young people - MG-Rover.org Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 14-12-2016, 19:53 Thread Starter

Car: Other Manufacturer
young people

16 year old.s first taste of powwerd motoring now can ride 28 mph max speed moped, it seems our E U friends think the old 31 mph to fast. a motor bike tester told me about the new rule ,i did not believe him untill i checked.,it seems that the car 70 is next for the 10% chop,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 14-12-2016, 20:31

Car: MG ZS
Am i the only one that think these limited scooters are dangerous? many times i have been patiently sat behind them unable to overtake safely in a double decker only for some moron to overtake me, only to realize there is a little scooter in front of me and suddenly not have enough room to pull in without getting dangerously close to the poor bugger, dont get me wrong this is a good idea for around town in my opinion, but something doing 28mph in a 60 or 70mph zone seems just a wee bit dangerous to me.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 14-12-2016, 20:41
Banned

Car: MG ZR
But were leaving the EU.

The first thing any sensible kid or their parents do is fit a variator and get rid of any other restrictions.

28 is nothing new.I have a 2 year old NSC50R with 30 miles on it in the garage.It does 28.5 mph flat out,or did.I would like to make the idiots who come up with this crap ride them.

Even if you pass a test on a moped you still cant ride a bike designed to go any faster.So they actively prevent kids taking further training.

The whole thing is pretty shocking.

Glyn Scothern likes this.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 15-12-2016, 08:51

Car: MG TF
If you were cynical you might think that the idea was to dissuade people from bikes / scooters.
Nomad76 and JT Dent like this.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 15-12-2016, 21:11 Thread Starter

another rule they have given us is if your family has a lot to do with 3 wheel car,s or trikes but no interest in two wheels ,they now make you learn to ride a 2 wheeler,There are several kit car makers but they did not consult with them when they brought this in,,i know a person who part owns a bike test center and come on a old moped that can get up to 35 mph ,but he came on a new learner moped and said 26 mph was slow and to a long time to get to 28, with all the train troubles down south you would think the goverment would wont to encorage people on to 2 wheels but at 26 to 28 mph who would wont one,
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 15-12-2016, 23:34
Supporter

Car: MG Montego Turbo; 620ti x3; MG ZS; MGF and MG ZT 1.8t x2; MG ZT-T x1
Cool Out of it the sooner the better.

They in Brussels stuck their interfering oar into most things UK motoring which does precious little good. Quite the opposite more often than not.

Be it silly "lowest common denominator" towing restrictions to the Vehicle Emission Guidelines and measuring parameters which measure the wrong bluddy stuff particularly with Diesel engines. No bluddy wonder VAG and others took full advantage to set up crooked engine management of Diesel engines. Some of the other EU directives are even more laughable.

There really is no end to it. The sooner we allow some sense designed by ourselves to prevail the better.

I am also sick and tired of all this soft and hard Brexit bovine excrement our "we're much cleverer than you" media incessantly regurgitate day in day out. The state broadcasters being especially guilty.

There has never been and can never be any form of "soft" exit from the uber-parasitical so called European Union. It is in the interests of the EU parasites to make any life-blood hosts like the UK desiring to leave as difficult as possible. Not to do so would open the gates for others wishing to quit. The parasites members increasingly outnumber the host members by a big fat ratio. Consider that in addition to the crumbling economies of so many EU members the fate of the EU is both assured and deserved. It is a basic rule of nature that when the parasites suck more from their hosts than the hosts can provide, the host will no longer survive. Both parasite and host fail to thrive and .... die.

The sooner we sever that increasingly blood sucking umbilical cord from that economically crumbling Union the better.

Apparently ... in a parallel universe MGJohn drives .........A.......

B>>M>>W ....

Arrrrrggghhhhh......... ......
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 16-12-2016, 23:11

Car: MG ZS
its just a hunch, but i think john might have voted leave
Talkingcars, gnu and Nomad76 like this.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 16-12-2016, 23:22
Supporter

Car: MG Montego Turbo; 620ti x3; MG ZS; MGF and MG ZT 1.8t x2; MG ZT-T x1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furryroo View Post
its just a hunch, but i think john might have voted leave
Elementary ....

No **** Shylock ...

Apparently ... in a parallel universe MGJohn drives .........A.......

B>>M>>W ....

Arrrrrggghhhhh......... ......
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 21-12-2016, 08:17

Car: Rover 25
For what it's worth, mopeds were first restricted to 30mph back in August 1977. Even then, it wasn't an EU Directive. It was UK Legislation that put paid to the likes of the 45mph Yamaha FS1E and the 50mph Suzuki A50P. The Government of the day believed that 16'ers should only be riding the likes of a Raleigh Runabout or a Puch Maxi, but still. The biking press howled about the new Law, saying that 30mph was too slow! As for the 'Euromeddling'? The idiots who introduced the 28mph directive don't ride these things!

