New Pics Of the MG5 - Page 4 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 166 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 11:18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Leicester
Car: Fiesta 1.0
Posts: 14,126
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy View Post
I guess it is quite highly geared so the result is about normal but I'm also wondering where exactly they are measuring the torque. Maybe the more interesting figure is the claimed 94mpg
Is it diesel hybrid electric? Would explain the torque.
great_kahn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 166 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 20:02
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Car: MG ZS120(2005) ■■■■■□□□□□□
Posts: 11,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by great_kahn View Post
Is it diesel hybrid electric? Would explain the torque.
No, it is the 1.5 NSE Petrol, however it has an electric transmission which can use power from the engine or batteries or both so the torque figure is for the output from the electric motor, guess it must have some additional gearing though. After an overnight charge it gives a 50Km range on the batteries before the engine needs to start.
Windy is offline  
post #63 of 166 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 23:42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Warwick / S.Wales
Car: Mk1.5 MG ZR1.8T+, 320D Tourer, C200 Estate
Posts: 2,940
Needs a 3dr model!!!!!!
Some Arch filling wheels!
And some serious OOMF to go with them sexy aggressive looks! This looks like it should be the real replacement to the ZR not that crappy tall and skinny MG3 thing!

this thing looks like it could eat fast country roads for breakfast and its not even here yet!

And if MG fail this car I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone dropped a T16 into it lol!

But I think, if MG pull this car off and make a nice sporty 3dr model, I might have found a suitable replacement for my ZR!

I say replacement, I should say a suitable room mate. They can share the drive/garage together lol


EDIT: Having done some more research and finding out it has a torsion bars on its ass I am a little disappointed, I hope to hell the UK MG fixes this... Else I imagine it will be out handled by DaddyZR.... Although I doubt it would be long untill someone made ZR suspension fit or coilies or something...

Last edited by lukenobrains; 05-06-2012 at 23:59. Reason: Did more homework
lukenobrains is offline  
 
post #64 of 166 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 10:19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Leicester
Car: Fiesta 1.0
Posts: 14,126
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenobrains View Post
Needs a 3dr model!!!!!!
Some Arch filling wheels!
And some serious OOMF to go with them sexy aggressive looks! This looks like it should be the real replacement to the ZR not that crappy tall and skinny MG3 thing!

this thing looks like it could eat fast country roads for breakfast and its not even here yet!

And if MG fail this car I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone dropped a T16 into it lol!

But I think, if MG pull this car off and make a nice sporty 3dr model, I might have found a suitable replacement for my ZR!

I say replacement, I should say a suitable room mate. They can share the drive/garage together lol


EDIT: Having done some more research and finding out it has a torsion bars on its ass I am a little disappointed, I hope to hell the UK MG fixes this... Else I imagine it will be out handled by DaddyZR.... Although I doubt it would be long untill someone made ZR suspension fit or coilies or something...
Zr has beam rear suspension. Zs is independent rear.
great_kahn is offline  
post #65 of 166 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 12:01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Car: MG ZS120(2005) ■■■■■□□□□□□
Posts: 11,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenobrains View Post
EDIT: Having done some more research and finding out it has a torsion bars on its ass I am a little disappointed, I hope to hell the UK MG fixes this... Else I imagine it will be out handled by DaddyZR.... Although I doubt it would be long untill someone made ZR suspension fit or coilies or something...
It's not a true torsion bar suspension as it has coil springs. The rear suspension is not much different to the ZR except that the springs and dampers are not concentric, I imagine that once it is tuned for the UK it will handle slightly better than the ZR. It won't compete with the ZS though as it can't control the wheel camber with suspension movement.

Windy is offline  
post #66 of 166 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 17:30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Leicester
Car: Fiesta 1.0
Posts: 14,126
Blog Entries: 1
Fastest FWD production car round the Nurburgring has torsion beam, so i wouldn't get too hung up on it.
great_kahn is offline  
post #67 of 166 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 00:08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: ROCK FERRY, WIRRAL
Car: 25X, 25 1.6, 25 2.0D Rep:■■■■■■■■■■
Posts: 35,367
Why the hell would you want a T-16 in it ?


