New Pics Of the MG5 - Page 3 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #41 of 166 (permalink) Old 27-05-2012, 21:04
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Car: Rover 200 (95-99)
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlechicken View Post
I don't think they are fitting leaf springs to the MG5 even in China?

The roads in China are different to Europe hence the need for smaller wheels and larger tyres for better ride comfort.

You will find that the Euro version will get a lower suspension and larger wheels
No not leaf springs lol! I meant the sperate ciol springs and shocks sort of early 90's hatchback set up.
KRS Wouldham is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 166 (permalink) Old 27-05-2012, 21:08
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Washington
Car: Other Manufacturer
Posts: 19,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS Wouldham View Post
No not leaf springs lol! I meant the sperate ciol springs and shocks sort of early 90's hatchback set up.
Do you know how many cars still run that?

Quote:
Although it is a popular choice, due to its simplicity and low manufacturing cost, the design has a few disadvantages in the quality of ride and the handling of the car. Geometric analysis shows it cannot allow vertical movement of the wheel without some degree of either camber angle change, sideways movement, or both. It is not generally considered to give as good handling as a double wishbone suspension, because it allows the engineers less freedom to choose camber change and roll center.
John is offline  
post #43 of 166 (permalink) Old 27-05-2012, 21:12
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Car: Rover 200 (95-99)
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Riley View Post
I don't understand the reactions of some people on here, the 5 might not be "just" the way you want it, but why are so many people therefore trying to make out like it's the butt-ugliest car that has ever been created? when it's actually a very nice car all round and very comtemporary?

I just don't understand this kind of childish reaction "I don't quite like it therefore I shall throw a massive paddy and try to kill it dead in it's tracks"

FFS grown up people!
I did ask not to get shot down in flames. Its just my opinion doesn't make me childish just because i don't agree with you . Put it this way lets say you want to build a car and you build a few trial them out and the reaction you get from the public is negative are you going to waste millions making them only for them not to sell because you failed to listen to what your clients want ? Or are you going to take a mean average on opinions and possibly make changes to avoid a train wreck.
KRS Wouldham is offline  
 
post #44 of 166 (permalink) Old 27-05-2012, 23:55
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: ROCK FERRY, WIRRAL
Car: 25X, 25 1.6, 25 2.0D Rep:■■■■■■■■■■
Posts: 35,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy1mate View Post
Yuk, yuk, yuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by snifferdog1 View Post
I like it, a well thought out response.

TROLL !!!!!!
ROVER-25X is offline  
post #45 of 166 (permalink) Old 28-05-2012, 18:06
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Up't Yonder
Car: Land Rover Defender, MINI, Austin Metro
Posts: 4,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS Wouldham View Post
I did ask not to get shot down in flames. Its just my opinion doesn't make me childish just because i don't agree with you . Put it this way lets say you want to build a car and you build a few trial them out and the reaction you get from the public is negative are you going to waste millions making them only for them not to sell because you failed to listen to what your clients want ? Or are you going to take a mean average on opinions and possibly make changes to avoid a train wreck.
Sorry I was not having a go at anyone in particular

I don't think this site can be taken as an average view on matters sadly.

I'm sure clinics have been undertaken on these cars (as is usual) and the fact that cars like Astra/PUG308/Auris sell by the bucketload means that this car will have no problem finding buyers at all. Let's not forget, many people on here have nothing but warmth and fondness as they remember their early 2000's MG's and Rovers yet the rest of the world recoiled at the prospect of buying something that looked like it has just time travelled from 10 years in the past. In the end I think the opinion of the many MG/Rover fans on here was shown to be flawed because the company went bust as no-one else agreed that they were beautifully timeless and well constructed models....


Take the Auris - how many does that sell globally - I suspect a heck of a lot.
James Riley is offline  
post #46 of 166 (permalink) Old 28-05-2012, 19:30
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Car: Rover 200 (95-99)
Posts: 20
I know what you mean . I mean who would have though that Rover would have a following .... And actually at the time Rovers were very much under estimated and critised for the typical HGF . But 18 years later still running still in large numbers and not fallen apart yet. How many other jap cars from around the same era are still on the road? I have always liked MG's finishing touches to standard Rovers and just felt that the current small hatch offering was a little sparse . I mean take the 25 it was a nice car anyway but MG made it Sporty, fun and gave it the I WANT ONE! touch ,even TopGear when they tested it said that they would put their money on that car compared to the othe hot hatches around at the time and we all know they were one of the reasons Rover went down was because TopGear seemed to control the Hip or not button ( not hip enough in rovers case). Even now the MG ZR is still a modern looking car with very good handling and holds a good price. I just think that Roewe should make the standard car and then let MG UK go mental on it like they used to.
KRS Wouldham is offline  
post #47 of 166 (permalink) Old 28-05-2012, 22:21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Car: Rover 100, MG ZR+, SEAT Leon SC FR
Posts: 1,606
@James Riley... I think most sensible people know the limits of the MGR cars and their shortcomings. However the new MG is in a much higher quality market than 5-10 years ago and as you've mentioned above there's good standard cars already out there. Cars without a) Chinese stigma and b) the ghost of the recent past

Hence why MG have to offer something different... a cheap knockoff of a Hyundai won't cut it as you could just get... umm... a Hyundai!

