The fine art of owning: A Jaguar X-Type. - Page 6 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #101 of 124 (permalink) Old 16-04-2017, 10:22
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape' & Rover 600
Then rubber tube with appropriate inner diameter to come tightly over the bulb to take it out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 124 (permalink) Old 16-04-2017, 11:10 Thread Starter

Car: Jaguar X-Type
Yup. That's pretty much the plan!
post #103 of 124 (permalink) Old 19-04-2017, 17:55 Thread Starter

The spare interior light unit arrived today. It took a little time to strip it down to make it usable, but I managed it without breaking anything. Then it was out to the Jag.

With the original light unit removed and the modified one in its place. It was an absolute breeze swopping the bulbs for LED's.

Result!

Still got the glovebox lamp to do though.....

post #104 of 124 (permalink) Old 28-04-2017, 18:34 Thread Starter

I had a quick look at my average mpg today. As a result of urban driving and use of the kickdown. I've got it to under 20mpg! I'm off for a long trip tomorrow. I wonder if I can get the average above 33.2mpg?
post #105 of 124 (permalink) Old 28-04-2017, 18:49

Car: Rover 25 IL, 1.6V, 5 Door Hatch, 2001, Manual, Petrol, 1396cc, 62000-miles.
You gotta love the look of those beauties, haven't you?

Pretty much all the Rovers are lookers, in their own right, also in my humble opinion.

Lovely looking car. I hope you enjoy driving it as much as I like looking at it.

Bunny
post #106 of 124 (permalink) Old 28-04-2017, 19:30 Thread Starter

Rovers have one thing that many other cars don't. That's the distinctive radiator grille As soon as you see the car. You know it's a Rover. Almost every other car is almost an 'annoybox'.

I really wanted a Rover 75 'Connie'. I like them because they're understated. However. Owners tend to hang on to them, so I had to settle for the next best thing. The X-Type Jag has been very satisfying to own thus far. The seats are a little hard, but having said that. My butt took some time getting used to the seats in the Rover 400 and 25 that I previously had.

Are X-Type Jags a viable alternative to the Rover 75 'Connie'? I'd have to say "Yes", but only to the facelift 75's.
post #107 of 124 (permalink) Old 29-04-2017, 17:57 Thread Starter

Well. My attempt to get the average mpg above 30 again fell flat on its face. I didn't reset the trip computer correctly. I pressed the Reset button until "Trip A Resetting" (There is also a 'Trip B') appeared and then I released the button. What I should've done was: Pressed the reset button until "Trip A Resetting" appeared and then disappeared before releasing the button. Whoops! As a result. I've got no results!
post #108 of 124 (permalink) Old 29-04-2017, 19:27
Supporter

Car: Rover 25 1.4 110bhp 3d petrol 2002 MNX 45k ml / Fiat Punto convertible 1995 Bertone 1.6 90bhp
You seem to have got a thirsty beast!
Under 20mpg!
I'm so pleased with my good old 25 and her 45,7mpg!
But it's obvious that prestige, respect & consideration are on the Jag side.
post #109 of 124 (permalink) Old 29-04-2017, 19:58 Thread Starter

The lowest mpg recorded was 19.6. I got it to 20.2 when I checked it when I got home. However. That was an average over a distance of roughly 500 miles. This also contains the 33mpg recorded when I first drove the Jag home when I bought it. What the Jag is actually returning is currently unknown. Now that I've found out to correctly reset the trip computer. I'll be able to give more accurate figures. At this time, the Jag is returning the mpg that is stated in the handbook (20 urban circuit. 30 open road). The extra thirst comes from blowing off BMW's and Audi's. Well. It has to be done.
post #110 of 124 (permalink) Old 29-04-2017, 21:22
Supporter

Car: Rover 25 1.4 110bhp 3d petrol 2002 MNX 45k ml / Fiat Punto convertible 1995 Bertone 1.6 90bhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun! View Post
The extra thirst comes from blowing off BMW's and Audi's. Well. It has to be done.
So hats off and my warmest congratulations!
post #111 of 124 (permalink) Old 30-04-2017, 07:39

Car: Rover 75 CDT Auto 2002
We have a facelift x type. 3rd one since the 75 tourer we had was given to the in laws. One thing i could never understand is the complete lack of dual zone climate control across the entire range. Bizarrely, the handbook talks about it but i think that is just a cut and paste from the s type or xj handbook documents.
Unlike the facelift 75, the x facelift is a massive improvement. Imo.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
post #112 of 124 (permalink) Old 30-04-2017, 16:55 Thread Starter

Another thing that the X-Type handbook talks about, is the rear window sun screen. Although it's manually operated (Unlike the electric one in the Rover 75), I've yet to see one fitted. The indentations for the two hooks are present on the roof lining, but nothing else. I have to wonder if it ever existed.

