Parking Ticket - MG-Rover.org Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 17-02-2017, 21:41 Thread Starter

Car: MG TF
Parking Ticket

I parked my MGTF in an area for two hours (Max) at 6.55pm when I returned at 8.55pm I found a ticket on my windscreen. When I got home and looked at the ticket it was for not paying for a ticket. I paid two pounds for a ticket and put it to the right of the instrument panel it had slipped down slightly but was still readable (If one bothered to look) I have objected on the internet and found that the traffic warden said he viewed the car from 8.28-8.33 Viewing what because he never looked at my ticket his photos show mainly the car and a photo from the passenger side across the dash the ticket was behind the hump of the instrument panel. What chance do you think I have. There is an offence of not showing a ticket but I have sent my own photos to show it was on the dash. I also added that not many surfaces are level and this ticket has no glue so cannot be stuck on the glass. that is not my fault.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 17-02-2017, 21:47
Think before you type!

Car: Flame Red '95 MGF, 64 Suzuki Swift SZ-L, 13 VX Astra, 07 C1 & 59 Fiesta.
Take the fine and move on, life's too short.

For .org forum only search results in Google, add "site:mg-rover.org" after your search criteria

Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 17-02-2017, 21:58

Car: MGF
Surely if you have a valid ticket and were legally parked and returned to the car within the specified time frame, they cannot 'do' you for it? - if it were me, I'd be complaining to the highest powers, not just taking it on the chin from a 'jobsworth' traffic warden.

I've often had to re-open the car door to 'replace' a non-glued ticket back onto the dash after wind from closing the door has blown it off the dash.

I once got ticketed for not parking within the supposed 'white lines' of a parking bay. I took photos of 'said' white lines (which were barely visible due to lack of car park maintenance) and got the fine reversed as I took photo's of the relevant bay - not my fault if the NCP can't be arsed in making sure their car parks are up to date.

I say go and complain rather than suck it up - you paid the ticket price, regardless of wether the warden could be bothered to see if he/she could visibly see the ticket......what is it they say, possession is nine tenths of the law and you DID possess a valid ticket, did you not?
roobs likes this.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 17-02-2017, 22:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMc View Post
Take the fine and move on, life's too short.
Really? I'm assuming the OP still has the ticket, he wins any case brought against him.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 17-02-2017, 23:21
Think before you type!

Car: Flame Red '95 MGF, 64 Suzuki Swift SZ-L, 13 VX Astra, 07 C1 & 59 Fiesta.
If this was really as straightforward as it may first appear, why would you bring it to this forum?

If I was a betting man, I would say there is more to this than first meets the eye...

For .org forum only search results in Google, add "site:mg-rover.org" after your search criteria

Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 17-02-2017, 23:57

Car: Rover 620ti, 2x 1996 MGF, 4x MG TF, Mazda Bongo, 2x 1999 MGF, 1972 Ford Cortina Mk3 Citroen Picasso
Quote:
If this was really as straightforward as it may first appear, why would you bring it to this forum?

If I was a betting man, I would say there is more to this than first meets the eye...

Sometimes people just get frustrated about what has happened and just want to vent their frustration.....I'd assume this is one of those situations. For the OP, it looks as though you've got evidence of the ticket so possibly should be overturned...as already mentioned.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 18-02-2017, 04:06

Car: 1971Triumph TR6, 2006Jaguar X Type 2.5 AWD, 2008 Volvo C70
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviejones133 View Post
Surely if you have a valid ticket and were legally parked and returned to the car within the specified time frame, they cannot 'do' you for it? - if it were me, I'd be complaining to the highest powers, not just taking it on the chin from a 'jobsworth' traffic warden.

I've often had to re-open the car door to 'replace' a non-glued ticket back onto the dash after wind from closing the door has blown it off the dash.

I once got ticketed for not parking within the supposed 'white lines' of a parking bay. I took photos of 'said' white lines (which were barely visible due to lack of car park maintenance) and got the fine reversed as I took photo's of the relevant bay - not my fault if the NCP can't be arsed in making sure their car parks are up to date.

