New car help needed - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 08:51 Thread Starter

Car: ROVER
New car help needed

Background:

The 75 automatic diesel estate has almost 350k on the clock, still starts first time, and still delivers 52 mpg (London to Edinburgh without refuelling, and no stopping makes very fast journeys); but BMW engines were always a tad noisy and the crackdown on diesels is upon us. The trusty 75 estate with stiff body, relaxed suspension, soft leather seats, and lumbar support is due replacement.

Requirement:

Though I do not need to use my own car, my new (paper-pushing desk) job has me doing 18k miles per year between offices, and my wife buys (and apparently sells?) antique furniture; so a comfortable estate/SUV is the aim. High mpg and automatic.

Problem:

Wowed by the birds-eye camera view, I put down a deposit on a new Outlander PHEV yesterday, but woke up today with a painful back from test driving it. The seats are hard, provide no side support, and no lumbar support. I'd rather loose the deposit than loose my health. Nissan Qashqai has an uneconomical diesel lump that makes no improvement on the 75. Lexus had horribly hard suspension. Volvo twin-engines cost too much. RAV4 hybrid remains on my shortlist but what other sensible car exists?

Deadline:

1pm today!

Last edited by stormbind; 12-03-2017 at 10:02.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 09:13

Car: Rover 400 Tourer
Send a message via MSN to Jimdefruit
You don't appear to have considered the MG GS.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 09:35 Thread Starter

Car: ROVER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdefruit View Post
You don't appear to have considered the MG GS.
To be honest I did not know MG made a SUV but just checked and its MPG would be a problem. I don't have time to refuel, and my wife is allergic to manual transmission. On paper, the GS is no improvement on the 75 (and there is no dealer near to me).

As an aside, I tried an electric car as my garage came with a fast charger built-in. The drive is amazing, but just one refuel each day (i.e. detour in heavy traffic, plus charge, costs 2 hours combined) makes it rubbish for anyone whose time has value. I was drinking coffees and window shopping on company time while the battery refills, and you are not even allowed to fully charge at public stations!! I limped home behind a lorry instead of stopping to charge again. Utter rubbish cars.

Petrols are much better, but pit-stops still probably cost 15 minutes each (5 minutes refilling plus 10 minute detour in heavy traffic); and that is undesirable. The replacement really needs to be a hybrid that outperforms the old 75's mpg.

Volvo and Mitsubishi offer PHEV, and Toyota are now pushing out Hydrogen-powered cars. I think I'm already seeing Shell/BP/etc. scale back their common fuels because some of their stations no longer provide a choice of standard or premium fuel (and LPG seems to have disappeared?)

Last edited by stormbind; 12-03-2017 at 10:27.