New Pics Of the MG5 - Page 2 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #21 of 166 (permalink) Old 20-04-2012, 12:24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: GBR
Car: -
Posts: 24,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren160 View Post
"The Chinese market car will be driven by a 1.8-litre petrol engine producing around 105bhp. European versions will have a variety of engines, which MG desires will include no less than one diesel unit. It had previously already been recommended a range of downsized petrol engines between 1.0 and 1.5-litres and would be available, with power outputs ranging from 115bhp up to 162bhp."

http://www.europecarnews.com/2012/03...ures-released/
Well it's wrong, the only engine at the moment is a nasp 1.5 and that produces more than 105 BHP.
BLMC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 166 (permalink) Old 20-04-2012, 12:25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Car: MG ZR
Posts: 118
Rubbish, I read it on the internet so it must be true.
Lauren160 is offline  
post #23 of 166 (permalink) Old 20-04-2012, 13:54
Supporter
 
SteveChilds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Bilston
Car: ZR TD, ZS 180 in Aurora
Posts: 31,561
Blog Entries: 1
Garages
Send a message via MSN to SteveChilds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren160 View Post
"The Chinese market car will be driven by a 1.8-litre petrol engine producing around 105bhp. European versions will have a variety of engines, which MG desires will include no less than one diesel unit. It had previously already been recommended a range of downsized petrol engines between 1.0 and 1.5-litres and would be available, with power outputs ranging from 115bhp up to 162bhp."

http://www.europecarnews.com/2012/03...ures-released/
hmm, not sure where that came from, the only 1.8 they have is the TCI engine and given its available out there as a 160bhp, without at turbo its either going to be 120 or 135, depending in the version they use.

I suspect someone's got their literage mixed up.

F/TF Hybrid in Firefrost Red
ZS 180 in Aurora
SteveChilds is offline  
 
post #24 of 166 (permalink) Old 20-04-2012, 16:53
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Car: Rover 100, MG ZR+, SEAT Leon SC FR
Posts: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverman View Post
No it doesn't.
Yes it does, as does the MG3. The brand needs a consistent "face" and the MG5 look is much more purposeful and modern than the current one on the MG6.
gshaw is offline  
post #25 of 166 (permalink) Old 19-05-2012, 07:41
Supporter
 
MoonManMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hoddesdon, Herts
Car: MG TF 135 Sprint, MG3 Style LUX, MG ZS 120
Posts: 10,011
Blog Entries: 15
Garages
I've only just come across this thread (yes, I know, I'm rather slow!)

I was at Longbridge last week and in the tech/design area they had a very stunning full size clay model of the MG5. Everyone in our group was of the same opinion.....that it could be the car to rescue MG sales in this country. However, looking at the pics posted above, it bears little resemblance to the clay model, which is a great shame. The model looks like a more sleek and futuristic evolution of what is in the pics.

I want so very much for MG to succeed and do well in the UK and elsewhere, but am sorry to say that I can't see it happening in this country with the current variants of anything that is on offer, or coming along in the next year or two. I really do hope I'm wrong!
MoonManMike is offline  
post #26 of 166 (permalink) Old 19-05-2012, 08:05
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hinckley, Leics.
Car: MG ZR120 + MG3 Form Sport + MG6 GT.
Posts: 3,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonManMike View Post
I've only just come across this thread (yes, I know, I'm rather slow!)

I was at Longbridge last week and in the tech/design area they had a very stunning full size clay model of the MG5. Everyone in our group was of the same opinion.....that it could be the car to rescue MG sales in this country. However, looking at the pics posted above, it bears little resemblance to the clay model, which is a great shame. The model looks like a more sleek and futuristic evolution of what is in the pics.

I want so very much for MG to succeed and do well in the UK and elsewhere, but am sorry to say that I can't see it happening in this country with the current variants of anything that is on offer, or coming along in the next year or two. I really do hope I'm wrong!
Was that possibly the 'concept 5' car you saw?
snifferdog1 is offline  
post #27 of 166 (permalink) Old 19-05-2012, 09:48
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Droitwich Spa
Car: MG 6 GT
Posts: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonManMike View Post
I've only just come across this thread (yes, I know, I'm rather slow!)

I was at Longbridge last week and in the tech/design area they had a very stunning full size clay model of the MG5. Everyone in our group was of the same opinion.....that it could be the car to rescue MG sales in this country. However, looking at the pics posted above, it bears little resemblance to the clay model, which is a great shame. The model looks like a more sleek and futuristic evolution of what is in the pics.

