The fine art of owning: A Jaguar X-Type. - Page 4 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 135 (permalink) Old 24-03-2017, 18:49 Thread Starter

Car: Jaguar X-Type
Work has begun on the fitting of the CD changer and the phone.

The first thing I had to do was to check the mounting studs for the equipment frame in the boot. It had been written on the Jaguar Forums that one department hadn't talked to another. There were 5 mounting studs in the boot, but 4 holes in the frame. In other words; The frame wouldn't fit, unless a piece was cut out. The Forums were right! I also had to check that the mounting clips for the phone ariel were present on the underside of the rear bumper. They were. Oh. By checking the mounting clips, I found out that I don't have a AWD Jag. Just thought I'd mention it.

I spend a happy hour cutting a piece out of the mounting frame and checking the fit. I can't actually bolt the frame in until I've fitted the ariel. A grommet has to be removed and the lead threaded through. Once that's done, everything will be hunky dory. Mind you. Cleaning the crap form the ariel mounting lugs is going to be fun. Not only is the ariel clipped in. It also has a sticky backed pad to make sure its going nowhere. I also have to be a bit of a contortionist, as the gap between the valance and the silencer isn't all that great.

Let the weekend begin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 135 (permalink) Old 25-03-2017, 14:35 Thread Starter

I'm up to stage with the retro fits. It took a little longer as I first thought, but that was down to one department at Jaguar, not talking to another....... Again!

I had already checked the fit of the frame and cut out a piece to ensure that the fifth stud would be out of the way. I had also previously checked the location of the phones ariel. The ariel was the first thing to be fitted.

It was supposed to be a simple job. Remove the grommet in the boot floor. Clip in the ariel. Feed the cable through the hole and fix the new grommet. Due to a cock-up at Jaguar. The grommet in the boot floor was bigger than the new grommet on the ariels lead. What jerkery is this? Undaunted, I cut a hole in the blanking grommet and superglued the ariel grommet into it. Since everything gets hidden behind a carpet panel. This bodge can't be seen when the installation is done.

Now. The remaining installation of the frame, CD autochanger and the phone module went like clockwork. I even loaded up the CD cartridge and checked function. It worked perfect. Of course. The CD changer (and the phone) won't actually work until the ECU is told that these units have been fitted, but that's another matter. I had to do some cutting of the carpet to accommodate the wider panel that I had just fitted. That took a bit of time. The carpet in the Jag is damm thick! It make the carper in a Rover look as thick as a piece of paper.

The last job for now was the fitting of the hands free microphone to the cabin courtesy light unit. I've mentioned before that Jags are well put together. What a faff it was, getting that light unit out! It's only clipped in, but the clips didn't want to undo. How I managed to get it off without breaking it still amazes me. As expected, the loom for the microphone was present. It took a little finding as it had been stuck out of sight in the headlining. Once the microphone had been fitted to the light unit. The unit was replaced. Job done (for now). Now for a word on the microphone.

I've fitted the correct and original part. However. Owners have complained that the original fitment microphone isn't very good. The part has since been superseded with a better part. There's a problem with the new part though. It's fitted outside of the courtesy light unit, but it's still wired to the original loom. This means cutting a slot in the light to allow the wire to pass through. It also means that it's obvious that the car has a phone. I don't like that. Most cars have aftermarket holders for mobile phone added to them. When you leave the car. You take the phone with you. The Jaguars Motorola phone is 'hardwired' to the car. I like the presence of a phone completely hidden (and keeping it original to boot).

Once the radio cassette arrives. I'll be finishing off the phones installation. The centre console has to come apart to fit both things, so it'll be a 2 in 1 job. Then I'll have somebody to update the ECU.
post #63 of 135 (permalink) Old 27-03-2017, 20:18 Thread Starter

While I'm waiting for the remaining upgrade parts to arrive. I thought I'd look into what I'd need to do, to get the phone working. I'm talking compatible networks and SIM cards here.

I have a GSM phone. It's some sort of global thing. In other words: My phone should work anywhere in the world. What has been awkward to find is the level of the phone system. I've only managed to find that it's not 4G. So it's either 2 or 3G. Now. There are different issues of the phone module that goes in the boot. I bought the highest level module AH (AD is a lower level, etc). It's highly likely that my phone will be 3G. Not one to live in hope, I checked the network coverage for all levels. 3G had the highest coverage, but it's quite surprising that the 2G coverage is still extensive. Having said that (Living in Devon), there's no signal on Exemoor and Dartmoor. Moving swiftly along.....

Reading around the Jaguar forums, it appears that the actual Motorola phone is locked. There've been a number of people who've tried a number of SIM's in their phones, only to find that some don't work. The reducto being: If you want the phone to work first time. You're stuck with the service that has a poor reputation (According to a number of articles on the web). Sadly. I'll have to get a Pay as you Go SIM from Vodaphone. It's true that other services use the Vodaphone network (So their SIMs should work), but Vodaphone is the only SIM that's 'guaranteed' to work. At least the SIM's are dirt cheap!

post #64 of 135 (permalink) Old 28-03-2017, 19:27 Thread Starter

I've just spent a pleasant evening scratch building the base for the phone.