Its not got much DNA in common to fit one either, if you want 200BHP you might as well fit a V-Tec engine.

Yes the MG3 is tall and skinny but so is the Fabia VRS and thats no slouch.
ROVER-25X is offline  
post #68 of 166 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 20:17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Warwick / S.Wales
Car: Mk1.5 MG ZR1.8T+, 320D Tourer, C200 Estate
Posts: 2,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER-25X View Post
Why the hell would you want a T-16 in it ?
Dunno.. people trying to keep some sort of heritage? Lol
lukenobrains is offline  
post #69 of 166 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 09:07
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Car: Seat Ibiza
Posts: 450
Roewe 350HB computer generated image

Personally I think that this rear end from the Roewe 350HB works so much better..

http://www.mguk.org/gallery/Cars/Roe...ck-pic_153.htm

Cheers..
mattykan is offline  
post #70 of 166 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 09:33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Car: MG ZS120(2005) ■■■■■□□□□□□
Posts: 11,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattykan View Post
Personally I think that this rear end from the Roewe 350HB works so much better..

http://www.mguk.org/gallery/Cars/Roe...ck-pic_153.htm

Cheers..
I think the tourer version is still in the pipeline, although they are not that popular in China so it may be some time yet with the current Euro situation.
Windy is offline  
post #71 of 166 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 09:39
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Car: Seat Ibiza
Posts: 450
We need a time machine to speed up time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy View Post
I think the tourer version is still in the pipeline, although they are not that popular in China so it may be some time yet with the current Euro situation.
The problem is that whilst the design may be current, give it a few years and it'll be old hat.

Cheers..
mattykan is offline  
post #72 of 166 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 16:15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Warwick / S.Wales
Car: Mk1.5 MG ZR1.8T+, 320D Tourer, C200 Estate
Posts: 2,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattykan View Post
Personally I think that this rear end from the Roewe 350HB works so much better..

http://www.mguk.org/gallery/Cars/Roe...ck-pic_153.htm

Cheers..
I do like that... It's not as sporty looking as the 5 but it looks more luxury.

SAIC should bring back Rover too (or bring Roewe over here as a replacement, then MG can go back to being sporty models of their cars )

Then they can do both luxury and sporty, and hit 2 markets with 1 stone!
lukenobrains is offline  
post #73 of 166 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 19:48
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Car: Rover 100, MG ZR+, SEAT Leon SC FR
Posts: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattykan View Post
Personally I think that this rear end from the Roewe 350HB works so much better..

http://www.mguk.org/gallery/Cars/Roe...ck-pic_153.htm

Cheers..
Yup agreed, much tidier and has more of a quality look to it. Could easily be achievable if you mix it with the Concept5 rear end I reckon
gshaw is offline  
post #74 of 166 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 04:56
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: ROCK FERRY, WIRRAL
Car: 25X, 25 1.6, 25 2.0D Rep:■■■■■■■■■■
Posts: 35,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenobrains View Post
SAIC should bring back Rover too (or bring Roewe over here as a replacement, then MG can go back to being sporty models of their cars )

Then they can do both luxury and sporty, and hit 2 markets with 1 stone!

SIAC have nothing to do with ROVER pal, that name is owned by JAGUAR/LAND ROVER (TATA) so there could possibly be some in the future as there is no current 'super mini' or 'small hatch' in the Jag range, perhaps they could bring ROVER back in order to fill a gap in there model range, might be dreaming though.
ROVER-25X is offline  
post #75 of 166 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 08:50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Up't Yonder
Car: Land Rover Defender, MINI, Austin Metro
Posts: 4,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER-25X View Post
SIAC have nothing to do with ROVER pal, that name is owned by JAGUAR/LAND ROVER (TATA) so there could possibly be some in the future as there is no current 'super mini' or 'small hatch' in the Jag range, perhaps they could bring ROVER back in order to fill a gap in there model range, might be dreaming though.
Have to say, now more than ever, with JLR's profits going skyward (cosiderably more profitable than BMW given how many units BMW shift) this is the best time for JLR to widen their appeal by the use of the Rover brand without tarnishing the Jag or LR brands in the process.