In truth. It's never been easier to de-restrict modern mopeds. I don't know of anyone who has a restricted moped. From what I've read. The Police don't care. MOT Stations aren't interested and Insurance Companies still pay out, if there's a claim. It would seem that everyone in the UK is turning a 'blind eye' to moped modifications.

Oh. Here's a picture of my 'friends' moped. He's got over 65mph out of it.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 21-12-2016, 09:57
Banned

One of the first Go slows....

the best example known in this country.

gnu likes this.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 21-12-2016, 18:00
Woof Woof

Car: TF160 Disco 3.9 XR4i 4trak Yamaha XV535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun! View Post

In truth. It's never been easier to de-restrict modern mopeds. I don't know of anyone who has a restricted moped. From what I've read. The Police don't care. MOT Stations aren't interested and Insurance Companies still pay out, if there's a claim. It would seem that everyone in the UK is turning a 'blind eye' to moped modifications.
Never a truer word.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 21-12-2016, 21:38 Thread Starter

fun

they must be fun to ride, every open road you can ring it neck and be proud of the speed you get up to AND still be legal and below 70 mph, unlike bigger bikes where you have to watch out ,bigger bikes soon get over the limit to easy,
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 22-12-2016, 09:47
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyn Scothern View Post
they must be fun to ride, every open road you can ring it neck and be proud of the speed you get up to AND still be legal and below 70 mph, unlike bigger bikes where you have to watch out ,bigger bikes soon get over the limit to easy,
Your right with the theory,But a ped isnt the best way to get a real buzz.Not fast enough what you need is one of these then you can thrash the daylights out of it without doing warp speeds and landing in a jail cell.

The bike that reduced the learners to 125cc

gnu and Glyn Scothern like this.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 24-12-2016, 12:38
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
I used to have smaller version: Yamaha RD125LC. Laughably 'restricted' by a loosely welded washer in the exhaust partially blocking the exhaust flow. A few minutes removing it would see 12 BHP increased to 21. And if you wanted more a Micron exhaust, K&N pod and Boyston reeds would give it to you. It really went well as as it was such a light bike, easily keeping up with four-stroke 250s.

gnu
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 24-12-2016, 13:03
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
I used to have smaller version: Yamaha RD125LC. Laughably 'restricted' by a loosely welded washer in the exhaust partially blocking the exhaust flow. A few minutes removing it would see 12 BHP increased to 21. And if you wanted more a Micron exhaust, K&N pod and Boyston reeds would give it to you. It really went well as as it was such a light bike, easily keeping up with four-stroke 250s.
The full power RD125lc was indeed a quick 125,Theres no compensation for cc but they were quick for a 125.The only thing not std on the Rd250lc is modified reed cages.Makes a big difference.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 24-12-2016, 13:17
gnu
Supporter

Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dent View Post
The full power RD125lc was indeed a quick 125,Theres no compensation for cc but they were quick for a 125.....
Agreed, but the law said 125... Although I did keep mine after passing my test; because it was so much fun. As you would know, the LCs were quick, had a mental power-band, meaning you had to rev the nuts off them to get the best out of them.

I did big-bore kit one of mine. Funnily enough this did not seem to make it quicker, it just civilized it a bit removing the harsh power band and giving it more low down grunt.

gnu
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 25-12-2016, 12:26
Banned

Seen as it xmas heres some microns

Glyn Scothern and Nomad76 like this.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 25-12-2016, 18:44
gnu
Supporter

Garages
Nice, brings back memories.

Had my RD200DX nicked in London just after I'd finished restoring it - had microns etc just like that.

gnu
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 25-12-2016, 20:26
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
Nice, brings back memories.

Had my RD200DX nicked in London just after I'd finished restoring it - had microns etc just like that.

Good little bikes they are,light and quick enough to get a good buzz out of.Ive restored 2 of them.The first i had brought back from Germany,400E delivered.

from..

I do everything myself including all paint and zincing

Just what dinning rooms are made for

Im not a painter but the more they told me how hard candy paints were and not to do it,the more i wanted to.Ive seen a lot worse from so called painters.

And a ride,2nd one before the strip if i remember right.

Glyn Scothern likes this.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 25-12-2016, 20:36
Banned

My bit of fame...

I painted the tank on the lead bike used in this is England 86 by Shane meadows
Glyn Scothern and Nomad76 like this.