I had ordered 5 sheets of black A4 plasticard. They arrived today. I only really needed 1, but I'd be using the other 4 for other things. I didn't 5 sheets of A4. I got 5 sheets of A3. I still only 1 A4 sized sheet. Now I've got the equivalent of 9 A4 sheets left! No wonder it was so expensive. Note to Vendors. A3 is twice the size of A4.

It was when I was removing the armrest from the Jag, that I noticed something. There. Next to the change lever on the gearbox, is a button with the letter S on it. I've never noticed it before. I thought I didn't have that button. Yes folks. I do have Sport mode! Well I never.

The phone is now assembled to the armrest. The armrest is currently sat on a box in here. I'll put it back into the Jag tomorrow. Then I'll dismantle the centre console to hook up the wire.
Roverlike and Dorchester like this.
post #65 of 135 (permalink) Old 28-03-2017, 20:59
Supporter

Car: Rover 25 1.4 110bhp 3d petrol 2002 MNX 45k ml / Fiat Punto convertible 1995 Bertone 1.6 90bhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun! View Post
Next to the change lever on the gearbox, is a button with the letter S on it. I've never noticed it before. I thought I didn't have that button. Yes folks. I do have Sport mode! Well I never.
Congratulations! You should open a good bottle of Champagne: that's quintessential to a Jag owner! (sorry I haven't found the convenient glass!!)
post #66 of 135 (permalink) Old 29-03-2017, 19:27 Thread Starter

It's utterly bizarre. I've no idea how I managed to miss that button. It was in plain sight all of the time. Yet I was positive that I didn't have it. I haven't ruled out the magic pixies yet. They may have snuck in and fitted it, while I was asleep. And in other news.....

The final upgrade part arrived today. It's the radio cassette. Hopefully, the weather will be kind this weekend and I can swop out the CD player and hook up the phone connector. I've downloaded all of the needed guides, so I shouldn't run into any problems. Then it'll be a case of getting to a Jaguar dealer to get the upgrades activated.

There are two dealers here in Devon. One is 40 miles away. The other is 50. I'll probably have to phone them first, as they don't seem to have an E-Mail address (Bloody corporate Jaguar website). I'm not looking forward to phoning them as I'd have to put on my best plummy voice and pretend to be some sort of Company executive. They'll be in for a shock when I turn up in jeans and jumper. I can see it now. I'll be walking in through the main entrance, only to be greeted by some salesman in a three piece suit, who'll tell me that the tradesman entrance is around the back.

Hey ho.
Dorchester likes this.
post #67 of 135 (permalink) Old 30-03-2017, 05:04
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape' & Rover 600
First of all, when you phone them introduce yourself with first and last name. You will be on the level as you are expecting for them to know who you are.
After that say what you need to do and ask for slot, because you cannot wait since you are extremly busy man.

Jeans and jumper is not a problem. It is important how you wear them. Jeans with shoes instead of trainers and jumper over your shoulders which is not actualy put on, just casualy hanging there with sleeves in front, provides smart casual look which is good for executives.

You have to come to sort some car issues and you are not in your best suit for that, of course.
Dorchester likes this.
post #68 of 135 (permalink) Old 30-03-2017, 20:33 Thread Starter

Saturday is going to be a busy day. Not only is my old Rover being collected, but I'll be finishing off the phone installation on the Jag.

It's going to be really strange being here after the Rover is gone. Who'd of thought that a blog about a Jag would be written on an MG-Rover forum.

Strange days ahead!
post #69 of 135 (permalink) Old 31-03-2017, 05:03
Rover Lifestyle

Where else, on other forums or so, you would find such friendly bunch of enthusiasts? That is the reason why you are still here, I suppose, n'est-ce pas?
Dorchester likes this.
post #70 of 135 (permalink) Old 31-03-2017, 14:45
Supporter

Car: Rover 25 1.4 110bhp 3d petrol 2002 MNX 45k ml / Fiat Punto convertible 1995 Bertone 1.6 90bhp
Quote:
Saturday is going to be a busy day. Not only is my old Rover being collected, but I'll be finishing off the phone installation on the Jag.

It's going to be really strange being here after the Rover is gone. Who'd of thought that a blog about a Jag would be written on an MG-Rover forum.

Strange days ahead!
In order to know whether you deserve it

https://www.motoring.co.uk/car-quiz/the-jaguar-quiz_749
post #71 of 135 (permalink) Old 31-03-2017, 15:45 Thread Starter

I didn't do very well. only 3 out of 10. Anything historical, I got right. Anything modern. Well.......
post #72 of 135 (permalink) Old 31-03-2017, 16:00
Supporter

Quote:
I didn't do very well. only 3 out of 10. Anything historical, I got right. Anything modern. Well.......
Now you're ready to improve your skills! I know you won't give up...
post #73 of 135 (permalink) Old 31-03-2017, 18:53 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverlike View Post
Where else, on other forums or so, you would find such friendly bunch of enthusiasts? That is the reason why you are still here, I suppose, n'est-ce pas?
That and, err. Well, I was sorta asked to do a Thread on the Jag.
post #74 of 135 (permalink) Old 31-03-2017, 19:19
Rover Lifestyle

Quote:
That and, err. Well, I was sorta asked to do a Thread on the Jag.
Of course you were asked, because we do like to read your, lets call them, blogs. If you would like to call them diferently, please do.
I say "we", because it is more than only me, as far as I can tell.
Dorchester likes this.
post #75 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 11:11 Thread Starter

I've just spent an interesting couple of hours installing the radio-cassette player and connecting the phone to the main loom.