As I see it the strengths MG need to play on is a) kit levels b) sporting heritage, basicalla more fun and high spec car than the competitors. For that reason they need to up their game styling wise. The MGR era MGs did have something special about them hence why they sold despite the old designs. SAIC need to recapture that unique MG feel but coupled with modern designs and technology.

As for MG easily finding loads of sales as it stands... nah...
gshaw is offline  
post #48 of 166 (permalink) Old 29-05-2012, 09:51
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Up't Yonder
Car: Land Rover Defender, MINI, Austin Metro
Posts: 4,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
@James Riley... I think most sensible people know the limits of the MGR cars and their shortcomings. However the new MG is in a much higher quality market than 5-10 years ago and as you've mentioned above there's good standard cars already out there. Cars without a) Chinese stigma and b) the ghost of the recent past

Hence why MG have to offer something different... a cheap knockoff of a Hyundai won't cut it as you could just get... umm... a Hyundai!

As I see it the strengths MG need to play on is a) kit levels b) sporting heritage, basicalla more fun and high spec car than the competitors. For that reason they need to up their game styling wise. The MGR era MGs did have something special about them hence why they sold despite the old designs. SAIC need to recapture that unique MG feel but coupled with modern designs and technology.

As for MG easily finding loads of sales as it stands... nah...
I agree, MG need to undercut the rivals by more than just a few hundred . Hyundai and Kia are now IMO quite expensive and whereas when I bought a Kia Pro_C'eed a few years ago it was much cheaper than something else, now they are not and I wouldnt be in a mad rush to jump in feet first (despite being a great car). In that sense, MG have a window of opportunity to get buyers in. They can raise prices later on (just like Kia/Hyundai did)

In addition to a very competitive price, they need, as you say, marketing that plays on MG's historic strengths. People need to think that they will be seen to have a sporty, youthful car, even if the car isn't particularly sporty. It's more about image these days than actual sporting abilities (given how cramped the roads are, how expensive insurance is etc)

However, the need to deliver the sporty image in as classy a way as possible, when one considers the dog's dinner that was the Proton Satria Gti..........
James Riley is offline  
post #49 of 166 (permalink) Old 29-05-2012, 10:39
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Washington
Car: Other Manufacturer
Posts: 19,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Riley View Post
However, the need to deliver the sporty image in as classy a way
Now if mg can achieve that, you'll have buyers queuing at the showroom.
John is offline  
post #50 of 166 (permalink) Old 29-05-2012, 20:26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Car: Rover 100, MG ZR+, SEAT Leon SC FR
Posts: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Riley View Post

In addition to a very competitive price, they need, as you say, marketing that plays on MG's historic strengths. People need to think that they will be seen to have a sporty, youthful car, even if the car isn't particularly sporty. It's more about image these days than actual sporting abilities (given how cramped the roads are, how expensive insurance is etc)

However, the need to deliver the sporty image in as classy a way as possible, when one considers the dog's dinner that was the Proton Satria Gti..........
Spot...on

If MG can keep the insurance bracket down like on the MG6 that's another USP they can use.

Personally if I were SAIC I'd be tapping up Huawei or someone similar to create a really top-notch in-car technology solution. Think of all the fuss Toyota have made with the Yaris for something that's not exactly ground-breaking and combine it with the spec list they're already offering on the MG6... that'll ignite some interest.

However it has to be done to higher quality than MG are currently... that means fitting hi-res screens, capacitative touch, solid control buttons and investing in quality UI design. Again some may say that costs money but SAIC have direct access to the Chinese component market... surely that has to offer them an advantage?

Sporty, high spec, low running costs... that's a winner in my eyes...
gshaw is offline  
post #51 of 166 (permalink) Old 29-05-2012, 20:52
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Car: MG ZS120(2005) ■■■■■□□□□□□
Posts: 11,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS Wouldham View Post
No not leaf springs lol! I meant the sperate ciol springs and shocks sort of early 90's hatchback set up.
Do you mean seperate coil springs and shocks as used by modern cars like the MG6?