There is definitely room for them to become more mainstream and clearly using Jag or LR is NOT the way to do it. I suspect, very strongly, that TATA will use Rover at some time in the future for a number of reasons:

1) Using the TATA brand will be difficult, it has no image and attempting to emphasise links with JLR will harm JLR more than it will do TATA good.

2) JLR has an increasingly strong image and could now bestow some of that positive image on Rover which rather than be seen to be a old hat dead brand, could instead be perceived to be a quality JLR family product. This would seriously breathe new life into Rover and I don't think, given the crest that JLR is riding, would harm them at all.

3) The small car market is clearly the way the world is going, look at the latest SMMT stats that back this up and predict even more growth. JLR and Jag will never have a "small" car, they do not fit the brands and would harm them. However, an exciting, well designed car for the segment with a Rover badge - linking it to LR indirectly (kinda the same way MINI has been to BMW) would be a logical way to fill that gap.
James Riley is offline  
post #76 of 166 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 23:43
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: ROCK FERRY, WIRRAL
Car: 25X, 25 1.6, 25 2.0D Rep:■■■■■■■■■■
Posts: 35,367
There was a time where ROVER ment a reasonably priced quality car with lots of chrome and wood, there appeal will be wide as there are many people over many ages who had owned or know somone who has owned a ROVER and had a good experience.
ROVER-25X is offline  
post #77 of 166 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 10:20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Warwick / S.Wales
Car: Mk1.5 MG ZR1.8T+, 320D Tourer, C200 Estate
Posts: 2,940
However if Rover was to be reborn by JLR, I don't think JLR and SAIC would be interested in working together to do what MGR used to do the whole luxury/sporty varients of the same car...

Would be awesome if they did though, but that would involve sharing designs and such...

Perhaps SAIC could just bring Roewe over here in replacement of Rover? We could still call them MGRs then too lol
lukenobrains is offline  
post #78 of 166 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 10:30
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Washington
Car: Other Manufacturer
Posts: 19,226
I heard jag are planning a small car, but i suspect that would carry the jag name
John is offline  
post #79 of 166 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 01:27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: ROCK FERRY, WIRRAL
Car: 25X, 25 1.6, 25 2.0D Rep:■■■■■■■■■■
Posts: 35,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenobrains View Post
However if Rover was to be reborn by JLR, I don't think JLR and SAIC would be interested in working together to do what MGR used to do the whole luxury/sporty varients of the same car.


MG-ROVER only did that due to money reasons, bit pointless doing it now, MG will prob be doing 'Hot' versions of there cars to cover that part of the market, probably under the 888 badge, theres already been some pics of a suped up MG6.
ROVER-25X is offline  
post #80 of 166 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 07:55
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Washington
Car: Other Manufacturer
Posts: 19,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER-25X View Post
MG-ROVER only did that due to money reasons, bit pointless doing it now, MG will prob be doing 'Hot' versions of there cars to cover that part of the market, probably under the 888 badge, theres already been some pics of a suped up MG6.
Seems to work well for the VAG group
John is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MG-Rover.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MG5, in the open. skyblueads MG / SAIC / Roewe Related Chat 470 05-03-2012 07:39
MG5 spotted, 5 pics shrwcar MG / Rover Related Chat - up to 2005 41 26-07-2011 13:03
MG5 First Spyshots masta949 MG / Rover Related Chat - up to 2005 1 23-07-2011 09:40
Mg5 omg simondhopkins Others 5 17-06-2011 15:17
Would the MG5 be better right now? James Riley MG / SAIC / Roewe Related Chat 21 20-01-2011 22:29

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome