General Motors in talks to sell Vauxhall and Opel marques to Peugeot - MG-Rover.org Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 14-02-2017, 15:49 Thread Starter
GSi

Car: Rover 200 (-95)
General Motors in talks to sell Vauxhall and Opel marques to Peugeot

When I heard recently that Vauxahall-Opel hadn't made money for 20 years, I wasn't surprised to read this news.
I wonder if SAIC might be tempted to make a counter-offer? How would it impact the Luton van plant as Peugeot has a joint venture with Fiat for vans. Could this closed or be sold to someone like SAIC?
General Motors in talks to sell Vauxhall and Opel marques to Peugeot
Peugeot in talks to buy GM's Vauxhall and Opel business - BBC News
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-opel-business
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 14-02-2017, 19:28

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Bye-bye Ellesmere Port then!
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 14-02-2017, 19:42

Car: Other Manufacturer
Will the Vauxhall brand survive, or will it just be Opel across Europe?

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 14-02-2017, 19:51

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
I hope this doesn't happen. I do not see PSA as a safe pair of hands.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 14-02-2017, 19:56

Car: CityRover
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGNorman View Post
Will the Vauxhall brand survive, or will it just be Opel across Europe?
It's already Opel everywhere, just has a Griffin badge stuck on.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 14-02-2017, 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickChilds View Post
It's already Opel everywhere, just has a Griffin badge stuck on.
Yes. There has been a constant cycle of rumours about the Vauxhall brand being dropped over the years and none have come to pass. The brand is simply too strong to be in jeopardy.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 14-02-2017, 20:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRich View Post
Yes. There has been a constant cycle of rumours about the Vauxhall brand being dropped over the years and none have come to pass. The brand is simply too strong to be in jeopardy.
The issue is that it's British and a Vauxhall very superficially. I doubt many would notice if it became an Opel. I'm surprised they haven't used Opel as some sort of premium brand to introduce it.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 14-02-2017, 20:30

Car: Evolution VII RS, MK5 RS2000, Trackday MK2 ZR 160, MK2 ZS 120+
Vauxhall never made a good car anyway
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 14-02-2017, 20:51

Car: MG ZS
If they decided to make another mad car like the VX220 I would probably care about Vauxhalls future.

As it stands, it's a generic brand that values reliability over most anything else.

There's nothing really appealing to them as an inspiration to car manufacturers.

I mean have they made an interesting car other than the VX220 in....umm the last 20 years?

Not much really to worship other than their sheer ability to sell cars.

I'm all for keeping jobs in the UK for manufacturing, but would I personally notice if they disappeared? I barely notice them NOW.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 14-02-2017, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargatemunky View Post
I mean have they made an interesting car other than the VX220 in....umm the last 20 years?
And that was a Lotus anyway. You could add the Holden-based VXRs to your list, but then again they're not really Vauxhalls either.

Vauxhalls are white-goods vehicles built for and bought by the masses who don't require anything further than A-B transport. To that end, Vauxhall gets a lot right, with smart styling, classy interiors, solid build and fair reliability, but in common with most other German vehicles, are devoid of soul and appeal to anyone wanting an emotional response from their vehicle.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 14-02-2017, 22:54

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickChilds View Post
The issue is that it's British and a Vauxhall very superficially. I doubt many would notice if it became an Opel. I'm surprised they haven't used Opel as some sort of premium brand to introduce it.
In the days before the Opel and Vauxhall vehicles became identical, Opel offered their versions of the cars through their own network of dealers in the UK - hardly anyone bought them.

The Vauxhall name is unknown outside the UK, but many buyers still percieve Vauxhall as being British, and that has massive value for sales volumes. This has been the principal reason why GM have always backed away from proposals to drop the Vauxhall name.

If Opel-Vauxhall hasn't made a profit for over 20 years (as is suggested), the first thing that needs doing (regardles of when or who it is sold to) is the entire upper management need giving the sack and replacing with a team who have some idea how to run a business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRich
I do not see PSA as a safe pair of hands.
Recalling the way that PSA crapped all over Ryton, I entirely concur.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 15-02-2017, 05:19

Car: Other Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNDQ View Post
Vauxhall never made a good car anyway
and yet you see them everywhere. You can't drive anywhere without being stuck behind a Coarser, Ashtray or an Insipid.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 15-02-2017, 18:16

Car: MG ZS
- Insignia VXR, 2.8L turbocharged V6 4wd goodness
- Corsa Nurburgring edition looks fab and has 202bhp from a 1.6!
- Adam S, 150bhp go-kart and i think looks amazing
- Astra GTC not a bad looking 2 door coupe
- Astra VXR is completely mental
- Even the cascada is a nice looking thing

Yes they have made their fair share of crap *cough* frontera *cough* but personally i would feel sad if we lost Vauxhall, i think they do still make good cars, reliable cars and i would choose them over Ford any day of the week.
NickTL likes this.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 15-02-2017, 20:38

It's truly not the kind of business that you want to lose. Apart from the directly employed, you lose the skills base, the supply chain jobs, god knows, even the local sandwich shop.

PSA will just make a right mess of it.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 16-02-2017, 23:30
Supporter

Car: MG Montego Turbo; 620ti x3; MG ZS; MGF and MG ZT 1.8t x2; MG ZT-T x1
Foreign control and ownership. You cannot beat it ... In the UK.

Apparently ... in a parallel universe MGJohn drives .........A.......

B>>M>>W ....

Arrrrrggghhhhh......... ......
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 17-02-2017, 18:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
Foreign control and ownership. You cannot beat it ... In the UK.
Very true. Just look at whats happened MG. Still though with JLR they've shown they can do it better than us.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 17-02-2017, 19:14

Car: Lotus Elise
my thinking is if PSA gets hold of Vauxhall, it'll be to remove a competitor, both Vauxhall and Opel are all but for the name the same car, I think GM, would sooner see Vauxhall go down the drain, (anyone remember Saab?) then to see their/Vauxhall IP go in to Chinese hands, and I think this is holding up talks
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 11:32

Car: MG3 3Style
Well its now been confirmed and the media this morning made no mention of PSA's unnecessary closure of Ryton back in 2006.

If only our useless politicians could create a level playing field protecting the jobs at risk. The job flexibility argument doesn't work. It hasn't exactly made European companies transfer production over to the UK thus far. On the contrary, its a charter to close down existing production in the Uk and move it to high wage economies a few hundred miles away.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 17:42

Car: MG TF
That will be the end of Vauxhall then. Ford must be celebrating and so will the likes of Kia. I've had some good cars from Vauxhall and Opel over the years. Worst one by far was a Peugeot. Not a fair reflection maybe but that's the way I see it. Vauxhall had a few "interesting" cars over the years (who can forget the Lotus Carlton) but did not play the "performance" card as often as some others, notably Ford. They had their share of mediocre cars too but so did the rest. I have a late model diesel Astra estate as my daily drive and it ticks a lot of boxes. Exciting? No but quick, quiet, comfy, economical, spacious and reliable. Better than a Focus? It's in the eye of the beholder, overall certainly no worse, some models yes some no. Will I buy what I see as a French car in the future? Not a chance, maybe another MG beckons?
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 17:56
Supporter

Car: MG Montego Turbo; 620ti x3; MG ZS; MGF and MG ZT 1.8t x2; MG ZT-T x1
Thumbs down

Running true to form, as I type this I have 24/7/365 News in the background. All are linking this to the UK's decision to sever the EU connection permanently. No doubt closure of Longbridge would be blamed on UK's Exit from the EU if the media thought they could get away with it! They are obviously so much more clever than us Plebs and need to remind us of that at every opportunity.

Foreign Investment? When it suits all will be gone. All the Japanese manufacturers here have threatened that years ago.

Apparently, 80% of the Vauxhall product goes to the EU. I wonder what percentage of that 80% goes to the UK market which currently is a member of the UK. Stats ...

Before any calls of "Fake News", the UK media also stress a massive 75% of the Cars' manufacturing content is bought in from abroad. Lot of good that does the UK. Mainly bought in from guess where!

Why oh why can't the UK manufacture that 75% stuff either in house, or elsewhere in the UK thus creating more jobs and securing existing ones, not exporting them. We still have the skills so it is not yet too late.

I drove past Ryton ten years ago. A sad desert. Just needed a few Tumble Weeds to complete the scenario.

Matter of time before both VX plants are shut down and asset stripped. Probably sooner rather than stated timeline later as soon as "clever" accounting reveals massively failing economy of both plants.

So when all is gone, will we import Opels with Vauxhall badges on them? So that folks buying Vauxhalls can feel comfortable that buying one provided manufacturing jobs and careers for Brits.

Bet they do.

Build 'em where cheapest, sell 'em where there are the fattest margins. Guess where.

TATA for now.

Apparently ... in a parallel universe MGJohn drives .........A.......

B>>M>>W ....

Arrrrrggghhhhh......... ......

Last edited by MGJohn; 06-03-2017 at 18:06.