I want so very much for MG to succeed and do well in the UK and elsewhere, but am sorry to say that I can't see it happening in this country with the current variants of anything that is on offer, or coming along in the next year or two. I really do hope I'm wrong!
Mike, the one of the engineers in the tec center, told me that the 5 for the UK & Europe would be more sportingly styled than the China offerings & the same goes for the 3. for example restyled front and rear bumpers & a much better suspension set up with larger wheels. Lets wait and see before we pass jugement. The 3 is due Q1 next year so we should have some indication soon
Steve LE is offline  
post #28 of 166 (permalink) Old 19-05-2012, 16:06
Supporter
 
MoonManMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hoddesdon, Herts
Car: MG TF 135 Sprint, MG3 Style LUX, MG ZS 120
Posts: 10,011
Blog Entries: 15
Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve LE View Post
Mike, the one of the engineers in the tec center, told me that the 5 for the UK & Europe would be more sportingly styled than the China offerings & the same goes for the 3. for example restyled front and rear bumpers & a much better suspension set up with larger wheels. Lets wait and see before we pass jugement. The 3 is due Q1 next year so we should have some indication soon
Interestingly Steve, the pics (link posted above somewhere) show the red MG5 with smaller wheels and the grey one with the larger wheels. The larger wheels imo make a very big difference to the appearance of the car (exactly the same with the MG6). They should do away with the smaller wheels completely as it really does detract from the rest of the car. I hope we do end up with one that looks like the clay model as I'd certainly look at one if I was in the market. MG have to really push the cars and get them in the public eye more. It will be interesting to see what the UK MG3 looks like
MoonManMike is offline  
post #29 of 166 (permalink) Old 19-05-2012, 16:08
Supporter
 
SteveChilds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Bilston
Car: ZR TD, ZS 180 in Aurora
Posts: 31,561
Blog Entries: 1
Garages
Send a message via MSN to SteveChilds
Quote:
Originally Posted by snifferdog1 View Post
Was that possibly the 'concept 5' car you saw?
It would have been, yes.

F/TF Hybrid in Firefrost Red
ZS 180 in Aurora
SteveChilds is offline  
post #30 of 166 (permalink) Old 20-05-2012, 00:35
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: ROCK FERRY, WIRRAL
Car: 25X, 25 1.6, 25 2.0D Rep:■■■■■■■■■■
Posts: 35,367
I want a 3dr !!!!



Just thought i'd mention that, again.
ROVER-25X is offline  
post #31 of 166 (permalink) Old 20-05-2012, 19:20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Suffolk
Car: MG TF 80th Anniversary Edition
Posts: 125
Once again the front end is an absolute pleasure - the rear is an absolute eye sore though - looks massive! Hopefully they will change it for the UK Spec...
layboyuk is offline  
post #32 of 166 (permalink) Old 22-05-2012, 02:20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: ROCK FERRY, WIRRAL
Car: 25X, 25 1.6, 25 2.0D Rep:■■■■■■■■■■
Posts: 35,367
Seen worse mate, its not that bad.
ROVER-25X is offline  
post #33 of 166 (permalink) Old 23-05-2012, 08:02
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Up't Yonder
Car: Land Rover Defender, MINI, Austin Metro
Posts: 4,400
Having seen the new A-Class pics recently I think the 5 has a similar side profile to that, quite low slung at the front and a rather bulbous back end.

Still like it though...
James Riley is offline  
post #34 of 166 (permalink) Old 23-05-2012, 21:39
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Car: Rover 100, MG ZR+, SEAT Leon SC FR
Posts: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve LE View Post
Mike, the one of the engineers in the tec center, told me that the 5 for the UK & Europe would be more sportingly styled than the China offerings & the same goes for the 3. for example restyled front and rear bumpers & a much better suspension set up with larger wheels. Lets wait and see before we pass jugement. The 3 is due Q1 next year so we should have some indication soon
If true there's still hope... the Concept5 rear was spot-on and I haven't heard of anyone who didn't like it... unlike the monstrosity of the Chinese production version.