Apparently, Jaguar made around 500 changes for the facelift X-Type. How many were improvements are currently unknown. Some owners of the facelift Jag have commented that there were a few deletions. One deletion that pops up a lot is the 'accessory' loom in the boot is missing (The one for the phone and voice control). It appears that the CD changer is unaffected.

I've said before that I think the X-Type is a viable alternative to the Rover 75. But not the facelift Rover.
post #113 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 12:28

Car: Rover 75 CDT Auto 2002
The x type facelift in term or looks is a massive improvement imo. And the addition of the 6 speed auto to the 2.2d. People whinge about the dpf but not had any issues with it so far.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
post #114 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 18:36 Thread Starter

There's someone where I work who has the facelift X-Type (He's a Manager and I'm a mere grunt. Ho ho ho!). At first glance, you wouldn't notice the difference between mine and his Jag. The differences are very subtle. Mind you. The differences you can see still ooze quality (unlike the facelift Rover 75).
post #115 of 124 (permalink) Old 13-05-2017, 09:22 Thread Starter

Due to the weather conditions yesterday. I went full auto with the wipers and headlights. Here are my observations......

The auto wipers are probably the most annoying thing ever fitted to the Jag. When I first bought it. The wipers were on auto. It was also a fine sunny day (Pretty strange for Feb). It had been raining though. As I drove home. I passed through some country roads with over hanging trees (There's a lot of these in Devon). The wipers would randomly wipe away the odd spot of water that fell from the trees. Although this wasn't annoying. I did find it distracting, so I switched them off.

We had light rain yesterday. Under these circumstances, I'd switch the wipers to intermittent (The frequency is selectable on the Jag). I switched to auto to see what would happen. The experiment didn't last long. Not only did the wipers go off at random. The speed of the wipe was random as well. I'd get: Slow, slow, fast, slow, fast, fast, slow, fast, etc, etc. Damm annoying! So what about the auto lights.

The auto lights are an interesting idea. Considering the number of buffoons on the road, that can't decide when to switch the lights on. Having auto lights would be a good idea.

There's a sensor in the rear view mirror that detects the level of light (This mirror also has sensors that detect liquid on the windscreen and operate the wipers. A rear view sensor operates the auto dimming mirror as well). Once the light falls below a certain level. The lights come on. Simple! Another bonus is that the lights will switch themselves off when the key is removed from the ignition. Another bonus! No more leaving the lights on (Good if you're hard of hearing and can't hear the alarm). There's one small thing that I'm not keen on though. If it's dark. As soon as you turn the key in the ignition, the lights come on. I'm not happy with the idea with the lights coming on before the engine starts. Still a good feature though.
post #116 of 124 (permalink) Old 13-05-2017, 21:17

I know it's a different make but my fiesta St had the auto wipers. I used to find with a light dusting of rain they couldn't make up their mind what to do and went mad. With moderate rain they worked fine, and in quite heavy rain they went mad and went on fastest mode. Same as you I usually controlled mine manually as it annoyed the crap out of me.
I thought the auto headlights were OK but again never really used them much. The feature I did like was home safe where if you flicked the headlights on and off with the ignition off but key in the headlights would stay on for 30 seconds so you could walk up the drive. That's one thing I miss with the zr...
post #117 of 124 (permalink) Old 14-05-2017, 05:10
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape' & Rover 600
Follow me home lights is something which can be added with some relays and wiring...
post #118 of 124 (permalink) Old 14-05-2017, 07:26 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsto View Post
The feature I did like was home safe where if you flicked the headlights on and off with the ignition off but key in the headlights would stay on for 30 seconds so you could walk up the drive. That's one thing I miss with the zr...
The Jag has a similar feature, but the Handbook is somewhat vague about its operation. There's a button on the key fob that activates the feature. I've yet to try it, but it appears to switch on the headlights and 'beep' the alarm. It looks like 'Where's my car in this car park' thing. If you press the button repeatedly, it activates the panic alarm. Apparently, all hell breaks loose!
post #119 of 124 (permalink) Old 26-05-2017, 16:46 Thread Starter

One thing I love about the Jag. That's climate control. I can select whatever temperature I want (Within the limitations of the unit) and off you go. With this weather (lovely), the air con is set to 'tilt'. Hmmmmm. Coooool.
post #120 of 124 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:49 Thread Starter

We had a massive thunder storm here at 3am this morning. It was like being in the middle of an artillery barrage (You've must've seen old war footage like it). I watched it for around 15 minutes. It's now a lot cooler. The upshot being; I have to reset the climate control.