Engine Restore - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 29-09-2005, 20:05 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 75
Question Engine Restore

What do you think of Ametech Engin Restore Oil, does it REALLY work? My engine is low on compression and can be a bit smokey, I was thinking of trying it.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/AMETECH-ENGINE-RESTORE-OIL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 29-09-2005, 20:26

Car: Volvo S60 R, Rover 25 1.8Auto, VW Passat TDi Estate (Until I get rid of it)
Send a message via MSN to santa20
I tried this for a laugh in the end, tbh I dont think it did anything, no long term effects (past 1000 miles) anyway and anything before then was barely noticable
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 18:19 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 75
That's a shame. I heard some good reviews from others so I took a chance and tried it anyway and so far so good. I have noticed a real improvement.
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 19-10-2005, 20:04

Car: Volvo S60 R, Rover 25 1.8Auto, VW Passat TDi Estate (Until I get rid of it)
if its anything like mine it will disapear quickly and become a bag of nails lol
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 19-10-2005, 20:24

Car: Honda S2000
There was another one of these type "Direct from America" type products on flea-bay last year!!..

It was called `Cargo seal-up`, and was the latest product from the states, that you added to your coolant system and it will seal ANY HGF for the LIFE of the engine!! "100% satisfaction or money back" type thing!!!..

Knowing our `beloved` engines fondness for said head gaskets, I emailed the "UK importer/seller" and asked how the stuff worked!!!...

No answer!, came his reply!!......... just another `Snake oil` me thinks!!.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 19-10-2005, 22:28
Administrator

Car: 2006 330d M Sport
Garages
Waste of time! I think this is an advertising post/thread anyway!
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 19-10-2005, 22:30
Administrator

Car: 2006 330d M Sport
Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDavy
What do you think of Ametech Engin Restore Oil, does it REALLY work? My engine is low on compression and can be a bit smokey, I was thinking of trying it.
What, on a Rover 75??
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 20-10-2005, 01:42

Car: Rover 75CDT connSE
Send a message via Yahoo to shakenNstirred Send a message via Skype™ to shakenNstirred
even if it did work
once you started putting it in you would have to keep using it anyway or the engine would just go back to how it was before
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 20-10-2005, 07:36

I just need a new engine, will be approaching the 240k mark soon lol
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 20-10-2005, 07:59

Car: Other Manufacturer
why the hell would NASA develop it for two and four stroke engines? Didnt realise they put men into space with two stroke engines?
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 20-10-2005, 14:04

If these so called "ENGINE RESTORER" is so good,i think many car workshop will need to "CLOSE SHOP"[Due to no BUSINESS].!!
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 20-10-2005, 14:09

Car: Mini (The real one)
this is a similar product to doing the derv oil treatment in petrol engine's. it just contains detergent to flush the cr@p out of the engine
Steve
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 20-10-2005, 14:28

Car: MG ZTT
Smile

Ho Hum,

There is a lot of crap about but some of it works - to a degree.
My company used to import a 'restorer' that did work if you used it in accordance with it's capabilities but the 'snake oil' label killed it in the market.

They will not work if your engine is **acked , but will deposit PTFE or similar compounds to reduce leaks, tighten clearances etc.
I have used them in the Missus car to good effect.

I think the NASA claims are a little stretching the point, but the core technology involved in the science of 'tribology' did come from the space programme, just the yanks have more elastic advertising rules than us.

But, lets face it , pouring a can of stuff into a rocker box is no where near as much fun as spending a couple of weekends and a few hundred notes stripping down and rebuilding a motor !!
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 20-10-2005, 19:55

Car: Rover 200Vi 217bhp. Honda CTR FN2 - VTEC YOOO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve220
this is a similar product to doing the derv oil treatment in petrol engine's. it just contains detergent to flush the cr@p out of the engine
Steve
steve, would you suggest doing this on a k series engine or is it just rumour?
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 10:44
Trader Supporter

I have chemical analysis on this product but do not wish to publish it here in the interests of being fair so please contact me by email should you wish to know what the Fuchs Chemists findings were.
Cheers
Simon
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 10:46

Car: CityRover
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman
I have chemical analysis on this product but do not wish to publish it here in the interests of being fair so please contact me by email should you wish to know what the Fuchs Chemists findings were.
Cheers
Simon
We only want to know one thing, did it work or not?
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 10:57
Banned

Car: MG ZT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_216sli_Mk3
We only want to know one thing, did it work or not?
Course it didnt work!!, anyone who seriously believes worn bores,piston rings,valve guides bearing journals etc etc can magically be restored to like new by some quack potion you pour in your engine has serious mental health issues im afraid,.... yes sir your bores have 10 thou wear on them, never mind pour in my magic brew and new metal will grow in no time and your engine will be like the day left the factory,.. yeah right
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 11:01
Trader Supporter

The chemist was not impressed.

You can obtain a copy of his comments by emailing me sales@opieoils.co.uk

Would I use it? NO!

Cheers
Simon
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 11:30

Car: Silver Stormer ZR turbo.
It's a load of crap. Doesn't do a dickie bird. I tried it hoping it would quieten the piston slap and the noisy tappets, but hasn't made a jot of difference after 500 miles.

If you think about it sensibly there's just no way it could work.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 13:56

Car: MGB
Hi Simon, If your comments were addressed at me (enginerestore and Ametech ltd) i hav

Hi Simon, If your comments were addressed at me (enginerestore and Ametech ltd) i have no problem with you publishing the chemical composition of our RESTORE oil. I have been freely publishing the CSL copper silver lead formula for over 2 years now to give the sceptics something to chew on. In fact Ametech is the ONLY oil distribution company in the world that tells their clients what is in their oil and how it works. so go ahead Simon and copy me please. Many readers want to know does a litre of Ametech actually repair a worn engine in 500 miles and this is now up to you to tell them. They don't just want the oil analysis. I have over 6000 engines repaired in the UK now since November 2003 but no-one believes me of course. they don't even believe Quentin Willson in the Sunday Mirror who keeps raving about Ametech. Anyway i leave it up to you now. Thanks
Dave Burnett director Ametech Ltd, Engine Restore UK Ltd

I have 6000 testimonials here in the UK alone but here is one of our longest running engine tests with permission to print her contact details:

Christine A. Brown
6519 Georgia Drive
Randleman, NC 27317
336-495-9202
christine01@northstate.net
Dear Ametech Company:
I have a 1994 Ford Tempo that now has over 562 thousand miles on her! I use Restore at every oil change and have for the last 265 thousand miles. Is it your product that keeps my baby going? I think so! That and regular maintenance. Thanks for such an incredible product! Respectfully, Christine A. Brown