I say go and complain rather than suck it up - you paid the ticket price, regardless of wether the warden could be bothered to see if he/she could visibly see the ticket......what is it they say, possession is nine tenths of the law and you DID possess a valid ticket, did you not?
Go for it & complain I have on four different occasions & won every time, its a matter of principal & I LOVE TO WIN.

Cheers

Mike
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 18-02-2017, 07:35

Car: Lotus Elise
if you think you have a case and you still have the ticket, take your case to the tribunal, you’ll have a 80% chance of winning and won’t cost you anything win or lose, apart from your time to attend the tribunal,
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 18-02-2017, 08:10
CJJ

Car: MGTF 160, TF LE500, Nissan Leaf, KTM 990, Kangoo Van, Freelander 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviejones133 View Post
The offence is normally for "Not displaying a ticket", it isn't for not having a ticket. If the ticket isn't visible in the car then you have committed the offence. Some parking lots even specify where you have to display it and if you display it elsewhere you can get fined.

In this case, it seems like you have a good case.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 18-02-2017, 08:59

If you have the ticket then no reason why you shouldn't dispute the fine. If you took photos of your dash before moving the ticket then even better because the warden probably did the same and they have they will have the photos to prove it I believe. Be polite with them and chances are they will cancel it. I had a similar situation when I bought the car, parked on a residents bay, I put the parking permit on the dash, shut the door and the permit landed on the floor without me noticing it. I ended up with a fine. The council cancelled it when I told them what happened.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 18-02-2017, 09:00
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
What comes to my mind is transparent MG pocket, glued to windscreen from inside, previously used for tax disc, now no longer needed, which can be used for putting parking ticket on the visible place?
Mollydog likes this.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 18-02-2017, 11:20

Car: MGF VVC 75th Anniversary LE
I had the same a few years ago, disputed it with the council whose car park it was, provided them with ticket and, eventually, got a somewhat snotty letter back saying they would let it go 'this once' but had 'added my details' to their files, whatever that meant.

When I got a newer 2nd car just recently I was overly excited to find it had a ticket/pass holder built in to the windscreen, I was thinking more so for camping passes and the like which can be a nuissance when you are driving a convertible about. Typically as most of my camping and such is done in the F, I've used it a grand total of once so far.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 18-02-2017, 11:24

Car: MGF VVC 75th Anniversary LE
Actually, I see you can buy aftermarket ones... hmmm, tempting.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 12:54

Car: Vauxhall Astra Turbo Diesel. Combo Turbo Diesel. Rover 825 V6 Coupe. Merlin Titanium Mountain Bike.
Quote:

It's probably just a case of never being in this situation before. I know I haven't.

poster did the correct thing and took own photo's. Next thing is to dispute the ticket, and go to tribunal if needs be.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 16:13 Thread Starter

Thank you for your comments it does help. What is not fair is the fine is £70 but reduced to £35 for a quick payment at the moment it has been frozen but if the decision is to pay then I only have a short time to pay or it goes back up to £70. A lot of money when I had paid for the ticket.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 16:22 Thread Starter

No nothing more to this, but like minded people can give advice and there has been a lot, Photo taken from passenger side of car would not show the ticket behind instrument panel hump.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 17:16

Car: MG ZS
It will cost you nothing but time to appeal it.

The more information you can provide to bring doubt on it the more likely it is you will win.

I have lost some tickets and won others. Some won just because they moved the ticket machine and I had a photo of the old location.

I've won against Croydon council over an 18 month period where they were forced to go to court and I didn't even bother turning up.

Send the appeal through whilst you're within the discounted rate and most... MOST councils will still let you pay the discount fine if you lose the appeal.

Again... nothing to lose here from your point of view.

Especially if you photo the original ticket to prove you actually paid for it.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 21-02-2017, 23:17

> they would let it go 'this once' but had 'added my details' to their files, whatever that meant.

You should make a subject access request under the data protection act to see if they still have your details. If so you should ask why - they need a good legitimate reason to be holding onto it.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 22-02-2017, 01:45

Car: MG ZS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Leigh View Post
> they would let it go 'this once' but had 'added my details' to their files, whatever that meant.
They have "let it go this once" three times with Watford council. Mainly because I keep switching vehicles.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 18:51 Thread Starter

Glad I did not take your advice the council could see I had paid for a ticket and canceled the fin