Rover Mini35 trace - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 30-04-2003, 17:52 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to JCoop
Question Rover Mini35 trace

Hello All,

I am the proud new owner of a 1994 German Spec Rover Mini35. I am trying to trace its manufacture origin and secure some form of documentation to that effect. I know it was made in Longbridge because of the VIN#s.

I need it to change the Title/registration info which was mistakenly input as 1998 Rover. The DMV in New York requires documentation better than a service record (which I have in the books).

Can anybody help?
Much appreciate it

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 30-04-2003, 20:11

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
You could try going to British Motor Industry Heritage Trust. They have production records for a lot of BMC/BL/AR/Rover products and issue certificates for a small fee. I have got one for my 1972 VandenPlas 1300. Give them your VIN number and if they have the record the certificate will contain:- make/model, car/chassis no., engine no, body no, original spec, colour/trim, date of build, date of dispatch, destination, other nos (keys, commission etc.) and details of factory fitted equipment. I'm not sure how far the records go though the 90's may be a little too late for the scope of their collection. Let us know how you get on as I am interested in obtaining one for my 94 Cooper Si. As I remember you should be able to buy the certificate online (www.?.?) but it may only apply to UK residents.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 10:49 Thread Starter

NG

I tried them, they were very quick to respond but as you suspected, my car is too young.
I have e-mailed MG-Rover but have not gotten a response.

Thanks

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 11:15

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
I think that contacting MG Rover is the way to go as they would be the ones with the records if they still exist. I would write 10 identical letters and post them a week apart, they will eventually get back to you. As you can probably tell from the other posts on the forum the company is rather busy at the moment, so you'll probably have to grab their attention.

Good Luck.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 12:12

Car: Volvo S40
Hi Ray

Welcome to the Forums

We have a number of US members here who have expressed a wish to personally import a modern MG or Rover into the United States - but have been bamboozled by all sorts of red tape and bureaucracy.

As far as I am aware, some United States military personnel in the UK have personally imported MG TFs and MG Fs..... but we have never quite got to the bottom of how exactly they did it. Can you offer any advice?

With reference to your search..... MG Rover at Longbridge is probably the best way to go as they retained all responsibility for the original Mini. Sadly, they are not legendary for their communication skills or responsiveness So as well as a letter - it may be worth calling them and / or faxing them. Contact details as below:

MG ROVER GROUP LIMITED
PO BOX 41
LONGBRIDGE
B31 2TB
UNITED KINGDOM

Tel. +44 121 475 2101
Fax. +44 121 482 2403

Keep us posted as to how you get along.... and any advice on personal imports would be very much appreciated

Regards

John
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 13:03 Thread Starter

Import procedures seem to be on case to case...

basis. Thanks for the welcome.

As a general rule, a car must be 25 years or older to make it in as a non-conforming (to EPA and DOT) informal entry goods. The rules and documents are easily obtainable on the web; however, each port of entry seems to be unique, and depends on the particular mood and disposition of the inspecting agents on that day.

My car was probably a fluke. I did not import it, rather I bought it already landed, cleared, titled and registered. In investigating, there have been a few post-78 cars that have made it into the US but I don't want to uncover a pandora's box. Most post-78 Minis I know of have gotten in legally as a "reshell"; usually an intact newer car with a pre-74 VIN plate. So my question is: is that more legal than a 94 that got in as a 98? Strange laws.

So I decided to retrace and document the car properly, then have DMV correct the title. My initial attempt got a wierd response: "Why change it?" "It will devalue your car if it's older. Leave it alone!." At least that's what the lady at DMV said. I also have collectible insurance on it now. Hopefully, with a correct certificate of manufacture or origin, I can get it all straightened out.

Ray
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 21:45

Car: Volvo S40
Thanks

And best of British luck with your quest..... just keep at 'em and you'll get there in the end

John

PS... which part of New York are you in? Visited NY a few times and have great memories
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2003, 15:17 Thread Starter

Which part of NY...?

Well, I live in the middle part of Long Island, town called Sea Cliff; have my business and office in Manhattan (NYC) smack in the middle 21st St. and 5th Ave.; and a country home in Southampton, in the easternmost end of Long Island, where I keep my Mini and other sorts of collectibles (junk according to my wife).

I'm going to try DMV helpline again and see if I can pursue a simpler method of changing the info on my title. Sometimes, given the right circumstance, time of day, if it's sunny out, and the clerk just had a good lunch, an affidavit may simply do it.