Your wish is my command.

Dorchester likes this.
post #83 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 18:28
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
This looks realy nice. Thank you!

post #84 of 110 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 10:14 Thread Starter

Car: Jaguar X-Type
While I'm waiting for the phones SIM to arrive. I thought it would be a good idea to check the phones IMEI number.

For those who don't know. The phones IMEI number is effectively the phones serial number. Since phones get lost or stolen. The phone can be blocked or blacklisted via the aforementioned IMEI number. Although I don't have a phone that's considered vulnerable (The IMEI number is held in the module that's in the boot and not the handset), the possibility remains that the donor Jag could've been stolen and broken up. Better to be safe than sorry.

After punching in *#06# on the handset, I got the 15 digit IMEI code. Now. There are a number of websites out there that'll give you information about your phone. The ones where you pay for the information will give you a complete readout in one go. The free ones will give you little bits. I visited a number of the free websites and found out everything I wanted to know. The most important bit was; My phone isn't blocked or blacklisted.

Neat!
post #85 of 110 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 16:45 Thread Starter

The Vodafone SIM arrived today. I went out (pretty much straight away when I got home) to test the phone. As expected, the phone accepted the Vodafone SIM (This confirms what the Jaguar Forums have been saying). Once the SIM had registered itself, things lot a little weird.

Now, as I've mentioned before. I'm a complete noob when it comes to mobile phones. The first thing to happen was the receipt of a text message. However, I couldn't read it. The phone said 'Incompatible Format'. I was guessing that it was some sort of confirmation text, so I disregarded it. I didn't delete it as I may be able to change a setting later. Oh. I should point out, that I've bought a handbook for the phone, but it hasn't arrived yet. I think you can now understand why I didn't delete the text. What's more, I got another text from someone I've never heard of. I couldn't do anything with that either. Things got stranger. I pressed some random buttons and got a stored directory. The phone still had the numbers from the previous owner! They were marked 'Factory. Home' and some woman's name. Suffice to say, I didn't call any of them. Once the handbook arrives. I'll find out how to delete them.

I made one phone call to 'er indoors'. The phone works! The quality of the incoming sound is rather good (Just like a land line), but the outgoing sound from the handset wasn't as good. I'm not all that worried. It's a known issue with these phones (Compression). I have yet to test the hands free equipment. I'll have to wait until the handbook arrives to test that.

Although I've got a Vodafone SIM. It's only a temporary thing. It's one of those 'Top up every 30 days or you SIM dies' things. Completely useless in my view. I'd be topping up once a month (Potentially ending up with hundreds of pounds of credit) for a phone that hardly gets any use. After 30 days without use. Poof! all gone. This brings me onto 'locked phones'.

Considering the age of the phone. The chances that it's still locked are very low. No matter though. Having done my homework, I'm going for an O2 SIM. Their Pay as you Go service is expensive (5p per minute for everything), but there's no time limit. I'll have to get one before the Vodafone SIM expires (Logistics here).

Things are going rather well!
post #86 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 19:38 Thread Starter

The manual for the phone arrived today. It's pretty thick! It also baffled the hell out of me. I suppose for those who own a mobile phone, some of the features are useful. I suspect that some others don't get used. I certainly don't intend to sent text messages as it's a total faff to do so. With only a standard phone pad to work with. Jiggered if I'm scrolling through letters to get the one I want. I now know why people used 'text speak' all those years ago. Thankfully, things have moved on. Mind you. I think I'll spend a little time and effort writing a reply (and saving it) to the effect of; There was something wrong with your text message. All I received was gibberish. Please send again, using English.

The biggest mystery of the phone system has been solved. I couldn't understand why there was a SIM slot in the main phone module that's in the boot. Why have a SIM slot in the boot, when a SIM normally goes in the phone? The simple answer is; Internet.