What MG have to do isn't rocket science, just a case of the UK \ Europe team telling the Chinese stylists to shush and let them get on with making something that looks decent
gshaw is offline  
post #35 of 166 (permalink) Old 23-05-2012, 21:57
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Car: Rover 200 (95-99)
Posts: 20
Mc pherson strut gone ! back to horse and cart technology , the exhaust looks like a halfords bolt on . Did the designer fall asleep when designing the rear bumper ? the wheels look like 2005 civic wheels not very exciting really , Interior looks okay . remember the advert VW ran well the front end is a bit "looks like a Golf but isn't" . The Rover 25 looks more modern . I like MG as much as the next man but this one will only appeal to the older generation perhaps , I think that sleeker lower and give the wheel arches a bit of bulge and bigger rims lower tyre height. I know that i might get shot down in flames for this comment please don't i am new and its just my personal opinion.
KRS Wouldham is offline  
post #36 of 166 (permalink) Old 24-05-2012, 12:00
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Birmingham
Car: scimitar ss1,1800 ti, Bond Bug,MG GS Exclusive, Nissan XTrail Tekna T32
Posts: 3,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS Wouldham View Post
Mc pherson strut gone ! back to horse and cart technology , the exhaust looks like a halfords bolt on . Did the designer fall asleep when designing the rear bumper ? the wheels look like 2005 civic wheels not very exciting really , Interior looks okay . remember the advert VW ran well the front end is a bit "looks like a Golf but isn't" . The Rover 25 looks more modern . I like MG as much as the next man but this one will only appeal to the older generation perhaps , I think that sleeker lower and give the wheel arches a bit of bulge and bigger rims lower tyre height. I know that i might get shot down in flames for this comment please don't i am new and its just my personal opinion.
I don't think they are fitting leaf springs to the MG5 even in China?

The roads in China are different to Europe hence the need for smaller wheels and larger tyres for better ride comfort.

You will find that the Euro version will get a lower suspension and larger wheels
littlechicken is offline  
post #37 of 166 (permalink) Old 25-05-2012, 08:10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Up't Yonder
Car: Land Rover Defender, MINI, Austin Metro
Posts: 4,400
I don't understand the reactions of some people on here, the 5 might not be "just" the way you want it, but why are so many people therefore trying to make out like it's the butt-ugliest car that has ever been created? when it's actually a very nice car all round and very comtemporary?

I just don't understand this kind of childish reaction "I don't quite like it therefore I shall throw a massive paddy and try to kill it dead in it's tracks"

FFS grown up people!
James Riley is offline  
post #38 of 166 (permalink) Old 25-05-2012, 08:35
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Washington
Car: Other Manufacturer
Posts: 19,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Riley View Post
I don't understand the reactions of some people on here, the 5 might not be "just" the way you want it, but why are so many people therefore trying to make out like it's the butt-ugliest car that has ever been created? when it's actually a very nice car all round and very comtemporary?

I just don't understand this kind of childish reaction "I don't quite like it therefore I shall throw a massive paddy and try to kill it dead in it's tracks"

FFS grown up people!
Can you calm down a bit. I usually disagree with you, but normally it's pleasent to read. Chill. Out!

But even though i disagree with mg's new direction. I actually quite like the 5, it looks Agressive, give it a Agressive colour and it's spot on.

It's also worth pointing out that it hasn't even been released yet. They could change everything on the car before its released, they could also change nothing!

And McPherson struts arnt exactly cutting edge technology either. Plus there a pain to maintain
John is offline  
post #39 of 166 (permalink) Old 25-05-2012, 11:24
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Car: MG ZT-T
Posts: 3
Yuk, yuk, yuk
Billy1mate is offline  
post #40 of 166 (permalink) Old 25-05-2012, 11:41
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hinckley, Leics.
Car: MG ZR120 + MG3 Form Sport + MG6 GT.
Posts: 3,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy1mate View Post
Yuk, yuk, yuk
I like it, a well thought out response.
snifferdog1 is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MG-Rover.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MG5, in the open. skyblueads MG / SAIC / Roewe Related Chat 470 05-03-2012 07:39
MG5 spotted, 5 pics shrwcar MG / Rover Related Chat - up to 2005 41 26-07-2011 13:03
MG5 First Spyshots masta949 MG / Rover Related Chat - up to 2005 1 23-07-2011 09:40
Mg5 omg simondhopkins Others 5 17-06-2011 15:17
Would the MG5 be better right now? James Riley MG / SAIC / Roewe Related Chat 21 20-01-2011 22:29

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome