-ons and upgrades.

It appears that Jaguar offered kits for upgrades and add-ons. The GSM phone add-on (as well as the bluetooth upgrade) was available as a kit. The kit also has a part number. There is one snag though. The kit doesn't tell you what it actually contains. It does mention that you would have to buy other parts separately. Either way. The GSM kit isn't available in the UK (Superseded by the bluetooth kit). What it does have is an illustrated parts list.

I listed the parts that I thought were needed to complete the installation of the phone in my previous Post. Not that I have the instructions, I've found that there are two parts missing. One is the plinth that the phone cradle screws onto. The other is a rubber mat that covers the connector cable that goes from the phone to the loom under the armrest. This brings me onto the subject of sloppy breakers.

OK. Breakers have to make a living. Anything easy to take off a doner car can be sold cheaply and still make a profit. The phone handset can be unplugged. The cradle can be unscrewed. However. This leaves the plinth, the rubber mat and the connector cable stuck in the armrest. To add insult to injury. The remaining armrest is removed and sold off separately, with no reference to it once holding a phone! However. I've done some detective work......

I've trawled Ebay for the Motorola handset. Then I crossed referenced it with other parts that the vendor was selling. I wanted to see if they were selling the centre consul. I found one! Not only was the vendor selling the centre consul. In the picture of it was the link lead poking out from underneath! I have E-Mailed the vendor to ask if the plinth and rubber mat are still inside.

Let's see what happens.
Dorchester likes this.
post #52 of 130 (permalink) Old 16-03-2017, 21:21 Thread Starter

Although the wheels of industry grind slowly. I've yet to get a reply from the vendor with the armrest. As time and tide wait for no man. I decided to put my best foot forward and to stop using hackneyed expressions in my Posts.

But seriously folks.......

I wasn't really expecting a reply from the vendor all that quickly. About a day or two was expected. However. Being completely nosy, I just had to do some more detective work.

While I was looking for a CD changer. I noticed that one vendor was using the same picture in a number of Lots. The prices were different, thus indicating the the CD changer in question wasn't the same one. Further digging found the armrest I was interested in was used in three different Lots with three different prices! Both the armrest and the CD changer were from the same vendor! In short; The vendor was using a 'library' photo, instead of taking individual pictures of each item. This is just sloppy! What you see ain't what you get! There's an excellent chance that none of the armrests advertised never had a phone in any of them. Suffice to say, I'm no longer expecting a reply.

Being a 'detective' (OK. Board stupid and wanting something to do to pass the time), I trawled the interweb again. I've already mentioned that the fitting kit for the Jaguar GSM phone was no longer available, as it had been superseded by the bluetooth kit. I've already mentioned that I had found and downloaded the installation instructions for the GSM phone. Using the part number for the GSM kit (There are two versions and two different part numbers), I began to search.

One site that I visited was what you could call 'The Jaguar version of Rimmer Bros'. It's not as easy to navigate and not was well illustrated, but but is does share a number of key similarities. You could search by part number and it gives market variations. Although the GSM kit was listed as not being available. The page did give a breakdown of the parts included and the relevant part numbers. The page also said if a given part was in stock or not. I now had the part numbers of the parts I couldn't get on Ebay.

Back on the Interweb, I searched using the newly acquired part numbers. Only one other UK site any any of the parts listed by its number. Even then. It was 2nd hand. The part in question was the cradle for the Motorola phone. On the first site it was 65, but it was a new part. On the 2nd site. It was 9 2nd hand. We all know that Jaguar parts are expensive, but 65 for a piece of plastic is outrageous! Not paying that! On the flip side though. The first two parts were under 20 and they were brand new.

Before I go any further. I should mention this; If you want to fit the original Jaguar phone. You must have the sliding armrest on the centre consul. The easiest was to identify the sliding armrest is to look at the number of buttons on the front. If you've got one. It's no good. If you've got two. You're away! The two button, sliding armrest has two compartments. One button opens the upper phone compartment. The other button opens the lower compartment, where you can hide CD's, guns, Illegal immigrants, etc (I'm sure that I've already mentioned this). Anyway. If you've not got the sliding armrest, fear not. It's a straight swop. Just 2 screws involved. Moving on...

After doing all of this detective work in finding every last part for installing the original phone. I'd be a fool not too. So I've splashed the cash (Oops. I've used an expression again. Sorry) and bought all of the parts required. I've also bout all of the parts needed to fit the CD autochanger while I was at it. Yes. I did say that I wouldn't be buying anything until I had sold my Rover 25, but some of the parts that were needed are hard to find (CD changer parts are quite common), so it was a case of striking while the hammer was hot (Damm. I did it again!).

All I have to do is wait for the parts to turn up.

Watch this space....
post #53 of 130 (permalink) Old 17-03-2017, 06:04
Rover Lifestyle

That's the spirit I knew you have. I enjoy reading your texts as this is something I am doing when I am imterested in things. Damn I will have to get myself a Jag, .... one day.... shame I cannot get one for your prices on continent ...
post #54 of 130 (permalink) Old 17-03-2017, 08:00 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverlike View Post
Damn I will have to get myself a Jag, .... one day.... shame I cannot get one for your prices on continent ...
It's ye old story. The further away you go from the point of origin. The more expensive it becomes. Another problem is perception. Over here, Jaguars aren't perceived as luxury cars. They're more 'executive' cars (Not in the same league as Rolls Royce and Bentley). Since Jags are more common here, the prices reflect this.
post #55 of 130 (permalink) Old 18-03-2017, 11:29 Thread Starter

Let's talk literature.