The stock phone is a Motorola M8989. It's old. Out of date. Obsolete. However, the internet was well established in 2002 when the phone was fitted. Those designers at Jaguar were pretty smart. All you have to do was; Unplug the phone from its socket in the arm rest. Then plug in a lead from your laptop. The system detects that the phone is missing (along with the SIM), so it defaults to the SIM in the main module. The laptop could then be connected to the internet on a dial up basis. Now. As it happens. I have a laptop. The correct modem and the correct lead. However (not that I wouldn't try it). There's one big problem. In order to access the SIM tray in the module. I'd have to take the carpet panel out of the boot. There's no way I'm going to do that! I suspect that a SIM would've been fitted by a dealer as an option upon sale. It certainly wouldn't been a Pay as you Go SIM. A Contract SIM for a Company Exec would be more likely.

Interesting though.
post #87 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 12:39 Thread Starter

The O2 SIM arrived yesterday. I didn't do anything until today. Suffice to say. My phone is unlocked! I had suspected as much. Considering the age of the phone (Around 10 years), the chances that it was still locked was pretty low. And now for a word on mobile phone tariffs.

It's going to be pretty hard not to sound like an advert, so I'm going to say; I'm not making any recommendations. I just calling it as I see it.

Because of the phone I have. I'm using Pay as you Go SIMS. I'm not interested in the Data side of things, as I'd need a separate SIM that would go into the phone module in the boot. I'm not really interested in the Text side of things, as it's such a faff to compose one on the handset that I have (Receiving them is OK though). I'm only interested in making actual phone calls (Voice. Remember that. You know. Actually talking to somebody?). Originally, I bought a Vodafone SIM that had 10 of credit. That SIM gave me: 150 minutes of voice. 500MB of Data and unlimited Texts. Doesn't sound too shabby does it? Then I looked around and bought an O2 Classic Pay as you Go SIM. That charges me: 5p a minute for Voice. 5p a Text. 5p per MB of Data. Sounds expensive doesn't it. You wouldn't believe the ruckus I've seen on Notice Boards about this. "Rip off" being a common phrase. So why the hell did I buy the O2 SIM? I'll tell you. The secret is in the small print and on the screen of a calculator.

Remember that I said that 10 buys you 150 Minutes of Voice on the Vodafone SIM? Well. That works out at 6.66p per minute. The O2 SIM is 5p per minute for Voice. That's 200 minutes! So which is cheaper? There's more.

The Vodafone SIM has to be 'Topped up' every month, or you lose the SIM and any remaining credit. The O2 SIM only has to be 'Topped up' once every 6 months. So which is cheaper. 10 a month, or 10 every 6 months? It makes you wonder if the complainers ever read the small print. Moving swiftly along....

The final upgrade is now in hand. I've bought a set of LED bulbs for the cabin of the Jag. They should arrive in time for the Easter break. At least I'll be able to see what I'm doing in the dark.
post #88 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 19:22 Thread Starter

It's funny story time!

Naturally, I've been perusing the Jaguar based Forums. One comment that turns up time and time again, comes from X-Type owners that have the built in sat-nav. Now. I've previously mentioned that I would have to go to a Jaguar dealer to get the CD changer and phone features added to the ECU memory (but found that I didn't have to). Owners that have the sat-nav don't have to do this, as the software is part of the sat-nav system itself. You just punch in the 'secret' code and upgrade. Anyway. Owners were confused as to why you could change the introduction screen (What you first see when the sat-nav comes on) from Jaguar to Daimler. Well folks. I've done some digging and I've found the answer. Here it is:

2006 Daimler Super Eight 4dr | eBay

It's the Daimler version of the X-Type Jaguar. Until now. I didn't know it existed!

At least we know. I'm not telling the Jaguar owners though. Tee-hee!
post #89 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 20:39
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Are you saying that your car is one of those rare Super Eights?

gnu
post #90 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 20:51 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
Are you saying that your car is one of those rare Super Eights?
I wish. I don't even have sat-nav. Also. I did say that I didn't know that the Daimler version existed. You've got to admit though. The Daimler Super Eight is a nice car.
post #91 of 110 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 20:22 Thread Starter

The LED bulbs arrived today. I only had time to fit a couple of them. I was a little disappointed with the result. Somehow, they weren't as bright as the bulbs I had in my old Rover 25. I had a leftover bulb from the Rover, so I fitted that to use as a direct comparison. Nope. It's me. The bulbs are the same brightness. It's probably due to the light grey of the Rover, reflecting more light than the black interior of the Jag.

I'll fit the remaining bulbs over the weekend.
post #92 of 110 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 19:07 Thread Starter

Standby for a rant!

