MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Where to monitor V6 engine coolant temp?

9K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  2bellys 
#1 ·
I’d like to monitor the temperature of my 2001 Freelander V6 coolant (rover kv6 2.5L). I’ve bought a device which has 2 temperature sensors. I plan to use one to measure the coolant coming out of the thermostat, flowing towards the top radiator intake. Been advised the coolant thermostat only opens when the engine is hot, to pass water into the radiator for cooling. Is there a better place to monitor the coolant to get the real coolant temperature, all the time?

As the device has 2 temp sensors, is there another temp reading, which would be helpful to monitor?

See less See more
#2 ·
remove your underbelly tray and look up at the front of the engine between the nearside of the exhaust manifold and the rear cam belt cover, you should see a little plate with 2x 8mm bolts holding it in. the mg zs 180 has an additional coolant temp sensor fitted here and as its on the cylinder head coolant circuit you will have very accurate coolant temps.

ill take some photos tomorrow for you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.