First track day car what to get? - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 15:39 Thread Starter

Car: MG ZT
First track day car what to get?

I love driving fast and I have decided that its safer to do it on a track, I live close to goodwood so i have been thinking about getting a cheap car to use on the track. I like fwd cars for some reason but i don't know what to get. I had a look on there website and they do track days where you can take any car on it so would i need MOT, Tax and Insurance if i take it on just track days? my budget would only be about a max of 2K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 15:41

Car: '97 Rover 200vi
Send a message via MSN to Rapid Silver
Why not try taking your ZT for starters, then ask the instructors and others at the track day what to get?

If it's a track only car it won't need MoT etc as long as it doesn't get driven on the public road. It will probably get checked by the scrutineers at the track so needs to be fairly safe.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 16:08

Car: MG ZT 260SE & Rover 25 iL Derv
Send a message via MSN to Stu C
If you want a car to start, something like a Metro 1.4, Pug 205 etc... something little, decent ish engine enough for some fun and to learn.

Or like Steve mentioned take the ZT out, but if you do that i would be tempted to get another set of wheels and tyres to rip the crap out of with whilst keeping the nice set at home for normal use and just swap them over for the track

The only track ive been on is the 'ring, although i wasnt "pushing" my ZT190 i still had some fun and felt quite in controled and comfortable in it.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 16:27 Thread Starter

cool i had thought about something like a metro as there very cheap to buy, I had also thought about taking the ZT out the only slight concern i had was stuffing it into a barrier but then again i used to drive it hard on the public roads which was probably more dangerous, it might be worth taking it on a track day not push to hard and see if i like it then buy something after that.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 16:31

Car: MGF
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffgun View Post
cool i had thought about something like a metro as there very cheap to buy, I had also thought about taking the ZT out the only slight concern i had was stuffing it into a barrier but then again i used to drive it hard on the public roads which was probably more dangerous, it might be worth taking it on a track day not push to hard and see if i like it then buy something after that.
metros will likely run into problems with corrosion.

pug 205 gti, 205 on mi16 etc would do you fine but again likely to suffer serious corrosion problems.

mk2 golf syncro if you fancy putting a 2.0 16v in it would be deadly. lot of work though and struggling for 2k. mk2 golf 16v, toledo 16v would both do you fine.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 16:58

Car: Fiat Panda 100HP
I was gonna suggest maybe a Robin Hood kit car. Once we've finished his Triumph a mate of mine will be selling it and buying a kit car for summer

If you can stretch the budget, what about this?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/760486.htm
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 17:19

Car: S60 D5
Send a message via MSN to AndBurG
2k buys a lot!!!

well sorted 205 gti would be best FWD option....

but 1500 would buy an early, impreza turbo and leave change for tidying it up!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 20:34 Thread Starter

I have just booked my track day up, I am taking going to take the ZT, think i will need some new tyres the ones i have on there at the moment are rubbish.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 20:58

Car: '97 Rover 200vi
Send a message via MSN to Rapid Silver
Good idea re new wheels+tyres.
At some point this year I want to track day my car - after I've sorted the suspension I'm aiming for the PPC in the park at Mallory 23rd May 09 so I shall also be hunting a 2nd set of wheels and tyres.

I was gonna suggest somthing like a Pug 205GTI or other FWD as a track day car, but if you fancied RWD how about a E30 BMW 3 series?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 03:43

Car: Toyota MR2
Early Impreza as mentioned before, or early Evo.

But for FWD try to find a cheapo Integra Type R, although doubtful you'll get one for that cash so may have to go over budget a bit
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 08:26

Car: MGF
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendoskeg View Post
Early Impreza as mentioned before, or early Evo.

But for FWD try to find a cheapo Integra Type R, although doubtful you'll get one for that cash so may have to go over budget a bit
no chance get a teggy for that money - would be the damage on track with lsd tho.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 12:46

Car: MG ZS+ 115 TDi
Send a message via MSN to will-w
A teg is the way to go... But you wouldn't have much change from 3k I reckon!

How about a 200sx? Cheap, powerful, easy to maintain, and a whole load of fun!!!!!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 17:19
what a guy

Car: Mercedes CLK, Classic Mini, Streetwise TD, ZR Trophy 160, Volvo 244
I've had to think about this many times before as I've always wanted a track car.

For the money you can't go wrong with an XR2i, or even a Fiesta RS turbo if the budget can stretch to it.

Grand or so to buy, then 500 on suspension and tyres and stripping it out and you're sorted!

You won't be able to keep up with the evo's or the scoobies, but it'll still be fairly nippy, and loads of fun!

cheers
Ben
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 17:29

Car: Fiat Panda 100HP
I think fun is the way to go. If you're new to track days you'll fun out there in a Lada Niva. Clio 16V maybe?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 09:51

Car: MG ZS, G-Wiz, Mitsubishi i-MiEV
ok - some slightly different ideas for you. What about going for a pre-built kit car? You should be able to pick up an older 'seven' style car for your sort of money and you'd have a complete blast with something like that!

A Dutton Phaeton could be a good option. There are quite a few around and you see them coming up on eBay and in the kit car magazines quite often, and for 2K you could buy yourself a good one, get new wheels and tyres, a trailer - and have enough money left over to kit yourself up with proper protective clothing and decent helmet.

The performance is fantastic - far better than you'll get out of a tarted up hatchback thanks to very low weight and low centre of gravity. These are real stripped out sports racers - exactly the sort of thing to be driven quickly around a race circuit.

Here you go: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DUTTON-BLUE_W0...1%7C240%3A1318

Or this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DUTTON-MELOS-K...1%7C240%3A1318

Or if you're not frightened of a bit more hard work: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PART-BUILD-UNF...1%7C240%3A1318

OK - so it's a million miles away from Formula One, but then so is the price tag. I don't know what race series there are for these sorts of cars now but I bet theres one somewhere where you could go and have a laugh and a great time for not a lot of money.