OK. Who designed the front courtesy light unit for the Jag? That person ought to be taken out and shot!!!!

The X-Type Jag has 2 courtesy light units. One at the front, by the rear view mirror. The other is in the conventional place in the middle of the roof. The rear one is easy enough to get off. Just poke the retaining clip with a screwdriver and it pops off. Simple! The front one. That's a different matter.

Although I have removed it before. It was a devil to do. Instead of the lever of the clip facing outwards (So you can push it with a screwdriver). The 4 yes FOUR clips have their levers facing inwards! The only way to remove the unit is to force it off! It gets worse.

Under normal circumstances, to change a bulb, you only need to remove the lens. Not on the Jag you don't. The entire unit comes off. It's not so bad for the rear light unit, as it's still connected to the wiring loom. The bulb fitment can be checked before the light unit is refitted. No so on the front light unit.

The front light unit has this weird pin and socket arrangement. You pull of the light unit, but the bulb assembly remains in place. There's 4 pins on the light unit and 4 sockets on the bulb assembly. Just how can you make sure that the bulbs work without banging the light unit back into place? If you're fitting LED bulbs. The situation is made a lot worse. You could fit any one of the three bulbs that go into the unit the wrong way around. The potential for damage is enormous.

Bad design. BAD DESIGN!!

For a set of white LED bulbs. The ones I have certainly have a blue hue. The ones I had in the Rover were a pure white. I'll have to remember where I got them from and get some more.
post #93 of 110 (permalink) Old 13-04-2017, 17:00 Thread Starter

I have a cunning plan...........

Due to the idiotic way that the front courtesy was designed. I've bought a second one. This one I'll strip down, so only the switches and the plug in terminals remain. I'll be able to plug in the remaining part into the loom of the Jag, while still having access to the bulbs. Then I'll be able to ensure that the LED bulbs work before the complete original light unit goes back on!
Roverlike and Dorchester like this.
post #94 of 110 (permalink) Old 15-04-2017, 19:31 Thread Starter

I had a bit of time on my hands, so I thought I'd replace a few more bulbs with LED's. First up was the bulb in the boot light. That went in easy. Then I thought I'd change the bulb that goes in the glove box. This is where things went wrong...

The bulb in the glove box is one of those capless ones. I can't remember the designation, but it's all glass with the terminal wires folded over the glass at the bottom. Let's move on.

The bulb is located behind a shroud. The shroud is part of the glove boxes inner moulding. Because the bulb is so close to the shroud. There's no way you can get a decent grip on the bulb to get it out. I tried to get the bulb out for around 10 minutes. I just couldn't get a decent grip on it. In the end, I gave up. The original bulb can stay there (Yes, it does work). However. What do you do if the bulb is broken?

Bad design. BAD DESIGN!!
post #95 of 110 (permalink) Old 16-04-2017, 04:52
Rover Lifestyle

You mean bulb is T10 one? Maybe to try with tweezers? But gentle not to break it.
post #96 of 110 (permalink) Old 16-04-2017, 06:34 Thread Starter

I've tried tweezers. It didn't work. They slid straight off. I even tried some blu-tac to increase the grip. That didn't work either.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is; Superglue a piece of tube to the bulb (so the tube extends beyond the shroud). Then pull it out.
post #97 of 110 (permalink) Old 16-04-2017, 09:19
Rover Lifestyle

When you look at T10 bulb:

You can see that it has area at the end of bulb wide part where it passes to narrow part with wires. If you can catch it there with tweezers you should be able to get much more grip to take it out.
post #98 of 110 (permalink) Old 16-04-2017, 09:59 Thread Starter

I can't get the tweezers in there. The bulb is well seated and the shroud is in the way.
post #99 of 110 (permalink) Old 16-04-2017, 10:05
Rover Lifestyle

Then can you try to wiggle it out, meaning, push a little left, then right, on the axle connecting these two wires on the bulb?
post #100 of 110 (permalink) Old 16-04-2017, 10:18 Thread Starter

I did spend a fair amount of time trying to wiggle it out. The problem was still the lack of access. I simply can't get my fingers far enough into the shroud, to get a good grip on the bulb.