As I've previously mentioned. I'll be fitting the original phone to the Jag (The parts have started to arrive). I've got a copy of the installation instructions, but what I don't have is the user handbook (The CD autochanger is in the standard handbook). A quick hunt on Ebay and I've found a couple that are available. Although I'm not buying one just yet (I want to fit everything first), but I've noticed a couple of things.

When you buy a new car. You get a set amount of handbooks and manuals to go with it. As I browsed the listings, I noticed that I had a few bits missing. I'm missing the 'Quick Guide'. That is a shortened version of the main handbook. It just deals with the controls and the buttons. I'm also missing the accompanying CD. I suspect that the CD was only issued to Jags that were fitted to models that had the CD player in the dash. I also suspect that the CD was an audio guide for the controls and buttons. None of this really matters, as both items are replaceable. Moving on...

Oh, before I go any further. There's a spot of good news. I don't actually need a SIM card or have a mobile phone account to get the phone enabled! Once the phone gets recognised by the ECU (Which I'll get done along with the CD autochanger), a message will pop up saying "Insert SIM" when the phone is switched on. I got this information from pictures of the phone handbook on Ebay. That's one worry out of the way. Now it's time for a bit of finger pointing.

When I went hunting on Ebay for a radio cassette to replace the CD version in the Jag (Why have a CD player when I'll be having a autochanger in the boot?). I noticed a lot of them are offered without the code (Rover suffers in much the same way). As I browsed the Jaguar literature listings, I noticed that some of the listings had the radio code card with the bundle. WTF??? What's the point of selling the code card without the radio? What's the point of selling the radio without the code card?

Breakers. Sort your act out!
post #56 of 130 (permalink) Old 20-03-2017, 20:53 Thread Starter

Retro-fit parts are arriving thick and fast. All of the CD autochanger parts are here. Most of the phone parts have arrived as well. At this time, I have enough parts to complete everything that goes into the boot. With luck (and fine weather), I'll be doing that end of the work this weekend.
post #57 of 130 (permalink) Old 22-03-2017, 18:48 Thread Starter

Some more parts have arrived today and things are going wrong...

From one vendor. I ordered the phone base and a rubber trim mat. The rubber trim mat is correct and fits perfectly. The part number on phone base is correct, but the actual pert is for a Jaguar Startac phone. I've got the Motorola. I can't complain as such, as the part matches the part number. So what has gone wrong?

In short. It's the illustrations on the vendors websites. They're far too small, so they're hard to make out. Magnify them and they're fuzzy. Add to that. They've illustrated all of the phones and the mounting bases, but they're out of sequence. To add insult to injury. The base for the Motorola phone isn't actually illustrated (as I have now found out). So I thought I was buying the correct base, but the correct base isn't available as a separate part. So, what now?

Since I've test fitted the rubber mat (It covers the link lead to the phone), I've found out why the base isn't available as a 2nd hand part. Now. I've criticized breakers for doing a sloppy job. I was wrong! Breakers can't remove the part from the armrest without breaking it. It's very securely clipped in. There's no space to insert a screwdriver to unclip the four 'arms' that hold it in. So, what to do?

I make models for a hobby (We're talking the likes of Airfix, etc). I have also 'scratchbuilt' other stuff. I now have enough information as to what the correct base looks like, that I can make one from scratch. The only downside is that the part will have to be glued in, as opposed to clipped in. It's an irritation, but it'll have to do.
post #58 of 130 (permalink) Old 22-03-2017, 19:15
Rover Lifestyle

Self tapping screws might be helpful?
post #59 of 130 (permalink) Old 22-03-2017, 19:42 Thread Starter

Self tapping screws wouldn't be any help.

The phone armrest for the jag is two level. The upper level holds the phone. The lower level is a general storage area. I could use self tapping screws to secure the base, but they'd be visible when the lower compartment lid is lifted. It's obvious that Jaguar wanted to hide screws, etc, so they went for a clip-in design. Since the base wasn't really designed to be removed once fitted. Gluing in a scratch built base is a reasonable option.

Interestingly enough. The cradle for the actual phone uses screws to attach to the base. However. There's a cover that goes over the screws, so you can't see them.
post #60 of 130 (permalink) Old 23-03-2017, 19:57 Thread Starter

With the abject failure of the Rover 25 to sell on Ebay. I felt the need to indulge in some retail therapy. I've now bought the last remaining parts to 'upgrade' the Jag.

I had previously mentioned that I was ditching the radio/CD player, in favour of a radio/cassette. I've now bought the unit. In a strange twist. The vendor was selling the radio/cassette because he had fitted a radio/CD player. Happily, I bought the unit for 20 Posted. It even comes with its radio code card (Important that). Result! I've also bought five black A4 sheets of PVC foam board. I'll be fabricating a phone base from this. Happily (again), there are good, clear diagrams of what the base looks like in the phone installation instructions.

Hey ho. Life goes on......