It simply makes it easier to put together than if they are concentric and allows you to have springs and dampers different lengths, still works the same.

(Interesting fuel tank on that car - it's the 1.5 NSE with 317Nm of torque )
Windy is offline  
post #52 of 166 (permalink) Old 30-05-2012, 10:13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Up't Yonder
Car: Land Rover Defender, MINI, Austin Metro
Posts: 4,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
Spot...on



Personally if I were SAIC I'd be tapping up Huawei or someone similar to create a really top-notch in-car technology solution. ...
Havent they already done this with their "android" in-car operating system on the Roewe cars? They need to bring that here though as the west like that sort of thing!
James Riley is offline  
post #53 of 166 (permalink) Old 30-05-2012, 12:07
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Car: MG ZS120(2005) ■■■■■□□□□□□
Posts: 11,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Riley View Post
Havent they already done this with their "android" in-car operating system on the Roewe cars? They need to bring that here though as the west like that sort of thing!
Yes, the MG5 has an advanced version of the Roewe Android system with larger screen and enhanced voice control - it's been entertaining all the journalists reviewing the MG5 with its jokes and unexpected responses!
Windy is offline  
post #54 of 166 (permalink) Old 30-05-2012, 22:58
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Leicester
Car: Fiesta 1.0
Posts: 14,126
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy View Post
Do you mean seperate coil springs and shocks as used by modern cars like the MG6?



It simply makes it easier to put together than if they are concentric and allows you to have springs and dampers different lengths, still works the same.

(Interesting fuel tank on that car - it's the 1.5 NSE with 317Nm of torque )
Alot of torque from a 1.5!
great_kahn is offline  
post #55 of 166 (permalink) Old 31-05-2012, 03:12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: ROCK FERRY, WIRRAL
Car: 25X, 25 1.6, 25 2.0D Rep:■■■■■■■■■■
Posts: 35,286
I was thinking that myself, turn the earth the wrong way that lol.
ROVER-25X is offline  
post #56 of 166 (permalink) Old 31-05-2012, 11:52
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Car: MG ZS120(2005) ■■■■■□□□□□□
Posts: 11,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER-25X View Post
I was thinking that myself, turn the earth the wrong way that lol.
I guess it is quite highly geared so the result is about normal but I'm also wondering where exactly they are measuring the torque. Maybe the more interesting figure is the claimed 94mpg
Windy is offline  
post #57 of 166 (permalink) Old 31-05-2012, 15:53
Supporter
 
SteveChilds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Bilston
Car: ZR TD, ZS 180 in Aurora
Posts: 31,561
Blog Entries: 1
Garages
Send a message via MSN to SteveChilds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy View Post


(Interesting fuel tank on that car - it's the 1.5 NSE with 317Nm of torque )
Well, its a fuel container, but I wouldn't call it a tank....

F/TF Hybrid in Firefrost Red
ZS 180 in Aurora
SteveChilds is offline  
post #58 of 166 (permalink) Old 31-05-2012, 15:58
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Washington
Car: Other Manufacturer
Posts: 19,229
If you zoom right in you can see the turret steve
John is offline  
post #59 of 166 (permalink) Old 31-05-2012, 17:47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Car: MG ZS120(2005) ■■■■■□□□□□□
Posts: 11,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
If you zoom right in you can see the turret steve
I think the suspension turret is off the top of the image




tank:

1.A large receptacle or storage chamber, esp. for liquid or gas
2.The container holding the fuel supply in a motor vehicle
3.A receptacle with transparent sides in which to keep fish; an aquarium
4.A heavy armored fighting vehicle carrying guns and moving on a continuous articulated metal track
Windy is offline  
post #60 of 166 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 00:20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: ROCK FERRY, WIRRAL
Car: 25X, 25 1.6, 25 2.0D Rep:■■■■■■■■■■
Posts: 35,286
Thats almost as good a Bull-oon off the old Wife Beater adverts lol.
ROVER-25X is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MG-Rover.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MG5, in the open. skyblueads MG / SAIC / Roewe Related Chat 470 05-03-2012 07:39
MG5 spotted, 5 pics shrwcar MG / Rover Related Chat - up to 2005 41 26-07-2011 13:03
MG5 First Spyshots masta949 MG / Rover Related Chat - up to 2005 1 23-07-2011 09:40
Mg5 omg simondhopkins Others 5 17-06-2011 15:17
Would the MG5 be better right now? James Riley MG / SAIC / Roewe Related Chat 21 20-01-2011 22:29

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome