MG-Rover.org Forums banner

MG5 getting a bashing in the press?

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Windy 
#1 ·
Just a quickie......

Ive seen a couple of posts on the forum where people have claimed that the MG5 isnt having an easy time of it in the Chinese media tests?! I just wondered what truth there was in this and how well it has been received in China.

Anyone got more links or info?

Thanks.

#2 ·
I was thinking of posting the same question!

Interestingly, the MG5 is one of very few cars that sold more in February than in January!

In comparison, Toyota sales in China where down 45.7% in February, second only to the company’s sales drop of 48.9 percent in September 2012", In September MG-Roewe were up at 120% and in February at 100.2%. February was bad this year due to the lunar new year. Toyata are suffering from the suicidal actions of their government!

#3 ·
538, 571 respectively for January and February. Increased by 33. Big deal.

I have test-driven MG5. My impression is the car is not very refined. Many things wait to be optimized and improved over time. NVH isn't very good, even though I saw quite a bit of sound insulation under the hood and else where. That tells quite a bit about its engineering. The powertrain is definitely sluggish, with its 1.5 liter engine. It is just not a very compelling product. I think the dilemma at SAIC is that it truly wants to maintain MG as an upscale brand. So it doesn't want to cheapen it just for sales growth. But the problem is the underlying product is a mediocre one. MG is supposed to be stylish and sporty with a British slant. Stylish? Maybe. Sporty? Not at all. British? Don't have a clue. And I haven't mention its mediocre build quality and engineering. How do you maintain a price premium for a product like this? The biggest problem as a see it is SAIC's lack of a class leading engine. With a good engine, you can talk about sporty. You can talk about fuel economy. You can talk about riding comfort. MG desperately needs a good engine, something like from Honda. Well, this has been the century old problem plaguing Rover all along, and I don't see it change much under the SAIC reign. NSE so far is a mediocre product. SGE isn't going to be much different.

#4 ·
The only ones I've seen so far have been saying that the back end is poor and I think one review saying the design is a bit too modern for some customers. Can't remember exactly what site had it but it was one of the China-focussed ones rather than a UK site.

#10 ·
Looks like an MG5 Sport model is being introduced at the Shanghai Auto Show in April:

http://www.carnewschina.com/2013/03/14/sporty-mg5/

The current MG5 seems to be selling well (especially considering the struggling economy). When I was at the MG dealer in Shenzhen earlier this week, they were delivering several new 5's and writing orders for several more. I see them in every car park....

#11 ·
Looks like an MG5 Sport model is being introduced at the Shanghai Auto Show in April:

http://www.carnewschina.com/2013/03/14/sporty-mg5/

The current MG5 seems to be selling well (especially considering the struggling economy). When I was at the MG dealer in Shenzhen earlier this week, they were delivering several new 5's and writing orders for several more. I see them in every car park....
Is this not desevring of a new thread of its own....... looks good news to me ....

#14 ·
The salesman claimed it was a three to four week wait for a stock dealer order car and longer if you wanted a spec they didn't already have on order. I think the turbo motor will boost sales significantly.

http://www.chinacartimes.com/2013/03/mg5-turbo-produces-95kw-will-be-priced-from-125000rmb/

I haven't driven a 5, but more power is always better!:deano:
Thanks, they need to make more of them and shorten the waiting list if they are going to sell many turbos! It seems to be hard to get a coloured one too, unless you are prepared for the longer wait. Getting the Roewe 350 to achieve 10,000 sales per month seems to take priority over MG5 production.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.