As I've previously mentioned. I had downloaded the instructions for various installation of parts. These gave illustrations as to which panel had to come off and which screw had to be removed. Very handy! Everything came apart as it should. Well, almost. There's always one screw that doesn't want to play. I have this theory. The 'awkward screw' is deliberately designed. This screw is then randomly put into a parts bin. When the car is assembled. The 'awkward screw' is randomly fixed into the car. Why, I don't know. However, you always manage to find it! Moving on.....

The radio-CD player was the first to come out. As it was removed, a couple of bits of paper fell onto the floor. One of those bits of paper was a Lottery ticket from 2013. OK, the deadline for claiming was long gone, but I just had to know. Was it a winner? I jumped onto the interweb to find out. More later.

With the radio-CD player replaced with the radio-cassette. The unit was re-installed back into the dashboard. Before anything else was done, the unit was tested. The radio worked fine. I tried a cassette, but it wouldn't go in. After some head scratching, I lifted the cassette flap. There was already a cassette in there. Phew! I ejected that cassette and inserted one of mine. The cassette player worked perfectly. I did a quick tune of the radio to ensure correct functioning. Everything was fine. It was then onto the phone loom.

Although getting the centre console apart was easy. Putting it back together after connecting the phone to the main loom was a sod. Everything had to be jiggled about, in order to get the holes lined up again. There's a bracket that sits inside the console. The bottom screws to the body. The top screws to the armrest, where the phone sits. So you've got 3 thing that have to sit together, but the only things that hold them together are the screws. What a faff! Got it done though.

Once everything was back together. It was time to do a more thorough check of everything (I'm not at home to Mr Cock-up). Everything I had taken apart and put back together again worked as it should. I still need to completely tune the radio (I've only done the FM stations), but I don't tend to use MW and LW much. Out of curiosity, I pressed the CD autochanger button. It came on! I couldn't believe it. It didn't come on when I had my original radio-CD player, but there it was. Playing! Even the steering wheel controls worked. If the CD autochanger worked. What about the phone? I just had to know. I pressed the button on the radio and .............. It came on! Would you believe it? I lifted the armrest and looked at the phone itself. The display on the phone was working! The display on the radio even said that I had a signal. Considering that the Jaguar Forums I looked at, said that I would have to go to a Jaguar dealer to get the ECU sorted. I now know that I don't have too. Result!!!!! All I need now is a SIM card and I'm in business. So much for Jaguar Forums.

Oh. I almost forgot. The Lottery ticket. I did check. Sorry. It only had 1 number. Lose!
post #76 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 11:19
Rover Lifestyle

Good result. I am happy for you.

Now you do not need to utilise suggestilns how to approach Jaguar dealers...
post #77 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 12:37
Supporter

Congratulations! You're a (five) star(s) and a lucky man as well!
And I chuckled reading your "awkward screw" theory: how true it is!
post #78 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 13:37 Thread Starter

Right. Here's the final update for the moment.

Since I don't own a mobile phone and that I've no idea how the Jags phone works. I've bought the handbook for it. Even though I've been pressing assorted buttons on the radio and the handset itself. I have a fair idea of how its supposed to work. The only thing I can say for certain is; Without a SIM in the phone. It'll only work for emergency calls. I've also bought an el-cheapo SIM for it. It's a Pay as you Go job as the phone won't be used much. I'll be quite chuffed if I can actually make phone calls on it (Considering the age of the phone). THis brings me onto the subject of phone SIMs.

I've really looked around for a SIM that would suit my needs. Well. I don't actually have a need as such. I just happen to have a phone. I can only see the phone being used for 'emergencies' (Breakdowns, crashes, whatever), but there doesn't seem to be a SIM that covers this sort of situation. To my mind, there's a gap in the market. Hear me out on this one.

What I want is an inactive SIM in the phone. The SIM would have a set amount of credit on it (You'd buy it with the credit already loaded). Let's say the SIM has 5 pre-loaded. When a situation occurs. You punch in the activation code, so the SIM becomes 'live'. You can use that SIM until either; The 5 credit runs out, or for a time period of 30 days. After that, you throw the SIM away and insert another.

I've come very close to finding a SIM that'll do this. I've found pre-loaded SIM's and time limit SIMS, but not both at the same time. Annoying that.
post #79 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 17:17
Rover Lifestyle

If you have any picture of the finjshed product, I would love to see it...
post #80 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 17:47 Thread Starter

I take it you mean the installed phone?